Easy Way To Fiberglass Inside The Helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

memberG405

Hey guys I came across a problem while trying to use resin and the fiberglass cloth at the same to strengthen the inside of the helmet. Problem was the gloves were sticking and the cloth just didn't want to play nicely and lay flat. It became more of a production than it was worth. So I had an idea and wanted to share with you a simple solution to my problem. After resining the outside I use a Spray adhesive to put the cloth on the inside so that later I could come back and hit it with resin. By putting the fiberglass cloth in without the resin the process went so smoothly and still produced the desired strengthening of the helmet.

[attachment=14437:SSPX8678.jpg]

Well, here how it can be done with simple resin.

Coat the inside with resin, like you did on the outside. Right after it's cured, the resin is still tacky/sticky. Then, just put some cloth on it without pressing it down too much. Wait for the resin to cure fully. A thing with fiberglass mat/cloth, you cannot soak it. If you do, it will stick more to you and your brush than on the model. It needs a tacky surface underneath.

Also, if you have tacky gloves, use baby powder ;)

LastSpartan said:
Well, here how it can be done with simple resin.

Coat the inside with resin, like you did on the outside. Right after it's cured, the resin is still tacky/sticky. Then, just put some cloth on it without pressing it down too much. Wait for the resin to cure fully. A thing with fiberglass mat/cloth, you cannot soak it. If you do, it will stick more to you and your brush than on the model. It needs a tacky surface underneath.

Also, if you have tacky gloves, use baby powder ;)

Yes a good idea I just didnt like have to deal with gloves and baby powder.

Last edited by a moderator:
I try this in one of my helmets to prove it.

The result are in a out of resine at the tight union of faces...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back