Dancin_Fool's Iron Man Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dancin Fool

Hey Everybody, been lurking around the boards for a while and seen some amazing work. This might not be halo but it's still armor related. I built an Iron Man costume for halloween last year. It turned out pretty sweet but then I discovered this place and the pepakura method. Well I've decided to slowly revamp my costume. I've got a few costumes on the go right now so this one will be slow going but I'll post updates as soon as I have them. So here it is my new helmet :D:D' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /> " border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> I just finished putting it together. I have some epoxy resin to coat it with and am going to attempt something a little different from fibreglass by using cheese cloth on the inside with the resin.

Here's a shot of my old Iron Man costume from last year with my good buddy Destro.

[attachment=8434:1096503.jpg]

Here's a couple shots of the new helmet sitting beside the old helmet, which has a little battle damage lol.

[attachment=8435:DSCN0925.JPG]

[attachment=8436:DSCN0920.JPG]

[attachment=8437:DSCN0926.JPG]

Finally here's a shot of my little work area.

[attachment=8438:DSCN0929.JPG]

*EDIT* It occurred to me a few people might want a shot of the 3D model I built this off of so here it is

[attachment=8439:ironman_mask.jpg]

Hey Ben, yeah I don't mind sharing it. I want to make a few tweaks to it first though, there was a few things that need adjustments after actually building it out. So once I do the tweaks I'll upload a copy. It was definitely a tough build lots of small parts.

Yeah I've been working on one too, but I put him aside for a while to finish up on my halo stuff.
Willing to hep you edit if you want the help.

th_100_2731.jpgth_100_2732.jpgth_100_2733.jpgth_100_2734.jpg

hey dancin, I've been looking and building a few ironman helmets, the sides and back are the most acuarte out there that I've seen and would love to use that if your sharing, The front seems a little weird, I cant put a finger on it, even so bondo and fiberglass can fix almost anything, so I would still love to built this one once your ready as well.

Hey Timecon, thanks for the compliments. I appreciate any feedback or criticisms you can give me. I have a few issues with the jaw, but I think that might somewhat be from warping because I haven't put any supports in yet. I'm going to put in a few cardboard supports before I resin it.

@sharkhead7854

The first build was completely a scratch build. I created a number of sketches based on a number of reference images I gathered from the interwebs. Once I had all my sketches I began building a simple frame out of cardboard. After the initial cardboard frame was build I covered all the cardboard with pink polystyrene foam about a half inch thick. I filled in all the gaps in the foam with Great Stuff expanding foam. From there I just started sanding down the foam and dremelling in all of the details. Threw a coat of this hardening stuff I got for foam which gave it a solid shell. Then it was final dremel and sanding coat of paint and the suit was ready to go. On top of that I built an arc reactor that attached to the suit but could also be worn under my shirt when I didn't have the suit on so I had a whole day of Tony Stark Halloween hahah.

Here's a picture of the unpainted armor
[attachment=8454:DSCN0328.JPG]

Here's a good shot of some of the pieces in progress
[attachment=8456:DSCN0377.JPG]

Here's a shot of just the "Arc Reactor"
[attachment=8458:DSCN0443.JPG]

@TheSpartanMjolnir

The helmet was built out of pieces of foamcore. I used a swing hinge on the mask so that it could swing up, but the helmet was a little small so it pulled my hair and kinda hurt whenever I opened the mask so it wasn't all I had hoped it to be. Oh and I used cheap dollar store blue sunglass lenses for in the eyes.

For fun here's one more shot of the finished costume, posing with my fiancee
[attachment=8457:n6773008...660_2891.jpg]

Alright here's the pdo for everyone interested in building this guy. I updated the jaw and the ears and adjusted the unfold so that the ear area should be a little area. All I ask from everyone is to credit me if you pass this model on or decide to build it. So without further ado:

[attachment=8490:ironman_mask2.jpg]

http://rapidshare.com/files/214040600/IronMan2.pdo

I'll give it a go tonight, since I have to babysit and got nothing else to do

Thank you very much!!

Awesome Timecon, did you get a chance to try it out? I'm hoping to get a chance to start the resining process on mine this afternoon!

Hey everybody, so I had a chance over the weekend to apply epoxy resin to my helmet. It turned out great!!! I haven't done the inside yet, on the inside I will be using cheesecloth rather than fibreglass because I'm working on this inside my apartment. While the area I work in is sealed from the rest of the place and well ventilated I'd rather not risk getting fibreglass particles scattered through the house. I'm hoping to get the inside done tomorrow night.

[attachment=8572:DSCN0933.JPG]

[attachment=8573:DSCN0936.JPG]

[attachment=8574:DSCN0940.JPG]

I found the epoxy resin really easy to work with. The stuff I bought was envirotex light from Michaels. A little expensive but super easy to use, just a 1 to 1 mixing ratio. It brushed on thick and it takes a while to dry so had plenty of time to work. Took me maybe 15 to 20 minutes to get the outside all resined.

Dude that is wicked I really like the reactor really nice mate. Im slowly working on my iron man but I think its fair to say mine will most definatly be up to the standard of yours mate its an amazing suit I cant wait to see the completed outfit.

Thanks man, Iron Man is a fun costume to build and to wear, hence why I'm updating mine. Probably be a while til I finish the entire updated suit though, have so many projects on the go hahaha. I've got lots planned for it though, lots of extra's. Good luck with your costume, are you scratch building it or using one of the available iron man pepakura files?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back