Fast (not cheap) way to mass-produce models

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordzoabar

I was digging around the interwebs recently and came upon this- a 3D scanner. (http://www.nextengine.com/) I know it's not the same as going through and creating AMAZING works like Belakor and Nintendude (just to name a few), but it does offer a way for those of us who do not have their skills (and do have the money... unlike me :( ) to help add to the growing lists of 3D work around here. It is currently $3000, but that comes with the scanner, as well as mesh and surface editing software, AND can export directly to 3D printers and CNC machines... check it out and tell me your thoughts!

I can't say this would be a good idea.

While it may be a great tool for creating 3D models, it would be a horrible tool to use for making pepakura models (I'm assuming that's what you want to us it for). A 3D Scanner would produce a model made up of millions of faces and the skill you would need in order to clean the model to a usable state would be greater then the skill necessary to build the model from scratch.

here is a "free" 3D laser scanner (only free if you have a web cam, a laser, and a glass rod to flatten the beam http://www.instructables.com/id/David-3D-scanner/
or
http://www.instructables.com/id/3-D-Laser-Scanner/

Yeah... saw that too, but the "David" link is dead. am thinking about going this route for myself though if I can find a Torrent that has a working copy of the program...

I can't say this would be a good idea.

While it may be a great tool for creating 3D models, it would be a horrible tool to use for making pepakura models (I'm assuming that's what you want to us it for). A 3D Scanner would produce a model made up of millions of faces and the skill you would need in order to clean the model to a usable state would be greater then the skill necessary to build the model from scratch.

That is true, Im gonna make the most high def pep models in the world!!! lol JK JK...

seriously though... I am a bit of a DIY kit-basher, so as soon as I get the time (and money) I plan on getting my own MakerBot which could interface directly with the scaner.

Well you will have one problem with that $20 CNC Machine you can probably do small things like a grenade or pistol but you probably won't be able to do the bigger items unless you find a way to increase the size of the materials used to build the machine.

the problem i see with the scanner is you need to have something made to scan it, so if you need a pep file you would need to have a finished product to get one takeing this route.

the problem i see with the scanner is you need to have something made to scan it, so if you need a pep file you would need to have a finished product to get one takeing this route.

All it would take would be a bigger frame/box and longer axle-rods, right? I mean, as long as the motor has a track to run on, it can be as big as a car i would think... (theoretically at least)
Well you will have one problem with that $20 CNC Machine you can probably do small things like a grenade or pistol but you probably won't be able to do the bigger items unless you find a way to increase the size of the materials used to build the machine.

If there is a way to control the scaling on the scanned image, then couldn't one use a broken-down action figure? scan each piece- arms, legs, torso, etc- and then just up-scale?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back