Do-It-Yourself Packing Tape Body Molds and Casts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nicely done. I've done a duct tape "mannequin" in the past. all i remember is that I should have put down a moisturerizer or a vaseline to my skin.

Not to say that I am one who doesn't follow instructions, but my advice would be to pay close attention to the part about getting help from a friend. If your buddy is sitting right there, go ahead and let him cut the tape off of your bicep for you. I now know that if you try hard enough, it is possible to cut yourself with bandage scissors and when something requires that much effort, the results are quite painful, bruised and bloody.

After the 10th person at the office asked what happened, I decided to tell my coworkers that I was bitten by a monkey. They believe me.

injury013.jpg

Yeah, working with an assistant is pretty much a requirement for this. I had some good marks like that too until I found some bandage scissors.

Even with bandage scissors, you have to get someone to help you.

This would be a great Instructable. They do contests..

My intentions were to start here, then add it to a couple other craft sites too. The tutorial needs to be boiled down though before I take it on the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spartan 051 said:
i wounder if spase will be using this for his twiggy Jr?

Yes... Twiggy senior is going to get modified as well..., only differences are that the legs have no feet so i can get the piece on over the foot...

And mine has Double Duce punching action (strong bad reference anyone?)

Nice tutorial by the way.

Spase said:
Yes... Twiggy senior is going to get modified as well..., only differences are that the legs have no feet so i can get the piece on over the foot...

:D .. Posie's limbs are removable for that same purpose.. :D

But who wants to wrestle boots onto a mannequin anyway!

I never though of adding action features! Next one will have 'Kung-Fu Grip' and will salute when you pull the lever on his back!

;)

Spase said:
Yes... Twiggy senior is going to get modified as well...

Would be kind of funny to see you and adam wrap each other. But i could see some friend coming over in the middle of it and thinking your on some packing tape fetish

colmon_9 said:

Absolutely. Great stuff is just a more commercially available brand of expanding urethane foam.. the stuff you listed if probably better in quality, but more expensive. Smooth-On and other mold supply companies also sell their own brands of this stuff.

An update to this is that after 2 weeks of sitting in my hot garage a couple of these cast busts have shrunken a little. I suspect that I should have sealed them with a coat of paint after they were cast. I suspect that escaping gases deflated the foam a little.

I'll add this to the tutorial.

Just lurking around and I don't know how I missed this. DAMN that is a sweet idea. INSTRUCTABLES is so calling for you. I know I have to echo what Vrogy said here, but it's true. You should totally do one. Thanks for the time and info on doing this for the rest of us to learn. Many thanks kind sir.!

Thanks! I will be sure to get this slimmed down a bit so that I can post it at Instructables and Make.

For those of you who have been asking, the next part of this tutorial is about 2/3 done. All I need is a day to get the rest of it completed.. so I'll have it posted as soon as possible. I'm juggling a few projects currently, but this one is up there on the list.

I'll be making a Tutorial on how to do a diffrent way to lifecast. probably a little more accurate. soon. i will be a tutorial person maybe become a mod if allowed. nice tutorial though.

Wishful thinking can't hurt, but telling everyone thats your intention might. :eek:

Still if you say you're going to make a tutorial, go for it! Lets see it!

Sean Bradley said:
Wishful thinking can't hurt, but telling everyone thats your intention might. :eek:

Still if you say you're going to make a tutorial, go for it! Lets see it!

ok i need to cash in some money to lowes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back