Faceshield

Status
Not open for further replies.

bamastoj14

All right guys, I have mostly finished my helmet and am trying to put in the face shield. It goes in but does not come flush against the rim of the helmet. Will I have to trim the visor down or is there some special technique that will allow me to get it in there.

Heres a pic, sorry about the angle. Might be hard to see what Im talking about but if someone could give this a shot anyways. Thanks

bamastoj14 said:
All right guys, I have mostly finished my helmet and am trying to put in the face shield. It goes in but does not come flush against the rim of the helmet. Will I have to trim the visor down or is there some special technique that will allow me to get it in there.

Heres a pic, sorry about the angle. Might be hard to see what Im talking about but if someone could give this a shot anyways. Thanks

use caulking to make it a smoother fit up against the rest of the helm. there is no true feasible way to reshape the visor(warp it, curve it), I mean you can bend it a tiny bit but too much stress will cause it to crack/shatter. Trimming it can help, but just get it to the right size, and attach it via the inside of the helm and add caulk to both sides, then you can comoe back with a paintbrush and recolor some of the visible caulk. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not too sure what the effects of this on an Iridium Visor are, but when I was putting my clear visor into my helm it didn't fit so I just ran it under hot water for a few minutes and then slowly bent it inward a bit. I bent it farther than I wanted to because they tend to spring back to their original molded position, but I ran it under cold-ish water to keep the shape.

Like I said, I don't know what it will do to a GIV (gold iridium visor!) so if you do this then don't blame me if it gets messed up (LOL DISCLAIMER).

I trimmed my visor down to be about 1/2 - 3/4 inch bigger than the opening, then I used epoxy putty to build up the inside edges of the visor slot to match the lens.
odst-078thumb.jpg

I just wrapped the visor in masking tape, and gently! flexed it to fit the slot, then traced the slot with a pen onto the tape. I don't know what flexing will do to the coating on a gold mirrored visor, I'm using a black smoked visor for this ODST.

If its anything like plexiglass or acrylic you can slowly heat it up and bend it to the shape you want. I would be easiest to find something that is the right shape, or make something, so you can mold it that way. also, practice makes perfect....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back