Eva foam

Status
Not open for further replies.
What country do you live in? In Australia, there's the Hero Studio and Lumin's Workshop. I think they both do international delivery as well. People are also raving over SKS Prop's line of HD foam, which I haven't tried yet.

Even though I'm located in Canada, I hear TnT and SKS cosplay have really good quality HD foam. If you have a Micheal's close to you they have recently started selling a Cosplay foam. How good their brand is? That I don't know.

For the US we have a helpful chart in this guide that can help you decide based on type of foam, size, thickness, and price.

For my biased opinion, I really like SKS HD-Foam or TNT Cosplay. They are very similar, but I like the light gray color of the HD-Foam over white or black for TNT. I just bought some What the Foam by Cosplay Apprentice and intend to try it out on a project this weekend, but it does not come in large sheets or in thicknesses over 6mm (as of writing this).

I've also tried the Yaya Han foam from Joann's, but found it to be pricey even on sale. Works great if you run out in the middle of something and don't want to wait for a new shipment of foam. Haven't tried the Michael's brand yet, but might look into it. Started with Harbor Freight, and if new and/or have a very limited budget I would recommend it. It's not as dense, and doesn't work as easily as the others, but it's a good choice for newcomers or those on a limited budget.

For the US we have a helpful chart in this guide that can help you decide based on type of foam, size, thickness, and price.

For my biased opinion, I really like SKS HD-Foam or TNT Cosplay. They are very similar, but I like the light gray color of the HD-Foam over white or black for TNT. I just bought some What the Foam by Cosplay Apprentice and intend to try it out on a project this weekend, but it does not come in large sheets or in thicknesses over 6mm (as of writing this).

I've also tried the Yaya Han foam from Joann's, but found it to be pricey even on sale. Works great if you run out in the middle of something and don't want to wait for a new shipment of foam. Haven't tried the Michael's brand yet, but might look into it. Started with Harbor Freight, and if new and/or have a very limited budget I would recommend it. It's not as dense, and doesn't work as easily as the others, but it's a good choice for newcomers or those on a limited budget.
My very first project was made from the harbor freight foam. I noticed that no two packages of foam were the same. But when I made my Marine for Outpost Discovery my brother let me use his foam that was all uniform.

TNT cosplay - is great one stop shop for foam and everything needed for your build for the most part.

SKS HD foam from Blicks - they have a variety of EVA foam, foam clay and Dowels. They dont have 8mmr foam though. They have 6mmr and 10mm and some smaller sizes. But sometimes ya just want to use 8MM and not 10mm. Also, every order over $35 is free shipping. That is where is beats TNT.

EvilTed Smith Foam from Michael's craft Store - Some stores carry it, some dont. If you cant use a coupon, it may not be worth it. It is a few bucks more than TNT and SKS. But they have that lovely 8mm foam. Shipping can be free at times with coupons or you can ship it to your local store for pick up if they normally don't carry it. My local store does not yet. Also, take advantage of the coupons. You can use a 40% off and item and a 20% off total sales to get a good deal. That along with possible free shipping makes it a nice choice.

YaYa Han - Available at Joann fabrics online and instore. 2mm, 5mm,10mm sizes. The sheets are not as big as the other 3 choices. In a pinch it can be a good option. But they always seem to have it at 25% off, so you cant use other coupons. This is a last resort for me to use.

Floor Mat puzzle squares - If this is all you can afford, then it will get the job done. They typically come with a textured side, if at all possible, make sure to get the one with the small texture, it will make it easier to glue things too. The large diamond textures are a pain in the butt and have to be sanded down alot of the time to ensure good adhesion. Also PAY ATTENTION TO THE THICKNESS the floor mats, especially from harbor freight can be different thicknesses. 10mm and 8mm. When grabbing a few packs, if the thickness matters because of your patterns, be sure to pay attention to the packs you pick up. Usually 7.99 to 8.99 a pack. You can use a 20% off coupon. But this foam is made to stand on, there will be small air bubble pockets and imperfections. Also the one side being textured.

Michael's foam isn't actually EvilTed's foam, it's Michael's foam using Ted's image to promote it. They're also using Kamui Cosplay's image to promote their foam and other crafting supplies. However, I do think it's worth noting that neither EvilTed nor Kamui Cosplay receive anything from the sales of these items from Michael's. Worth mentioning for anyone who might consider it in order to support EvilTed or Kamui Cosplay. Not saying don't buy it, just sharing the info for those who would consider in order to support a maker they follow.

Michael's does carry at least one of Kamui Cosplay's books and will be carrying some EvilTed stuff in the future (last heard sometime this summer).

Sources:
Kamui Cosplay FB Page and conversations with individuals closer to Ted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back