Fiberglass or Bondo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

volkov

Hey, first time posting, but I've been around a long time, just reading and stuff. I've been workin on my own suit, I kind of went a unique way with it, anyway I'll blab about how I made it when It's ready and photo worthy, for now, I just want to say, I've been using bondo have made several versions of a few pieces of armor to practice and get the ones I like. The problem is the huge amount of cracks and holes.. I've made some very nice looking pieces, but I worry about their stability. It takes so many coats to get it perfect, so I'm making a new version with fiberglass sort of as a comparrison, do any of you have a preference between the two before I potentially waste my time? I'm also tryng a third design with bondo underlyng fiberglass.. any tips would be cool

I guess I outa clarify what I mean by bondo, I mean more the default body filler... How does it compare with fiberglass and does anyone do a layer of it with a layer of fiberglass or visa versa? I'm experiemting a lot (maybe with bracers/thighpads) to try and work out whats the most stable, and doing some basic detailing, but I don't want to get too comitted unless I'm certain I'm using the right stuff.

interesting.. I'm thinking fiberglass then, and then do the basic detailing on the fiberglass (thats been easy so far, havn't tried extreme detail), then body filler for the more intricate parts? Pure body filler just seems too weak.

Bondo isnt a fiberglass alternitive, bondo is hard, but bondo is mainly for smoothening and adding detail, the main strength is from resin/glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back