Fallout Tactics Midwest Power Armour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyhtem

Hello and welcome Foam Smiths and Resin Casters, Wood Carvers and Metal Benders

Today I finally decided to start my second build of Midwestern Power Armour whole thing will be 3D Printed and Reinforced with resin
I`ve been sitting on the files for over a year now so its definitely time to get it done
I`ll start of With head and bust as a test print just to have a rough idea how will it look like and if needed will do some cosmetic changes

Couple of those will be made for those interested

Here`s current design for the Head which will be printed this weekend

attachment.jpg
attachment.jpg
attachment.jpg

and Whole design

attachment.png

See You out there Warrior

That looks awesome!!!!!

I hope you're not planning to print those tubes on the back of the head.. That looks like a nightmare to sand. :cry: I'd just print it flat and attached real tubes and couplings on later. (On the front I'd recomend printing the couplings because they look unique, but add your own tubes. Use of multiple materials really sells the realism in my mind)

Sub'd

That looks awesome!!!!!

I hope you're not planning to print those tubes on the back of the head.. That looks like a nightmare to sand. :cry: I'd just print it flat and attached real tubes and couplings on later. (On the front I'd recomend printing the couplings because they look unique, but add your own tubes. Use of multiple materials really sells the realism in my mind)

Sub'd

For the bust print Yes Tubes will be printed :) it will be slow print at 0,1mm resolution, so literally coat of primer and paint, as for the 1:1 scale Yes tubes will be added as obviously ill need a supply of fresh air and some places to hide the mics for amp

For the bust print Yes Tubes will be printed :) it will be slow print at 0,1mm resolution, so literally coat of primer and paint, as for the 1:1 scale Yes tubes will be added as obviously ill need a supply of fresh air and some places to hide the mics for amp

Definitely in the same opinion camp as PerniciousDuke that printing the hoses and adapters is probably going to be a pain. I'm a fan of modelling recesses to fit off the shelf parts that can slot in and act as connectors. I think it was a 5/8" or 3/4" ID brass fitting that connected to a flex hose on my NCR Ranger mask but that was almost a year ago and I've got the post-con stupid brain.

Good point TurboCharizard , might as well figure out what connectors to use now so that you can print the file accordingly. Zinc or Nickle is going to be the cheapest I think. Like these hose flanges. You probably could print the flanges, but if someone grabs the helmet by those hoses in the back the print will probably break, unless you've got good printing skills to make sure it's strong. mblackwell1002 might be able to weigh in too. :)

When do you think you'll start printing Lyhtem ? I like your idea to give the tubes function. Also, I was referring to how hard it would be to sand the helmet *under* the tubes, not sanding the tubes themselves... But that it will be impossible to get your fingers in behind them or even risk breaking the tubes.

I've seen some of the work that Lyhtem puts out and I can see him knocking this project out of the park no matter which way he goes about it and print structure and durability isn't really a concern here.

A good option for hose connections would be ABS sprinkler system fittings with an ABS filament that could be welded together with either a sprinkler system epoxy or an ABS slurry made from print scraps and acetone to make the off the shelf fittings and the print effectively the same part and reduce chance of shearing. I dunno mang. I'm just spitballing ideas.

Lyhtem, if you're going for the realistic look, I think some plastic ribbed pool hoses would give you a nice look and really sell the realism. I noticed the game models have some ribbing on the hoses, so it would be easy to replicate the look.

If you could find some pool hoses with wide ribbing, you'll be golden. If you have access to an airbrush, you can really make this bad boy pop with some brown and black weathering to simulate rust.

Also, a side note...is your OS Windows 4.5?

ohh dear lets try to answer everything in one post :)

As apposed to......any other time of the year w/ the same condition you are afflicted with?

Seriously though...If this come out 1/2 as good as your projected piece.....its going to be one bad-ass suit.

hoping it will, i always try my best when it comes to my projects whch most can be seen on https://www.facebook.com/NerdArmoury/

Good point TurboCharizard but if someone grabs the helmet by those hoses in the back the print will probably break, unless you've got good printing skills to make sure it's strong. mblackwell1002 might be able to weigh in too. :)

When do you think you'll start printing Lyhtem ? I like your idea to give the tubes function. Also, I was referring to how hard it would be to sand the helmet *under* the tubes, not sanding the tubes themselves... But that it will be impossible to get your fingers in behind them or even risk breaking the tubes.

no worries about it breaking, if You familiar with printing, helmet will be done on 4 perimeter shells and 25-30% infill to give it more strength, and then just in case layer of poured polyurethane resin inside to give it extra strength, as for time frame, first print which will be the head on the stand will be done in next two weeks, after that i have to finish two projects for other people and one for myself, and then i`m good to go propper full time printing will probably start around end of march beginning of april

I've seen some of the work that Lyhtem puts out and I can see him knocking this project out of the park no matter which way he goes about it and print structure and durability isn't really a concern here.

A good option for hose connections would be ABS sprinkler system fittings with an ABS filament that could be welded together with either a sprinkler system epoxy or an ABS slurry made from print scraps and acetone to make the off the shelf fittings and the print effectively the same part and reduce chance of shearing. I dunno mang. I'm just spitballing ideas.

Thank You :) and yes sprinklers connectors are exactly what i was thinking about also a good idea are those, not sure whats those are called in english but i used similar stuff for my previous build, another idea is to actually print them and cast them in metal
dlawik-kablowy-metalowy-pg-16-ip68-trytyt.jpg

Lyhtem, if you're going for the realistic look, I think some plastic ribbed pool hoses would give you a nice look and really sell the realism. I noticed the game models have some ribbing on the hoses, so it would be easy to replicate the look.

If you could find some pool hoses with wide ribbing, you'll be golden. If you have access to an airbrush, you can really make this bad boy pop with some brown and black weathering to simulate rust.

Also, a side note...is your OS Windows 4.5?

pool hoses or real gas mask hoses, also cable masking hoses and something different :) SHOWER HOSE ;D unfortunately no airbrush but heres the fun part :) i have a Car Paint Shop next to me and a guy that owns it will help me paint the whole thing for a couple of prints ;) as for weathering already started to make some real rust :D 5kg of iron nails sitting in a bucket with a bit of salt water:D why simulate if You can go real:D

Side answer :) nope its Windows 7 with classic Windows theme and all the other "freworks" switched of, unfortunately i have to work on a crappy old ass laptop which barely handles my design and printing software, so trying to save up the ram and everything else as much as i can

things i still have to figure out, COOLING system possibly will be installed in chest piece two fans at the front and two on the back but that's getting wayyy into the future

glad to hear any other suggestions and ideas

and if You want to check my other stuff https://www.facebook.com/NerdArmoury/

PS: need to sort out my forum skills and check how to tag people ;)

ahhh forgot to mention :) when it comes to stuff and ideas behind the design of the armour i know two people that worked on the team of Fallout Tactics which are of great help

also I`m open to suggestions about the weapon :D which one should i make ? and id rather stick to the Tactics ones or classics from fallout 1 and 2

ahhh forgot to mention :) when it comes to stuff and ideas behind the design of the armour i know two people that worked on the team of Fallout Tactics which are of great help

also I`m open to suggestions about the weapon :D which one should i make ? and id rather stick to the Tactics ones or classics from fallout 1 and 2

I'm a sucker for the Ripper in melee because chainsaw swords or maybe a Spasm Gun from Tactics because I don't think I've ever seen even a reference to one in the prop and cosplay world.

I'm a sucker for the Ripper in melee because chainsaw swords or maybe a Spasm Gun from Tactics because I don't think I've ever seen even a reference to one in the prop and cosplay world.

i had a ripper on my list anyway ;D and couple of grenades, as for Spasm Gun hmmm nice idea although i was thinking about plasma rifle but Tactics Style :)

First Test print failed, forgot to add supports in one place, cooling insufficient, part curled up, caught on part cooling duct which doesn't have much clearance and bam Layer shift, will try to rescue it but definitely another one will be made

looking for some recommendations on Vaccuforming, planning on forming lenses to make them as accurate as possible but im bit noob on the subject

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back