Dealing with fiberglass

Status
Not open for further replies.

sturekdrf

I am aware that perhaps this might not have been the best place to put this, however I am slightly concerned with using fiber glass as I know it can lead to health hazards. Do you really need to use fiberglass in order to solidify a armor piece? Also finding full information on working with resin and bondo I can't really seem to find anything on it, are the risks the same using resin?

I have a big interest in making props and other items, so any information on this would be helpful. Thanks :)

If you take the right precautions you'll be just fine. I've used this stuff for almost 20yrs, never had a problem.
1. Make sure you use a respirator every time, one with a filter for Organic fumes. And just because you are done applying the stuff doesn't mean you can take it off. As long as your still in the area you have to keep it on. The fumes will linger for several hours.
2. Wear protective clothing. Gloves, long sleeves. And try not to scratch while working with fiberglass.
3. Have good ventilation no matter where you work.
Now you don't need to use fiberglass to harden all your parts, I usually save the fiberglass foe the big stuff like chest peaces. I use rondo( bondo and resin mix) to harden the small parts. Some guy use both rondo and fiberglass at the same time. It just comes down to funding. You have to use the best method you can afford to get the quality you want. Check out Ben Streepers videos on the subject of rondo he literally walks through from a pep model to a finished rondo part.

You know I looked on youtube and was unable to find ben streepers videos, could you link I would greatly appreciate it :p... My biggest problem is I live in an apartment and I do have a patio but thats probably not the best place to do that with hehe. Do you need to use a respirator to protect your lungs with rondo?

Another option you can use is casting resin like smooth-cast 300 or 320. It's pretty much done the same as rondo, a layer or 2 on the inside or outside your choice and then slush-casting using your pep as the mold. You still should wear a respirator while working with it, but for me it cures much faster then fiberglass resin and the fumes dissipate quicker.

Box: no fiberglass mat has glass fibers in it and is a loose format so getting glass bits all over the place is going to happen. If it gets under your skin it will itch like crazy. Warm water a soap helps with the itch but it takes a few days to work itself out of your skin.

You can use Aqua resin. But its way more expensive, however I think there is a way to make it out of house hold items but don't quote me on it.

really i've only had that happen when working with insulation but i do agree wearing protective clothing cause getting it hardened or just dripping on your skin is really hard to clean off

I have to echo what DaSlacker said about casting resin. Casting resin + cheese cloth is almost equal to fiberglass + fiberglass resin.

Ventrue has a point there I always forget tto mention that part cause I use all in one filters so I don't have to keep switching back and forth. They are twice the price but I scored a few sets from work before I was layed off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back