During the Break - Iron man Mk3 from top down (Helmet first)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As you can see there is a fair bit of Alligatoring (wrinkling) in the gel layer...

This is a reject, and not worth our time to sand and skim.
DT

Oh no, not worth your time at all!

(leans over to the other people sitting in awe. "I wish my good cast looked like that!")

No no no, cant have that.

LOL

Hey!
not saying we will bin it ;) just at the moment it would be quicker to just do another one with the dehumidifier and heater going in the work shop so we get a nice finish.

Just dont see the point in making a really nice helmet, and good molds only to get a sub standard cast that we then have to sand and skim coat all over again ;)

we might donate any rejects ones to member of the month if the 405th are still doing that, but will have to wait and see how the next casts come out.

I hear ya dude, I have some experience in casting, matter of fact i majored in sculpture. I am just trying to get the hang of the paper folding and finishing.

two quick questions:

Do you add anything to your resin to get a specific color or does it cure like that?
What do you use as a mold?

I hear ya dude, I have some experience in casting, matter of fact i majored in sculpture. I am just trying to get the hang of the paper folding and finishing.

two quick questions:

Do you add anything to your resin to get a specific color or does it cure like that?

two quick questions:

The Gel coat layer is just standard "off the shelf" Black Gel coat, you can add a small amount of talcum powder to make it harder, just dont use to much.

You can get Gelcoat in most colours, although most common is Black, white and clear.
Clear is good because you can pigment it any colour you want.

Molds:
That depends......
On this project we are usings a Platinum Silicon skin, the product is called Ultrasil
The skin is keyed to a Fiberglass support shell.

In the past we have made straight Fiberglass bucks, using a tooling gel layer, great for large parts with medium detail or less, but a lot of work buffing in the parting agent (wax)
and if it grabs it can damage your mold......big time

Regards
DT

DT,
As said on SWIDAT....AMAZING!! Can't wait to get one!! Keep up the good work, & hope you get everything ironed out... *No pun on IRON* ;)

What holiday? lol

I'm in NZ mate, so only holidays we have are the kids and Uni's having 2 weeks holiday.

But yes I have been busy working on the helmet molds and cast, should have an update soon, although the weather is still not happy here.

First of all awsome build love it love it!

Now I have a few questions if you could answer I would be most grateful.
I'm currently working on my own Iron Man helmet and I've been trying to figure out how to make the bolt and screw details.
Any tips you can offer would be great, As in measurement on the correct placements of the details and how you managed to get the results that you have.
If you used any kind of dremel accessory and so on.
I'm not currently at the bondo stage yet but it pays to try to plan in advance.

I know one person actually snipped off a screw head and dremeled(this can't be a word) out a hole for it to fit in, then glued it in place.
I don't remember which thread it was on that i saw it... i read as many as i can.

Carnage
The screw head was a modified philips screw, that I made a molde of then cast, Siborg then drilled a hole, inserted to the right depth and backfilled them.
The detail was hand etched first as a guide, then a fine tipped diamond tip was used for the detail (they are a separate set of bits for jewellery I believe)

still have the mold and can send you 6 if you want.

This is V1 to be honest, we are looking at doing Sharks Pep build next

Ow man that would be awsome just let me know what you want for them including shipping and how to contact you not sure if the pm's are working on the forum or not.

Also if its not so much trouble would it be possible to give measurements as to where the details are placed.
If this question is a bit vaige I'll edit some of your pics if I may to try to make it more clear

Carnage
The screw head was a modified philips screw, that I made a molde of then cast, Siborg then drilled a hole, inserted to the right depth and backfilled them.
The detail was hand etched first as a guide, then a fine tipped diamond tip was used for the detail (they are a separate set of bits for jewellery I believe)

still have the mold and can send you 6 if you want.

This is V1 to be honest, we are looking at doing Sharks Pep build next

Just pm me your details mate.
no payment required.

Go for it, edit away if you want
but i kinda know what you mean as to placement, although it will be relative to the pep you use, and the finished build you do.

Hey Deadalus, since the forum is acting up and I can't view the classifieds right now, would you mind emailing me about the Mk3 helmets you had up in there? You should be able to email me through my profile. I tried to email you, but you don't seem to have them allowed!

Classified are not broken,
Just Adam has put Vet status on them as it was on the roiginal board, so you need to have achieved 100+ posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back