Dual light strips all over MC Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew

Jr Member
Just curious if anyone knows where ALL of them are. They're those little strips that turn bright blue when you go in the dark on the game and they're always in sets of two. Since they're only apparent when MC's in the dark i'm just going to paint those strips with blue glow in the dark spray. Instead of wiring all those freekin LEDs.

This is a pretty good idea.

Although now I'm fantasizing about wiring them all in, and using a light sensor so when I'm in the dark it does it automatically... :lol: Wow, haha.

lol. ready to pay tons of more money? lol. i cant imagine drilling into my armor for that. but if some other expert did it it woud be da ****!

Well I don't know if it would be tons more money. LEDs aren't too expensive, especially when you buy in bulk.

Plus, it's just a glow, right? It's not like a light. So you'd also have to find some sort of foggy lens to put the LED behind.

Still, a diagram of where these lights were would be wicked...

i agree leds are cheap. The thing that would cost the most is the sensor that makes it turn on when it gets dark.

Werd Nal said:
i agree leds are cheap. The thing that would cost the most is the sensor that makes it turn on when it gets dark.
Lol, a cheap photocell.

Last edited by a moderator:
You may be surprised. It's just a type of resistor.

I had this little "locker alarm" build-it-yourself kit when I was a kid. You'd hide it in a drawer (or locker) and when somebody opened it, and it was exposed to light, it would beep.

Same concept, really.

Nicktendo said:
You may be surprised. It's just a type of resistor.

I had this little "locker alarm" build-it-yourself kit when I was a kid. You'd hide it in a drawer (or locker) and when somebody opened it, and it was exposed to light, it would beep.

Same concept, really.
Oh man, I still have mine. ;)

hey man i have no clue. If you know what you're doin' LEDs would be 10 times more bitchin than glow paint. I THINK ITS TUTORIAL TIME. DO IT DO IT DO IT!

Looks to me like the light strips are:
Right above the knee, right on the shoulder thing (the raised crests on the shoulders)
and as far as I can tell with my RRoD'd 360 - there's one light right below the emblem.
This is with Hayabusa chest and Scout shoulders.

I'm talking all MARK VI armor can anyone go to theater and check their last game when they went into a darkinsh place with MARK VI armor? Thanks guys.

Its a bit late for me to boot up my 360, but judging by this screenshot:
Halo3_Last-Resort_3rd-person-04.jpg

I would say there is:
-one on either side of the back of the helmet (not the flashlight lights)
-one on each shoulder
-one on each side of the back piece
-one on each side of the chest piece
-one on each knee
-one on the back of the calf
Whether there are two strips or one for each of these places I do not know, check the screenshot and search for a couple more sources.

Idea: 3mm LEDs inserted into pieces of clear plastic spread light throughout the plastic, so you could sand the "out" side so it glows. This'd let you use the light sensor electronics.

I think you could use a high-guage, small wire to run power down from a helmet/chest battery, and these connectors
http://www.xdealers.com/images/JST.jpg
right under the edges of armor to make getting it all on and off easier.

Another thing that might come in handy is hot glue. It cools clear, so you might be able to cut a hole where you want a light, tape over the outside, glue the LED, soldered to wiring, on the inside, then take the tape off the outside and have the flat panel with a nice bright, diffuse light.

The alternative to this I think is EL strips or wire, which are a royal pain to work with.. they're a bitch to solder, and require high-voltage transformers to get the voltage they need.

I'm actually really considering tackling this.

That is, of course, once my armor is done. So, it won't be anytime soon...

Nicktendo said:
I'm actually really considering tackling this.

That is, of course, once my armor is done. So, it won't be anytime soon...

Awesome. Let us know when you get that far, I know I can definitely be of some help with the electronics if you need it.1

Vrogy, The way to go is EL wire or strips. I just built my kid a new gaming computer, & we stuffed a ton of blinky lightbars, EL-wires & panels into it, & they where fairly cheap, & easy to work with. The thing lights up an entire room like a rave... I might have over done it... ;)

You can get ELwire kits that are under $20, & come with a yard or two of wire, the driver board, & it runs off a 9volt battery. Lots of different colors too... Check out case-mod sites or just run a google for EL-wire.

Wolf

herogear said:
Vrogy, The way to go is EL wire or strips. I just built my kid a new gaming computer, & we stuffed a ton of blinky lightbars, EL-wires & panels into it, & they where fairly cheap, & easy to work with. The thing lights up an entire room like a rave... I might have over done it... ;)

You can get ELwire kits that are under $20, & come with a yard or two of wire, the driver board, & it runs off a 9volt battery. Lots of different colors too... Check out case-mod sites or just run a google for EL-wire.

Wolf

Eh, to each his own. I don't think the amperages that EL hardware runs at make its HV dangerous, but I still don't like the idea of it near my sweatiness.

Also, for the record, the unit cost of hot glue, masking tape, and ebay'd Taiwanese LEDs pwns anything the EL world can dream of ;)

One more parting thought: if you had the right battery, you could have just one wire running between the thigh armor and the chest on either side. :D

Oh, and I was bored, so:
1948325878_bd9c8c2ff3_o.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back