DragonCon 2018 Parade

Status
Not open for further replies.

FANGS

Commanding Officer
Community Staff
Division Staff
I've edited this first post to include the instructions as I've been told that people are confused.

JULY 1ST IS THE LAST DAY TO SIGN UP TO MARCH.

YOU WILL NOT GET ON THE LIST IF YOU WAIT LONGER.

YOU MUST HAVE A 405th COSTUME.

YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE DEPLOYED.

YOU CANNOT SIGN UP HANDLERS/NON- COSTUMED/NON-405th MEMBERS.

INCLUDE YOUR FULL REAL NAME.

IF YOU DON'T HAVE 50 POSTS/90 DAYS AND AREN'T PART OF A REGIMENT TALK TO ME FIRST.

YOU MUST HAVE A SATURDAY DCON PASS TO MARCH.

ORIGINAL POST BELOW - NO NEED TO READ
Good morning, 405th!

Parade sign up, also now known as the Hunger Games, happened yesterday. It closed within 6 hours. WOW!

We're signed up for 80 people. We're having a larger contingent of UNSC Capitol members joining us again this year (there are more of them typically every second year). Annnnnd.....we may also have UNSC's Warthog with us! Now, that all depends on getting it there etc. and of course, approval from the parade, but it's certainly exciting! THANK YOU UNSC CAPITOL!!

The parade organizers really want groups to have their numbers solidified by mid-July and part of me really wants to play by that request because Jan has always been very good to me whether I'm organizing for the 501st or the 405th. However, for the time being, I'm going to continue to leave registration until the beginning of August. We integrate UNSC with us as well as those who show up parade day so I feel like we do our part in making sure people can march.

PLEASE DO NOT SIGN UP HERE YET. ANYONE WHO SIGNS UP NOW ANYWAY WILL BE IGNORED AND POTENTIALLY BEATEN WITH A WET NOODLE. Seriously guys.....until August, your registration counts for nothing and will not be included in the numbers once registration opens so just don't. The only reason I'm not locking this thread is because I want people to have a place to ask questions.

As usual, we want to have 99.999% of people in Halo costumes. We do need a few handlers and again, we want those handlers to be people willing to help everyone, not just the person they are there with, and have some experience in handling. Handlers need to be a little bossy from time to time to keep things going and they need to watch out for members who are in trouble due to costume malfunctions, over heating or bad crowd interactions (although this last one has thankfully never happened). Please keep all of this in mind over the coming months so once registration opens you know that any non-costumed requests may be denied.

There will be a flurry of updates likely in the last couple of weeks before the parade when DCon releases all of their parade information etc. For now, we'll assume that meet up happens as it always does but we'll set that in stone once we have all of the details.

Last edited:
Last year we had two individuals step out of the crowd and join into the parade with us. They did not meet up in the muster area before the parade, they simply stepped out of the crowd and joined in once the parade was already in motion and marching.

We can't have this happen again. We need everyone to follow all the Rules and proper procedures or we risk not being allowed to March in the parade at all.

Change of plans everyone. Jan who is the main organizer for the Parade has contacted me and is asking that we provide her with any unused registrations in the first week of July. Therefore, I need you all to let me know whether or not you will be attending by Sunday, July 1st.

Rules:

1. Everyone registered MUST have 405th gear.
2. Everyone registered MUST be registered by forum name and real name.
3. You CAN register someone else, but you cannot register them as a "guest". See number 2.
4. We will NOT be registering any handlers at this time. IF YOU REQUIRE A HANDER DUE TO SOME SORT OF MEDICAL CONCERN, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE SO WE CAN ENSURE YOU ARE LOOKED AFTER IN TERMS OF HAVING YOUR HANDLER REGISTERED.
5. If you are a dual member of the 405th and UNSC Capitol - please state that you are. Rick will be collecting UNSC names and providing them to me. I don't at all mind which ever group you are technically marching with but I do want to ensure that you are only counted once.
6. All those marching must be a full member with 50 posts/90 days and/or be part of a Regiment already. If you do NOT have this, please come talk to me.
7. You do not need to be deployed to march, but we would love for you to take the opportunity to get your deployment going or get your photos taken at DCon to submit on your return. It's also a great time to get some feedback from other members in person.
8. You MUST have a Saturday or Weekend pass for DCon to march. You must also have that pass on you for the parade. It doesn't have to be visible but you do need to be able to show it if asked.
9. At this time, we cannot guarantee that children will be allowed. It will depend 100% on our member numbers. Come talk to me if this is an issue for you. IF we have spares and can add in a couple of kids, we'll need them to be Halo-ified. We aren't supposed to have non-costumed people marching. We make the exception for a few handlers out of necessity but we need to keep that to a minimum. Again, come talk to me and let's see what we can figure out.

I know that some of you won't know that early whether or not you are definitely going but please understand that us holding spots we don't use means that others don't get the chance to march. As well, if you sign up for a spot, DO NOT MISS THE PARADE. I get it, it's easy to stay out way too late and not be in any shape to march. But you will be taking a spot from someone else - potentially even another member of the 405th so treat Friday night as a non-excessive partying night so that you're good to go for Saturday morning. We end up with sometimes around 15 - 20 people who bail on us for the Parade. If this continues, I'm going to have to start keeping track and you won't be able to sign up the following year without a really good reason.

Meet up times and locations etc. will be posted much closer to the date.

If you have any questions or concerns about any of this, please message me asap!

P.S.: I know all of this seems a little harsh, but with the Parade wanting us to be accountable for not only having 100% costumes in the parade (we cannot - we need at least a couple non-costumed to herd the cats) and being accountable for the number of badges we take each year, I am forced to be a little more strict with all of this. The demand to be in the parade grows each year and I have no doubt that if they start seeing that we aren't using what we ask for properly, they will start putting a cap on how many we can ask for.

Last edited:
In this thread.

I've edited my post to remind folks that you do need to be a full member (ie: 50 posts/90 days or part of a Regiment already), but you do not need to be deployed. Certainly we would love if you were, but it is not a requirement to march with us.

Last edited:
Sign me up as Cortana, please! :D
Allayna Kaltiainen / Canadian Regiment

FANGS Cadet While I'll be in costume too, I don't mind helping out as a handler if needed.

Last edited:
Mark Pafford - Crackhead09 - Halo 3 chief
Melissa Gilbert - accentkisses - Halo 3 Cortana

Last edited:
Reminder of point 2 Above:
2. Everyone registered MUST be registered by forum name and real name

If you do not feel comfortable posting your real name be sure to PM it to Anegla.

James Ficker - "Cadet - MidWest Regiment. Halo Combat Evolved Mark V.

Thanks, Cadet!

Dogface and Scottishlass (Halo Kitty) are cleared! I know the reason behind the screen names only so it's all good!

As another reminder though, I cannot guarantee the kids can come with us. I know it sucks and I know it means that some may not be able to march but unfortunately until I know if we have spare ribbons, I cannot reserve ribbons for children. We also have the parade rule of people marching being in costume. We make the exception for a few handlers because it is a necessity, but if we start adding in more non-costumed members, we're going to get complaints from the organizers.

So! IF we can allow a few kids with us I'm going to need them to be semi- Halo-ified. Whether we get them a little black hat and add on a 405th patch or see what we can come up with for an easy cadet costume etc., we'll have to think of something. I hope you all understand. Come talk to me if this causes issues for you. This is not yet a hard no. It is a wait and see. If we could get them in without the band/ribbon, I would. But at this point everyone needs one of those to march.

Also another important reminder - YOU MUST HAVE A SATURDAY OR WEEKEND PASS FOR DCON TO MARCH. It must be on you at the time of the parade.

Lets make it 3 years in a row!

Anthony Ortiz - Bucs37DK - Southern Regiment
Zoe Ortiz - zeta - Southern Regiment

So it goes without saying but sometimes I'm ridiculous. Calldar's daughter hasn't been six in about 12 years. My brain went right past Noble and right to 6. Seriously, riduculous. Good grief.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back