Epoxy Seal on armor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone ever tried this? It claims to be twice as hard as concrete. I was looking at it today at Lowes, and started thinking. Any ideas on this?

LukeTrocity said:

Ok I took a look at the link you posted. I have not used this product myself. A buddy of mine did however use it on his garage floor. The thing that sticks out in my mind most about this stuff was the high odor. I haven't a clue if it would work ok for Pep armor or not. So when in doubt stick to what has been used successfully.

Or if your a brave soul who doesn't mind possibly sacrificing time and money you could give it a try and let us know how it works out. Consider this, at 62 bucks that's a hefty investment to try something out. Food for thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sigma-LS said:
I know this stuff works. http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=prod...&lpage=none

I used some of it to reinforce my old Mk V helm before I bought fiberglass resin. You can get it for 1.50 at Walmart. It works well, the only downside is that you will need to buy a lot of them to get enough to cover the whole suit. (about 3 for the helm alone.)

How about structural epoxies will it work?

Last edited by a moderator:
well this will work if u use it right. iv use the stuff sigy used with great results for repair, but never for a hardener and iv use some concrete walk repair stuff, works good, but will break under allot of stress (like fiber glass). so this will most likely work.

PS don't use that stuff Luke, i used it on a job with me mom, and its just like a thick paint just don't do it k :)

Some epoxies are indeed harder than steel and concrete. But as with both concrete and steel, the harder the material the more brittle it is. Same is true with epoxy. I've seen a lot of crazy things done with epoxy in the prototyping business (one of ZCorp's demo videos has a guy driving a nail with a plaster part that has been infiltrated with epoxy) but the reason why all the crazyness works is because the resins are either in low stress environments (like the floor of a garage where the weight of the car is distributed over a flat plane) or they are reinforced with a matrix like fiberglass matting or carbon fiber weave. If you do choose to go with this product you will still have to reinforce it with at least matting. And it looks to be cheaper than the resin that we use with fiberglass so it probably is not at strong. The thing that you have to remember with epoxies is that they are usually all formulated for very specific purposes. A garage floor will most likely be taking less abuse than the fender of a car in the long run. Also, the floor stuff will have a backing of concrete to help it hold its shape and effectiveness.

P.S.: I love this new iPod Touch! I can post stuff up from it!

Epoxy is superior to polyester resin, however, because they're so expensive (polyester resin is dirt cheap) and armor builders don't need the properties of epoxy, most people stick to polyester.

Same with polyurethane resins. Anyways, we have multiple threads discussing epoxy afaik, and google will help you if you ask nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back