Fiberglass before the resin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maj Pain

Hey guys, i was wondering if i could cut out the fiberglass and apply it to the inside of the helmet with a spray adhesive before i begin the first layer of resin to the outside. I figured this may help with support. After that i would continue on as normal with the inside layer of resin and so on. Anyways, if anyone knows if this is a good idea or anyone knows of any unforeseen problems that will arise from this, that i have over looked, please let me know. Thanx in advance.

Major Pain said:
Hey guys, i was wondering if i could cut out the fiberglass and apply it to the inside of the helmet with a spray adhesive before i begin the first layer of resin to the outside. I figured this may help with support. After that i would continue on as normal with the inside layer of resin and so on. Anyways, if anyone knows if this is a good idea or anyone knows of any unforeseen problems that will arise from this, that i have over looked, please let me know. Thanx in advance.

Bad idea. In my experience the resin gives it the strength/water resistance that it needs to not warp from the fiberglass application. Good job thinking about alternative ways to do it though.

Last edited by a moderator:
It really wouldn't make any difference either way (since fiberglass cloth by itself doesn't have that much strength) - but I would advise against it for the following reason: fiberglass cloth is constantly shedding loose threads at the edges, and you really want to minimize the amount of glass floating around.

resin 1st (helps keep the cloth to stay in one place) then add the cloth with the resin

im currently doing that to a mk v helmet and doesnt seem to be warping because of the visor piece insert but right now the glass doesnt seem to be as strong as my first helmet i'll keep you guys posted on that in the thread i already have up (the reason why i did this because just resining the outside takes up time from my opinion ) but who knows maybe my experiment wont work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back