Eva Visor

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpartanSRS

Since the EVA visor basically covers 75% of the helmet, does anyone on the forum make EVA visors? Just wondering for future reference. Early thanks to anyone who replies.

The cheapest way I can think of is vacuumforming.

get some clear polystyrene plates, make a pep+resin+bondo version of the visor, then vacuumform the visor, and use the ultimate gangster airbrush thread the spraypaint it gold one way reflective with a cheap airbrush set. That's how i would do it. It's still damn complicated, but the cheapest and easiest way I suppose
If you don't know what vacuumforming is, just google it. google magic, my friend!
Good luck man, it' gonna be one hell of a build
I wanna see how it turns out

Last edited by a moderator:
I can make clear ones.
testeva.jpg

thats a test one, it has protective film on the back that makes it look cloudy. I could probably do a short run of them if there was any interest but, I could make no guarantees it will fit peoples helmets, and there is no way I'm colouring them for people. unless of course I got off my arse and moulded my EVA to go with it.
EvaComparison.jpg

box o crayons said:
wow nz nice work can you still see out of it

Not a damned thing. It was a quick dirty test pull with a web down the front, I just sprayed it solid gold to photograph it.

I'd be interested in a pull, paint me VERY interested (as in, quote me a price and I'll see what happens come my end-of-month paycheck). I'd probably color it myself too, using Red's method.

keep in mind I'm in new zealand, shipping might be prohibitive, and they might be slightly more expensive than other helmet kits because the material for the visors isn't cheap and I can only buy it in large sheets. so there is the cost of the moulding and casting the helmet as well as the visor. If there is enough interest, I'd consider doing full helmet/visor kit, that way its a guaranteed fit. I didn't want to in the past cause I couldn't colour the visors, the thread about layering with air brushes solves the problem..it never occurred to me to try layering like that, I'd been messing about with pearlised transparent paints with terrible results but, if people think they can do it with air brushes, thats cool

I'd taken posting into account, as well as other expenses. Personally, I'd go for just the visor, but if a full set came along, I'd most likely hit that instead.

Still, it's for the pipeline, so I won't get my hopes up.

I remember you mentioning having a WIP on an EVA. I seem to recall you saying that it was for a contest and not allowed to be publicized way back, but why have you not shown completed pictures until now? I'm guessing it's because the visor didn't work out, but it would still look nice as a display piece.

I'm going to go the hard way and do a sculpt of the visor on my helmet, then make a 2 part mold and cast it in clear resin. It is going to waste a lot of materials but at the same time i can scale it to the size of my helmet.

[attachment=9871:DSCN0422.JPG]

but why have you not shown completed pictures until now?
Dunno, I'm just wacky like that I guess. I'm the same with most my projects, I usually only post finished or nearly finished work on public forums.

Gotcha, I can understand that. I've been keeping most of my projects under wraps as well. Very nice helmets, all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back