EVA Foam build question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimmwaker

I recently downloaded some foam templates for my MK. V Gen 2 suit, and I finally have all of my printing equipment and I cut out the paper to trace onto the foam. But when I was about to start, I relized the templates required a lot of folding.

I was wondering what thickness foam I should use for this. I have 1/2 inch right now for a base.

Here are the templates I used. http://www.405th.com/file-archive.php?do=download&downloadid=433

It depends. Most places the standard 1/2" foam works great, but there are some tight curves and small spaces that the 3-5mm "Foamies" work better. You can usually find them in the craft section of stores and it's a thin sheet of foam. If you run into an area that seems too tight for normal foam, thinner foam can save your bacon.

The reason I ask, Is if you look at the model it's almost hollow. So I figured if I go all thick, I could bevel it. I'm testing the plasti dip on the thinner foam i got, so I can get an idea about how sturdy it will be though.

I have various thicknesses of foam I work with from thicker 10mm foam down to 1mm foam. I have moved to working mostly with 6mm foam mats that I get in rolls from either sears or five below. I used this to build an iron man suit for my daughter last year and it worked great. The only thing to keep in mind is if you have any areas that are joints, which the MK V doesn't have, or will have more stress on it, the 6mm foam will tear easier, especially at seams. However, it bends easily with heat from a heat gun, so it is relatively easy to work with. It also cuts easier than the thicker square mats that are out there. Good luck on your build, look forward to seeing some photos.

Are you sure you have the correct templates for foam? I made this mistake and my foam test pieces were a disaster.

The files you are using are good. You may want to consider a couple of different options for pieces that have "folds." Either use the join/disjoin function "control n" to separate at the folds, or use back cuts to help create the folds. If you haven't back cut, you would create a v cut on the back of the foam along the line where the fold is when creating mountain folds. For valley folds, some will still make the back cut and then fill the open cut with hot glue to give it some stability. Hope that helps a bit.

I've heard most people say 5mm foam is best for armor overall. They use 1-3mm for details though.

I use 1/2" (12+mm) foam almost exclusively for all the base parts of my armor. Anything thinner I think would be far too flimsy to hold up to the stress of being worn around! 5mm and 2mm foam sheets are awesome for detailing once the base of the armor is constructed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back