Dual light strips all over MC Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vrogy said:
Idea: 3mm LEDs inserted into pieces of clear plastic spread light throughout the plastic, so you could sand the "out" side so it glows.
Hit the nail on the head.
Ive been thinking about this for a while now and i'm going to do this when i get all my armor situated

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicktendo said:
Missed a couple :whistle:

Hehe, MC has teatlamps. I was going by the list posted earlier, btw. Image should be updated.

Here are a couple of reference pics from H3 that I grabbed yesterday. All VI armor, colors are Green with Yellow.

Front Chest Plate
[attachment=1585:11209586_Full.jpg]

Back Chest Plate.
[attachment=1589:11208700_Full.jpg]

Back of the leg.
[attachment=1586:11210480_Full.jpg]

Front Thigh.
[attachment=1587:11210571_Full.jpg]

Right Arm.
[attachment=1588:11208798_Full.jpg]

Hope these help.

I m sure you could use some EL wire for some if you want to for some of the spots seems like it might work well.

I think I'm going to do a mockup of this soon with the hotglue+LED method.. I've already got the stuff sitting on my bench, might as well see how it looks.

I kind of know what you mean Vrogy but is there and way to wire them all to one swith but still keep your armor as seperate pieces? Either make them wireless or make it so many wires come out ofthe the chest piece and plug into the other armor pieces so you could unplug them as you take them off.

Very cool ideas! I have one to throw into the pot for all. Sculpey makes a translucent clay that you can mold into any shape then bake to harden. I think this substance would work great for the light application. With a bright LED behind it should look much like the in game pics.

Spartan 161 said:
Very cool ideas! I have one to throw into the pot for all. Sculpey makes a translucent clay that you can mold into any shape then bake to harden. I think this substance would work great for the light application. With a bright LED behind it should look much like the in game pics.
Sculpting the little light bars out of clay, baking, and sanding down (although time consuming) definitely sounds like it could be easier for those who don't want to cut fit pieces of plexiglass or something.

Or for the truly lazy:
glowing paint

I might get some to see how well it works after I get my armor early next year. There are a lot of colors to choose from, some are very bright. It would be good for people who prefer not to have a bunch of wires to deal with and switches to turn on when they suit up.

Nicktendo said:
Sculpting the little light bars out of clay, baking, and sanding down (although time consuming) definitely sounds like it could be easier for those who don't want to cut fit pieces of plexiglass or something.

That's what I thought lol. However The Glue stick Idea sounds like a good one to me as well. If I get a chance this weekend I will make a mock up with the sculpey and post it here if no one has any objections.

Nicktendo said:
Well I don't know if it would be tons more money. LEDs aren't too expensive, especially when you buy in bulk.

Plus, it's just a glow, right? It's not like a light. So you'd also have to find some sort of foggy lens to put the LED behind.

Still, a diagram of where these lights were would be wicked...

i was just going to use plexiglass that I sanded the top of it with 400 grit or so. Then put a couple LED's hot glued to them in the back using a single 9volt batt and a resisitor. Its a similair setup that I have in my vader belt boxes. And it lasts for about a year with that setup and avg use.

has anyone thought of using fiber optics? im not sure how much it cost but u would only need one light source for the whole suit (that is if its all wired not just individual pieces) but that would cut down on the power needed to light the spots significantly if u ask me cuz less light sources = longer battery life

does any one know anything more about this stuff? i think it's called electroluminescent film. i've seen in low current nightlights and if the color can be changed it would look identical to those strips your talkin about.

It's a film? That'd be awesome......and perfect :D

Hopefully someone knows a more about it than I do...

~Epyon

LED mod for Guitar Hero Guitars
Resin Pieces
I think if you make little colored resin pieces to match your armor, you could just use white LEDs to make them glow the right color. The resin looks good, makes the lights dimmer, so they're not so overpowering

I think I would personally go with the EL stuff. Less work, acceptable look. I haven't looked at the power requirements, but if it's possible, those little button batteries could power them and save space. Use a mirco switch to turn them on and off.

As for running all the lights off one battery/circuit - that may be a little tough. Possibly wire the undersuit so that each individual piece plugs into the suit.
Since the undersuit has textures to it already, you could sew 'tunnels' into it and run some black wire through it to the appropriate places. Put the switch and batteries on the side of the cod piece, in the little 'pouches.'

just my 2cents.

Let me just say now that MC's real armor lights re blue. look me up on bungie.net to see a BUNCH of reference pics.... gamertagg= masterchief968

I think LEDs would be too bright for anything but multiplayer style armor. MC's lights aren't very bright. I bought some of that glowing paint. Its not here yet, but I share pics when I get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back