eva/security visor solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

supertaco

in an EVA helmet thread, someone suggested vacuum forming. This still left the problem of tinting the visor.in another thread, someone said that by layering yellow red and blue plastic, it can't be seen through. I had an idea to day that someone could vacuum form each color over each other and have a pretty good EVA or security visor.

Heck I wouldn't mind seeing some pictures of these, maybe it can motivate me to finish my EVA helm.

each layer of plastic will radius out a few mils, so you'd loose any detail the plug had, not trying to rain on your parade but, its hard enough to pull one formed sheet off a master, adding two more layers would make it even harder.

They do make gold tint for car windows. It's harder to find, but it's out there. But vac-forming it is definitely an option.

This will probably be the last time I say anything about EVA visors, mainly because of peoples insistence on ignoring me, despite the fact I have researched this thoroughly :)
You cant use car tint for an EVA or Security visor, for all the flat visors its perfect, and looks great. A good friend of mine is a professional sign writer, he wraps whole cars vans and trucks in vinyl and tints windows regularly. I have shown him the reference images and he says it simply cant be done. You could do it it sections but it would have seam lines. Window tint does not stretch with heat, it shrinks. The curve on EVA's and Security's is too big. Vac Forming the visor is such an obvious solution it sticks out like dogs balls. I do this regularly, it is not that difficult. There are a few different types of vac forming, for a security, personally I'd blow form it in Perspex/Plexiglas although vac forming one in petg would be just as easy. It would not be a difficult visor to make at all, provided you had the tools a security visor could be made in around 4 minutes. As far as the colour goes, In my opinion, the best most cost effective solution is to back spray the part with transparent pearlescent yellow. Look at the in game screens shots, the visors are not gold, they are yellow, with a high specular top layer that is easily replicated by back spraying clear plastic. If you really REALLY have to have gold, so far the best product I've tested (and please take my word, I'm not trying to be an arsehole, I have tested so many products now I've lost count, my studio is a mess of various rolls of gold products) is "Jonestones" metal foil. It does not offer the greatest visibility but, you can see through it enough not to walk into things. It is VERY difficult to apply cleanly, hence my recommendation of back spraying.

Who said they both had to be done at the same time?
They wouldn't fit on top of each other if you did them individually.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am gonna try this with a clear plastic later during the spring when i can be in my garage, and i was thinking of trying to find a gold film to put over the clear plastic, like they have on astronaut helmets
zero11.jpg

I've been looking at various Motorcycle Shops for a lens adhesive, i heard some of them sell this kind of stuff
If anyone comes across something i could buy and use please tell me Thanks

Another thing i was gonna try is maybe take it to a place that like has window tint for your car and get some of that and try it

i was thinking of trying to find a gold film to put over the clear plastic, like they have on astronaut helmets

Astronaut helmet visors (extravehicular visor assemblies) are coated by vapour depositing gold atoms 1000 angstrom units thick, inside a multi laminate layer of high optical qualty pressure formed polycarbonate..... let me know how you get on.

I found this on an ebay store, anyone think it might work?

sure, why the hell not.

NZ-TK said:
Astronaut helmet visors (extravehicular visor assemblies) are coated by vapour depositing gold atoms 1000 angstrom units thick, inside a multi laminate layer of high optical qualty pressure formed polycarbonate..... let me know how you get on.

uhh ya what you said, you confused me :(
but ya i'm gonna try the car window tint

NZ-TK said:
lol, "how d'ya like them apples?"

AshdownMenace said:
Whatever you do, post some progress pics please. That would be great.
i wasn't going to do this, i just thought it would be a good idea for other people here to try.
also, i think eva is ugly

I have yet to do a layer visor so I may be talking out of my butt when I put my two cents in. Using a dual layered visor to achieve the insets on the visor, couldn't you use the second layer to hide the areas of the visor where the wrinkles would be a problem? If you look at the pic, where the compound curve becomes a problem, it might be possible to conceal the wrinkles under another portion of the visor. It might become even easier if you go with a two tone version.

This is why I know what I am talking about.
[attachment=2987:DSC00412.JPG]
Unlike 80% of this forum, Im am not content to say "I'm gonna do this and that" I actually like to do things before posting all about my plans.
The visor in the picture is just a rough painted test pull, I have since polished the master and improved the details. Also, I have solved the visibility problem.

pretty cool!

but i had another idea even though it leaves you with virtually no vision

NZ-TK said:
This is why I know what I am talking about.
[attachment=2987:DSC00412.JPG]
Unlike 80% of this forum, Im am not content to say "I'm gonna do this and that" I actually like to do things before posting all about my plans.
The visor in the picture is just a rough painted test pull, I have since polished the master and improved the details. Also, I have solved the visibility problem.

:eek: All I have to say is....You take a CQB trade for one of those?

Amazing job Tim! Make a new thread on this pronto!

Im going to start a thread when I've finished it, and got my visors back from the coating company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back