Duke's Prometheus Engineer Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
...it looks awesome!:lol

advice, anyone? I feel like I'm doing it wrong.:)

Thanks man! From the sound of it, I don't think you're doing anything wrong. My guess is that it comes down to patience. If you haven't watched them yet, I really recommend Cereal Kill3r's youtube videos on resin and bondo. I use those same techniques and maybe a couple other tricks I've picked up from the site. My younger brothers complain about the same thing you did. They are just as excited to build as I am and they have all of the same abilities that I do (they can hold a sander, they know how to apply putty), but after 20 minutes of sanding they say, "ah yeah that's good right?" Kinda like how you mentioned.. If it was me I would then say, "oh no, I missed a spot." 4 hours later and saying that I missed a spot 50 more times ..that's when I am done. And I hate doing it, don't let anyone lie to you. It is not fun to sit in a dusty room holding a sander for 4-8 hours, but it is the end result that makes it worth it. Maybe, I am wrong and I missed the mark, but this is my advise: patience. On this helmet here I can tell you that I have spent 8 hours just sanding, not including applying the bondo.

PS: I don't know if the BLEEEGHHH was the sound of your sander, but it is the sound of my sander and it made me laugh. :)

Wow Duke, this helmet looks great! On a side note, have you ever done any alien props? Just wondering because of the subject of this build.

Wow Duke, this helmet looks great! On a side note, have you ever done any alien props? Just wondering because of the subject of this build.

No I haven't. The alien head would be cool, but also super hard to make.

Update: Look who has a nose!
20161127_143544_zpsbgbetuds.jpg

Attachments

• 20161127_143544_zpsbgbetuds.jpg
    20161127_143544_zpsbgbetuds.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 288
The nose detail looks really good! How long did the foam parts for it take you?

Thanks! It's hard to say because I did watch TV while doing it (2nd season of Dark Matters is on Netflix!) but I would say 6-8 hours. Way longer than I expected. :/

Thanks! It's hard to say because I did watch TV while doing it (2nd season of Dark Matters is on Netflix!) but I would say 6-8 hours. Way longer than I expected. :/

Is dark matter a good show? I saw it on Netflix and might watch it after I finish Supernatural

I was wondering if that's what it would be like. I just watched Serenity again yesterday and was wishing that Firefly would've had more seasons:(

I agree. Here's my advice, this is what I do for all new entertainment (movies, games, TV shows) Go into thinking it is going to be crap and you might find you fall in love with it. As long as I keep the bar really low I am rarely disappointed.

I agree. Here's my advice, this is what I do for all new entertainment (movies, games, TV shows) Go into thinking it is going to be crap and you might find you fall in love with it. As long as I keep the bar really low I am rarely disappointed.

That's true! Some of my favorite shows have been the ones that I thought would be garbage.:lol(Sorry for getting the thread off topic, I'll stop talking about shows now and let the conversation get back to your build!)

(Sorry for getting the thread off topic, I'll stop talking about shows now and let the conversation get back to your build!)

No problem, I don't mind, mods might. Let me know if you watch the show and what you think.

Update:

20161129_102905_zpsd8qoy5qs.jpg

20161129_214714_zpsikd3wkub.jpg

Just have to install a fan and I am done. The final paint job will be up to the owner. I will be sure to get him to send me a photo.

Attachments

• 20161129_102905_zpsd8qoy5qs.jpg
    20161129_102905_zpsd8qoy5qs.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 258
  • 20161129_214714_zpsikd3wkub.jpg
    20161129_214714_zpsikd3wkub.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 221
The helmet looks great! Make sure that he does send a photo because I want to see this thing all painted up!

The helmet looks great! Make sure that he does send a photo because I want to see this thing all painted up!

Yup, count me in for photos too!

looks great! love the organic look of the trunk/nose!

NOW GIT WORKIN' ON 'DAT SHOTTY!:darnkids:lol

One last picture of this from me just for completion's sake. Inside the helmet:
20161201_204210_zpsxy54r9xu.jpg
The padding will be eva foam and attached with velcro. In the picture is a 12v fan hooked up to a 9v battery (not ideal, but it runs for 3hours straight) blowing out the nose hole and a switch mounted by two-part epoxy. The lenses are just from sunglasses and mounted with epoxy putty which was then painted black to match.

mblackwell1002 - I have finished a little more on my shotty, thanks for asking. I'm also now working on a tutorial for buying and assembling 3d props as I go. I'll get pictures up soon. This last weekend I didn't have any commission work to do so I took a breather and played Skyrim for 15 hours straight (I'm not that old yet!) :p

I will update this thread again when the customer gives me pictures of the rest of his suit and this helmet painted.

Attachments

• 20161201_204210_zpsxy54r9xu.jpg
    20161201_204210_zpsxy54r9xu.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 238
Last edited by a moderator:
Clever spot to put a fan! I never would've thought to put one in the nose like that. (I could come up with a pun here that involves nose-blowing, but I'll spare anyone reading this thread)

It ALWAYS takes longer than expected. :D

Hah, A Dark Matters fan. :) I loved that series. So quirky.

THREAD REVIVAL POWERS ENGAGE! **puhpuh pew!

The guy that I made this commissioned helmet for has finally finished the rest of the suit! I believe this is his first full armor cosplay and I think he did a great job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back