Effect Of Resin On Tape

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjdwowh

If you used normal tape on the pepakura, does the resin make it fall apart? If it does, is there a way to reinforce it to prevent that from happening?

People have had mixed results. Most often tape adhesive will be dissolved by the resin, or partial dissolved, leading to a warped or malformed finished piece. For best results, use glue if you intended to resin the piece.

I've had pretty good results with using tape and resin, but I've also had the tape flake off in some instances. In general, if you are going to use tape I would suggest that on your initial resin application you only apply a very thin layer of resin. Once dried, the thin layer will act to prevent the second, much heavier, application of resin from warping the piece or causing the tape to peal off.

friendly advice:

avoid using tape with pepakura. it only complicates everything, and has dissolvement problems.

About hotglue: I used hotglue on my first pep that i actually resined, and it's not the bees knees either.

How about White glue, wood glue?

I use super glue. Dries in under 5 - 10 seconds which is plenty of work time for me, no mess, and makes very clean pep. Just use with caution.

I liked hotglue, its much easier than white (Elmer's or school) glue,stick glue or tape (all of which were used on a size test thats sitting on my desk). Be careful and use very small amounts of glue and hot glue works, as for super glue, no idea. wood glue? I would imagine its the same as using white glue.

I used hot glue and the worst I got was a small blister on the back of my hand. I wasn't paying attention, I was trying to talk to my brother and grandma and position a piece inside the helmet at the same time. I ended up sticking it to the back of my hand. other than that no other injuries to speak off,but its suggest to keep a small bowl of cold water and some ice cubes, for if you do happen to burn or get glue on your fingers.

As for the effects of resin, I have no experience to speak of.

you could try spraying a couple coats of clear enamel on top of it before you do anything. It protects the cardstock from warping and should help to seal the tape in place. Just make sure you use a very light 1st coat of resin though.

I would suggest at least trying various different glue mediums. I like hot glue myself. Keep a can of compressed air beside you when you are working if you are worried about burning yourself. If you do burn yourself turn the can of compressed air upside down and spray the liquid on the burned area. Just a very small ammount, do it a couple of times and if you were quick enough, you should never get a blister.

The compressed air trick also works good if you need to speed dry the hot glue.

Painter's tape (the blue stuff) works and will hold on tenaciously even if resin goes over it. It especially works well if you use it on the inside of the part to hold stuff together that way when you go to fiberglass the insides you'll have a layer of matting or cloth that will permanently hold it in place.

Like this:
DSC01577.jpg

All the blue pieces there are tape (except for the very top which was blue cardstock) and they held some delicate seams together while I fiberglassed over them.

Industrial-grade tape is designed to weather such things. For the layman, common household tape won't cut it. It tends to lift, become brittle and peel away, leaving an un-resined patch.

I'd advise using some sort of glue - your own preference.

I wonder if some of the people commenting have even tried it o.o
I used tape for a lot of my pep pieces and after going through resin nothing was eaten away, peeled, or anything like that.
It's been multiple brands too, just whatever I found around my house.
If you don't feel like trying something more efficient like glue, I say use tape.

I say most often. I my experience, which was one time, the tape lifted and the Pep piece started to shift and warp. Hearing everyone else complain about the same thing led me to the conclusion that while it may work, your best off going with a more permanent solution, such as glue. Why risk it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back