EVA Visor

Status
Not open for further replies.
....and here we go again... lol

As far as Im aware there is no such product. I could be wrong. If it exists, none of my suppliers can get it, and none have heard of it. most mirror finished plastics have the mirror finish applied to them after the sheet is extruded, The mirror finish is a very similar product to window film, it is a type of metalized polyester film, When heat is applied, the mirror finish shrinks, but the plastic substrate stretches, this causes the product to de-laminate and you end up with an expensive sheet of wobbly rubbish. I'm not trying to rain on your parade but, I have researched this problem a little bit. I think I may have a solution, but, I want to test it before I talk about it.
Good luck though :)

btw, if it were that simple, nobody would be using dual motorcycle visors...food for though no? :)

i dont really know if there is cause im not much into the vac form scene but...theres not like a clear plastic? i see it used in a few things? or it looks like plastic :p see if you can find something like that vac. form that than just gold tint it?

or would you be able to take 2 or so motorcycle visors and superglue them together or somethin and just take a dremel and LIGHTLY dremel in your detail lines? o_O

Its pretty simple, just ring plastics supplier and ask them. Don't be surprised if they tell you the same thing i did though. Im sure a thermoformable metallized sheet plastic could be made, It probably just isn't because, there isn't really market for it. sunglass lens's and sports visors are all made by injection moulding. Vacuum forming is not really used as much as it used to, its a very wasteful and inefficient method of fabrication compared to injection moulding. It still has applications like cheap packaging and disposable stuff like plates and cups, also a lot of white-ware has vac formed components but, there just isn't much call for these things to be metallized so by proxy, there isn't much call for a metallized thermoformable sheet to be widely available. Even plain coloured clear plastic can be hard to get in small amounts, I tried to order some clear lemon yellow the other day, and the minimum order was gong to be 800 sheets

I think I may write a sticky on the subject of halo EVA's at some stage, the topic seems to come up every 2 or 3 months.

Just to throw something out as a possable idea
but, I was at my local swap meet and found a can of
spray on visor chrome for "retouching" motorcycle helmets.
I didn't pick it up because it needs a catalyist that comes with but
was missing. But if I am right, that's maybe the solution.
Get a clear sheet, vac form, then spray? Up to you both, good luck.

With all the other fellow texans doing something besides me... I!
*Have a fiberglass roller for molding glass*
and
*A girlfriend that has shown me how to blow glass*
Expect pictures soon :)

It seems to me, that there are parts of the visor are a bit darker, like bronze, so how about cutting up some visors of the certain colors, and attaching them together, I'm sure you wouldn't need more than 3-4 visors, maybe even 2 with the large visors. Or I could be saying omething completely stupid.

RadioaciveMicrobe said:
It seems to me, that there are parts of the visor are a bit darker, like bronze, so how about cutting up some visors of the certain colors, and attaching them together, I'm sure you wouldn't need more than 3-4 visors, maybe even 2 with the large visors. Or I could be saying omething completely stupid.
It would work OK, but it would be expensive and hard to make look right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Silverzippo93 said:
It would work OK, but it would be expensive and hard to make look right.

im making the eva visor and the idea behind this is the two darker parts of the visor the bronze ones make those see through which they have almost no round shape and spraypaint gold the rest of the visor that is not necessary to see through

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back