DFT ODST build w.i.p

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyBox

Hello there!

I have been a long time fan of halo around 15 years now and being 17 that means most of my life! I have been wanting to make a halo costume for about four years and I have attempted to make them on three separate occasions but never got far. I first attempted with foam. And my cuts were horrendous and I failed to properly print the templates causing the end product to be squished. I then attempted to create something with pep. That went well but I cut myself a bunch and ruined a few clothes with glue. It also required far steadier hands than I really had. Lasly I attempted to use sintra or pvc foam I think it’s called. It went really well but the thin prices proved to be hard to properly attach together. I took a yea break and started thinking what went well and what didn’t. I went back to the drawing board and re printed out the templates I used so long ago. Finding out I had it all horribly scaled I wanted to try foam again. So I ordered some foam from tntcosplay and got it a few days later. And things went really well! And I decided to keep going. The armor might be a bit out of proportion cause I’m six five and a little overweight. But the helmet fits great! Just need to paint it a bit more and fix some flimsy bits and I’d be happy to bring it to a con. Probably add a visor too.

Attachments

• 69997478-42A6-4360-8336-B6DD3F812B35.jpeg
    69997478-42A6-4360-8336-B6DD3F812B35.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 251
  • 60A49084-01C8-4940-84DD-A1B7B77C5B73.jpeg
    60A49084-01C8-4940-84DD-A1B7B77C5B73.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 209
  • 9BBF10C8-0826-480E-99CE-49D2BC4B976F.jpeg
    9BBF10C8-0826-480E-99CE-49D2BC4B976F.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 243
Looking good. Far better than what I was able to do when I started. I couldn't even get the textured side flipped the right way on mine!

I admire your dedication a d efforts good sir!:notworthy:

I cant wait to see your further progress, and put your hand BEHIND the blade when cutting, and avoid cutting towards yourself if possible(if this is how you were got...)

Noone likes a missing hand. At least most people I think...

Hello there!

I have been working a bit on the suit, haven't made much progress on the body however as it is a bit small and I have run short on materials.
and I have two separate plans on how I could fix the problem. I can cut out a few small slabs of foam to extend the size of the shoulders/harness this would increase the size of it enough for me to properly fit inside it. or I could buy some elastic straps allowing me to stretch out the armor a bit... as of which I want to go with rn I am unsure. but I am leaning towards the first one, as it is something I can do right now.

I also decided to go on a bit of a learning experience since I have always been fascinated with the wild west and their gunslingers, I wanted to get my ODST a Revolver, but there is no canon revolver in the Halo universe (I think) I then found the Model 33 Revolver on the Halo Fanon site. and very quickly fell in love with the design!

But, that's the only reference image contained. no front view or anything so deciding the shape of it would be a bit difficult. I once again got a little dumb and failed to see that the size of it was already listed. its a little smaller than it should be by about 2.5 in or so, but it worked out as a decent test piece.

anyways I took the design of it and transformed it into a vector format allowing me to print it at any size without worrying about those pesky pixels.

I printed it out and started working from the handle up. and while I don't think it turned out the best, for a first attempt at creating my own template from scratch and not following any tutorials I think it went rather well. (I still haven't painted it nor have I added the cylinder).

You could also probably tell that I simplified a bunch of things on it such as missing details. that is where I think it would be easier to come back later and use some real thin craft foam to add in tiny details. I kinda got the idea from watching Punished props work on his destiny hand cannons.

I will attempt to create another version of it to scale this time but I am running a bit short on foam and likely only have enough to make it one more time.

Now onto replying to your comments!

First, we have HeroMinerR5!

Good job and I will suggest you to add details to your build because dft build template have little to no details that is needed for the helmet

So I have heard. As if right now I am still only just starting with the creation of my stuff so I am going for something a bit more beginner esk and as I get better with my skills I will either go back and improve upon this helmet or create an entirely new one. my main objective right now is to get a finished suit so I can tell my parents that I didn't waste both mine and their money on a project I will never finish.

Secondly, Elcorio!

Looking good. Far better than what I was able to do when I started. I couldn't even get the textured side flipped the right way on mine!

Haha, if it makes you feel any better this is my second attempt with EVA foam, as I previously said, my first attempt resulted in horrendous scaling problems as I had it set to "fit to page" seems we both had our mistakes!

And lastly we have xXDashIVXx!

I admire your dedication a d efforts good sir!:notworthy:

I cant wait to see your further progress, and put your hand BEHIND the blade when cutting, and avoid cutting towards yourself if possible(if this is how you were got...)

Noone likes a missing hand. At least most people I think...

Thanks for the tip! after I finish this project as a learning experience, I really want to create my favorite armor combo from H5 (Vigilant Body / Helioskrill Helm) and I plan to start doing my armor a bit differently. I don't know if you have ever seen impact props but the way they built their Master Chief suit is they pepped the head, and used foam for the body.

Thanks for the support guys! if you have any more questions, bits of feedback or just general comments feel free to leave them I am all ears!

Yeah, alot of people go that method. It's really sad that the suit got lost, but part two of the new suit build video is coming out really soon! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back