Foam Dire's ODST (T3-ish?)

Dire

Sr Member
Be cool to be a trooper (heard it was much comfier to wear than those stuck up spartans).
Anyway got a couple of screen shots off of ArtStation for a pretty detailed rendering of the ODST BDU, and looks pretty simple to achieve for possibly a T3 quality build, but I'll load those pics up first on this post.

Oh, and a warning, full size pics instead of the thumbnail stuff. Not sure who the OG artist was, but thanks for the reference, whoever you may be!

Rookie.jpg

Thumbnail.jpg

Legs.jpg

UnderArmor.jpg

So I'll tackle the "main torso" after work today which the plan will be using a mix of 2mm, 4mm, and 10mm foam and then reusing the templates for the extra undersuit detail, which will probably never be seen but it's probably essential to get a T3 finish, so here are the plans. Also fullsize pic.
UnderArmor.jpg

Wishful thinking that I would have the base torso bits done, but I don't, just the top half of the shoulder straps and the middle chest, but here are the pics of that at least.
20230111_191005.jpg
20230111_191007.jpg
20230111_191012.jpg
20230111_191022.jpg
Anyway, I think after work today, I will finish the front of the torso, and maybe the back, oh and maybe the rest of the straps or all of it, pffft as if right?

Be cool to be a trooper (heard it was much comfier to wear than those stuck up spartans).
Anyway got a couple of screen shots off of ArtStation for a pretty detailed rendering of the ODST BDU, and looks pretty simple to achieve for possibly a T3 quality build, but I'll load those pics up first on this post.

Oh, and a warning, full size pics instead of the thumbnail stuff. Not sure who the OG artist was, but thanks for the reference, whoever you may be!

View attachment 326810
View attachment 326811
View attachment 326812
View attachment 326813
Awesome to have another ODST! What kind of build will your suit(foam or hybrid)?

Just basic lame, boring foam, with a resin/3d printed helmet, and maybe a sprinkle of sintra
Foam's a great medium, I still can't wrap my head around how you guys pull off full armor sets with great detail using it. I can't wait to see you finish it!

Ladies and other troopers, I want an opinion about this undersuit bit, the render has it on top of the armor, but its possible the artist did that to show the detail, so should I put it under the armor?
UnderArmor.jpg

I think I'm right, just want to see what you peeps think?

I would agree with you that the artist did it for bonus detail. I think it would be a good touch but like you said the armor would cover a majority of it. In my mind it would depend on if the time to make that added detail would be worth it to how much it would be seen.

Not too sure what you mean by the undersuit being on top of the armour, as in your top posts, it shows the armour on top - unless I'm looking at the wrong layers.
1673664237390.png

If you're wondering what level of detail to make for the undersuit, here's some things to keep in mind; like Cats said, you likely won't see it with the armour covering it. Since you're aiming for T3, you may want to take a look at this section in the Deployment FAQ, and check who the artist for the ODST is, to make sure they are officially associated with Microsoft. And in regards to T3, you'd want that level of detail to hit the mark (assuming the concept is approved for deployment). And finally, having all those sections that are broken up might be more comfortable and allow for more flexibility.

Not too sure what you mean by the undersuit being on top of the armour, as in your top posts, it shows the armour on top - unless I'm looking at the wrong layers.
View attachment 326872

If you're wondering what level of detail to make for the undersuit, here's some things to keep in mind; like Cats said, you likely won't see it with the armour covering it. Since you're aiming for T3, you may want to take a look at this section in the Deployment FAQ, and check who the artist for the ODST is, to make sure they are officially associated with Microsoft. And in regards to T3, you'd want that level of detail to hit the mark (assuming the concept is approved for deployment). And finally, having all those sections that are broken up might be more comfortable and allow for more flexibility.
I'm talking about the base torso without the ODST chest, stomach, torso, and so on, but thanks for the info, didn't even know about the announcement forums, embarrassing really

I would agree with you that the artist did it for bonus detail. I think it would be a good touch but like you said the armor would cover a majority of it. In my mind it would depend on if the time to make that added detail would be worth it to how much it would be seen.
Yeah, that is true, might just do like the cool looking "ab wrap" part of it

Did not know of such a thing
it offers quite a bit of details for ODST builds. Just watch some pieces like the waist as they are mirrored parts.

Also I tried to pour a resin casted helmet with my friends mold, but the resin was really tacky, I poured a 1:1 mix or resin and hardener, but it was like 45 outside and just didnt think about the temperature, so I'll wait until its warmer outside, because I refuse to do that indoors, ugh the smell alone, so cool, after work I will work on the torso wing things and pick up a big roll of 2mm and 4mm foam, but you guys don't need to know about that stuff.

Last edited:
Morning and afternoon, depending on your time zones, I got the side torso plates built! Been kicking around the idea and drilling holes in the right spots and putting "set screws" in the holes, it should look pretty cool, alot of the pieces on this thing have like these screw/rivet things, but anyway here is the side plates.

20230118_162319.jpg
Oh and I also got the neck seal built and attached to the main torso, here is a reference pic, didn't know Dutch had such a sour face sometimes.
20230109_132024.jpg

And Buck.
20230109_132056.jpg

And here is mine. Also pic heavy, just a warning for the peeps with less optimal internet
20230118_142012.jpg

20230118_142100.jpg

20230118_162303.jpg

20230118_162306.jpg

20230118_162310.jpg

20230118_162313.jpg

Oh and I made a neck "gaiter" its missing a couple of details, just ran out of 2mm foam, I'll add those details later today and decide which piece to start next, maybe the belt plate or something, dunno yet.

This thread is more than 3 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back