DOT strength motorcycle helmet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
colmon_9 said:
there was an airbrused one on ebay a while ago, but you wont find an actual dot aproved chief helm

Well I'm not looking for something DOT approved, but rather something strong enough that if it were tested, it would pass DOT, but not weighing significantly more than today's motorcycle helmets.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it will be hassle free though... However motorcycle helmets are DOT approved on the honor system, meaning the manufacturer says yeah it's DOT approved, and that's good enough. You should look at modifying a helmet, maybe make some pepakura stuff and fit it onto a normal dot helmet. That one on ebay that was airbrushed, had limited visibility, not really a good idea. Though, you won't be able to open your visor once you do modify it.

Jim said:
I don't think it will be hassle free though... However motorcycle helmets are DOT approved on the honor system, meaning the manufacturer says yeah it's DOT approved, and that's good enough. You should look at modifying a helmet, maybe make some pepakura stuff and fit it onto a normal dot helmet. That one on ebay that was airbrushed, had limited visibility, not really a good idea. Though, you won't be able to open your visor once you do modify it.

I think I'll do that and just make my own out of a smaller Shoei X-eleven(they're smaller than the RF1000) helmet.

I probable wont be able to post here anymore, because Doom feels that my avatar is inappropriate for children. Nevermind the fact that I see this kind of revealing attire on women all the time at beaches and water-parks in front of many young children. Whether it's an appropriate pic for this forum is another story, but his reasoning about the children is flawed as I have demonstrated...

Thanks for the help guys and keep on fraggin' it up!

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe he thinks it's inappropriate because it's passing along a bad message... That much potential road rash could really hurt. It's one thing riding without proper gear, but taking a passenger without proper gear, or as little as that... Then again, I think it's probably inappropriate for the obvious reason, and why not just change it, it is their site, you're their guest here... It's a pretty cool site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back