Dallin's Cheap Matchmaking Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys,

My name is Dallin. Im pretty new here. I have started on some armor of the guy I use for Multiplayer on Halo 3. I don't have alot of budget, so I am looking for cheap ways and trying to make a record of the money I spend for the stuff. WISH ME LUCK!!!! :)

pepakura hardened by just resin is the cheapest you could do. Technically you don't even need the resin.
and I got all my paper from school. WHo knew so many teachers order the wrong type of paper.

I'm guessing he is compiling all the cheapest materials and such so that there can be a solid sticky for the cheapest armor build possible.

It is a very good idea if not done already, I don't think it has been but I may be wrong.

Hey Guys,
I decided to get started on my Money log, I just bought some cardstock paper at Staples. 250 sheets for only 15 bucks. About 30 of those went down the drain when my brother wrecked my Pepped helmet. But ANYWAYS!!!! I am almost finished with a hayabusa chest plate, and I found a TON of cardboard outside in my garage. So I am using that to make the suit more reinforced and comfortable. And I also am using paper machette, because thats easy for me to get my hands onto, and plus the School Librarian was gonna throw out a TON of newspapers, so I just stopped her and Got alot of newspaper for my armor.

Money Update:
Cardstock Paper- $15
Pepakura Fitting the right size on me- Free
Cardboard for Reinforcement- Free
Newspaper for Paper Machette- Free

Thanks for reading,
Dallin

It would be really nice to see some pics of your armor progress. Also you can find the armor progress signatures by using the search function.

dpchief216 said:
Cardstock Paper- $15
Pepakura Fitting the right size on me- Free
Cardboard for Reinforcement- Free
The satisfaction of saving a bunch of money - Priceless.

Last edited by a moderator:
dpchief216 said:
Not to be a party pooper, but I'm almost positive I've read around here almost fifty million times that paper mache will not work for building armor.

I could be wrong, but I'm positive I've heard it before, because a lot of people have come up with these same ideas...

dpchief216 said:
I decided to get started on my Money log, I just bought some cardstock paper at Staples. 250 sheets for only 15 bucks.

FYI: You could have saved about $4 if you had bought your cardstock from WalMart. At the one by me, they sell 150 sheet packages of 110 lb cardstock for around $5.40

i was hoping that a thread would come up like this, the other day at harbor freight i bought a HUGE can like HUGE, of bondo body filler, and it was only 17.99, + a %20 off coupon. i hope someone else can use this tip. but im curious now, is there any wheres someone has found resin cheaper than walmart?

Slimguy379 said:
i was hoping that a thread would come up like this, the other day at harbor freight i bought a HUGE can like HUGE, of bondo body filler, and it was only 17.99, + a %20 off coupon. i hope someone else can use this tip. but im curious now, is there any wheres someone has found resin cheaper than walmart?

Doesn't Lowes sell it cheaper if you can compare prices or somehting. It says something like that in their motto. Paper mache, less detail, :cautious: mess. Here are some cheap prices i found at walmart

110 Lbs 150 sheets- 5-6 dollars
Resin-11 dollars -for a big can rather than 15 for a small can
Bondo- 8 dollars for a medium big can, probably enoguh to fill your desire
sandpaper 2 sheets- 2 bucks
Primer- $ 3
green paint - 2-3 bucks
metalic color-2

So all together for a good looking helmet without features cost about 34 dollars, or 50 for a little bit more material like putty knife etc. That's a pretyy cheap price, if you had money laying around. Unless you want to get hobo cheap and 10$ now that's hard

TheSpartanMjolnir said:
Doesn't Lowes sell it cheaper if you can compare prices or somehting. It says something like that in their motto. Paper mache, less detail, :cautious: mess. Here are some cheap prices i found at walmart

110 Lbs 150 sheets- 5-6 dollars
Resin-11 dollars -for a big can rather than 15 for a small can
Bondo- 8 dollars for a medium big can, probably enoguh to fill your desire
sandpaper 2 sheets- 2 bucks
Primer- $ 3
green paint - 2-3 bucks
metalic color-2

So all together for a good looking helmet without features cost about 34 dollars, or 50 for a little bit more material like putty knife etc. That's a pretyy cheap price, if you had money laying around. Unless you want to get hobo cheap and 10$ now that's hard

Well, I was thinking of making a whole suit, and I'm Kinda Broke at the Moment. The paper machette is going on the Inside of my armor, not the outside. My little brother owes me about $10, and I owe my friend $5. But HEY!!! Whats the problem with that? I'll Just do Pepakura and paper machette. And so, I don't have ANY money lying around. Plus I'm gonna mow the lawn this week if the weather is good.

Well guys, back on updates, I finished the pepakura just today of my base plate for the Hayabusa Chest armor. Now I just have to do the Hayabusa Attatchments. And also, MY DANG Brother wrecked my Mark VI helmet , so I now have 50% of my new helmet Pepped already. I got some more paper, and I found a hot glue gun and a TON of hotglue sticks from my mom's old daycare that she owned, like, 3 years ago. Still Works like a charm. I also have a friend who has a TON of spraypaint at his house. And the good part is, He just needs to get rid of it, so He's giving it for free :lol: . Plus it's gloss, so I won't have much trouble on detailing. And last, my bed needed to have some plastic removed from it. I pryed it off, and I realized something. IT WAS Dark YELLOW!!! So I cut it to the size of my helmet and Glued it on with hotglue. It looked great!!! Except for the part that my brother wrecked it!!!

Hey guys,

I have been currently requested to show progress on my armor. Well for starters, I just finished my Torso armor last night at one in the morning. [attachment=9129:Armor_Update_1.jpg]

But all I need to know is some ideas to split the armor in half so that when it's hardened I can actually put it on.

I am half way pepping my new helmet, and I will have those pics up either tomorrow or tonight.

Nice job on the chest armour there, dude. Looks like a very clean build, and you got the sizing spot on. Should still be enough space to put an undersuit on underneath, too.

Not many people are lucky enough to get it just right the first time around, lol.

Bit of advice on splitting the armour in half. Don't do that until after you've hardened it, as that way it stands a better chance of retaining the proper shape.

If you split it in half before hardening it, you could possibly experience some warping. Just a bit of friendly advice ;)

EDIT: For how to put it on/take it off, you could use a series of strap/clip assemblies to hold the two pieces of the chest armour together. If you're not sure what I mean, check out Adam's "Armor Strapping 101" thread stickied (pinned) in the "Creation Discussion" forum.

Just for reference, the cheapest quality armor (keyword there) I've seen built was for $30-$35 that was fully padded, strapped and visored. It was my reason for joining the forums... Then I found out it wasn't a member here lol. I'll see if I can dig up the old link for you. Goodluck.

Cheers,
Kensai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back