Fiber glass... both fiber cloth and matte? questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cys920622

a couple of days ago, i bought 8 square foot sheets of fiber cloth and matte. cost me around $15.
so, what i'm getting so far is that you resin the outside, leave it to cure, then comes the part i'm not clear of

do you put resin on the fiberglass and basically glue the strips to the inside of the helmet? i plan on sanding away the paper and the outside resin to give it a rounder look.

would fiber MATTE or FIBER be better for shaping? which would be easier to shove into corners and pits?

as for detailing i plan on cutting pieces of cardboard out, glueing them on the outside and either fiberglassing them over or bondo-puttying them over. which would be better? i want the outside to look pretty much even, as in texture.

should i primer the outside (sanded, no paper) before painting?

also, a question about the helmet visor.

do motorcycle helmet visors fit generally well to the curvature on the inside of the helmet? or am i going to have to do some bending?
did you guys cut off the excess?
i was thinking of spraying multiple layers of clear-coat on the visor (the parts where it looks like its 2 layered) to give the illusion of 2-layeredness.

how would i give my fiberglass armor that metallic looking texture on the outside? random steel-wooling on the paint? green (or whatever) paint over a layer of silver?

thanks for your time.

fiber for the first few layers as its easer to work with and is easy to work into the details. then if you want to build up bulk and strength use matte.

as for the carbord detailing try to use the stuff without the 'tubes' running along the length of it. it can buckle and give a ridged texture. i would advise using thick card, like the stuff you find on the back of notepads etc. you can get it at most art and hobby or supple shops. it takes a bit of work to get it to look right around curves but its better then having ridges. also, i'de fiberglass it then smooth out the corners or wherever its needed with bondo but thats just personal choice(as far as i know. someone may correct me).

if you want a realy nice paint finish i would prime before painting. helps to make the paint sit better. i'de also prime before and during sanding and detailing. it helps the parblems/detils stand out.

as for the paint, if you want it to *zing* you spray the armour with white primer, then put silver on the corners using drybrushing and then mix up your own green and add a little gold paint to it. *ZING* :cool:

in relation to the visor... ive never done that before (i know the other stuff from collage) so im wondering the same thing. ;)

ahh i used to have a great youtube video about dry-brushing stuff and using rust-olium.... it was absolutely amazing but i lost the link. it was a video by mjolnirarmor.com i belive. it shows a guy painting the torso piece. with halo music in the back...

i will probably use foamboard instead of the cardboard then, because i need the thickness.

thanks for the advice.

cys920622 said:
ahh i used to have a great youtube video about dry-brushing stuff and using rust-olium.... it was absolutely amazing but i lost the link. it was a video by mjolnirarmor.com i belive. it shows a guy painting the torso piece. with halo music in the back...

i will probably use foamboard instead of the cardboard then, because i need the thickness.

thanks for the advice.

resin dissolves the foam in foamcore

Last edited by a moderator:
hehe, oops. i kinda had that on my mind but i took chances.
what do i use then? some thick meterial that is easy to cut with a utility knife...

also, is resin going to dissolve normal glue stick glue that i used to join the parts together?

haha,yea, it certinaly does. found that out the hard way.

EDIT:- i mant the foambord not the glue. i dont know about that glue. i used hot glue.

you can paint the edges with a thick coat of acrylic but even at that the fumes tend to get through the paper and make it crumple. if you need the bulk use the corigated cardbord and then use cheap filler to smooth it a bit and then the reson will smooth it a bit.

yeah and speaking of fumes..
to prevent lung damage am i going to have to wear a full respirator with filter

or can i just wear a dusk mask, like the simple cup thing over my mouth

DEFINATLY the one with the filter! its not dust yor worried about, its the toxic, carcinigenic fumes your worried about! not only will it save your lungs but it makes the whole experience alot more plesent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back