fiberglass or rondo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fiberglass but it also depends on how much fiberglass sheets you use. 2-3 makes it very strong. rondo can take up a lot of space and add a lot of weight to get the same strength. I use a little of both add a little more resin to the bondo and use the runnier bondo instead of the fiberglass resin for a bit of both

For helmet I like rondo
For rest of armors I think fiberglass , I'm not sure atm because ATM I'm just works on helmets so far

It's mainly how you apply it, I haven't used rondo yet due to lack of supplies but I hear it strengthens the insides well.

If your comparing them with equal thickness... Fiberglass will be the stronger.

:)

I used both. And I agree with Longshot, fiberglass is stronger. For curiosity, I took an ODST helmet that I fiberglassed last year and slammed it hard on my driveway. Areas that I covered with fiberglass did not crack at all.

This is what i've done for my pieces.

1. Resin outside
2. 2/3 body filler, 1/3 resin, brushed on inside (to fill in gaps between intricate detailed areas and glue tabs)
3. Hand/Dremel sand the inside of the piece soo that the inside is smoother, just incase there were any lumps from step 2, elevated glue tabs are also sandable once hardened with the body filler/resin mix.
4. 1 layer of glass on inside, let dry, then dremel out any larger bubbles (above the total perimeter of a corn kernel)
5. 2nd layer of glass on inside, let dry, then once again get the bubbles out...

It really depends of the weight of the cloth/mat used as to how many layers you will need, just adjust it to your comfort, but with whatever weight of fibreglass there will be no need for anything above 3 layers.

When you've finished the glassing, go over the inside with a 3/4 body filler, 1/4 resin mix. It is possible to brush that on, but its up to you how you would apply it.

Also with polyester resins, you shouldn't really leave it over 10 days before applying another coat, that will weaken the chemical bond between layers. If you resin 4 or 5 pieces at a time, you would probably be able to layer each one once within that time, just remember what you've done first. (If they have been left for a little too long sanding the piece before the next layer will strengthen the mechanical bond.)

This is just another method, im not saying this is the right way to do resining and glassing, but it is an alternative.

Good luck with your build cfowler17.

RondoGlass is the best of both worlds. It's bondo with short-hair fiberglass with a resin mix. This is still very heavy tho.

I used multiple coats of 3/4 Resin, 1/4 body filler and poured it onto fiberclass matting and it came out hard as a rock. I threw a knife into it and it didn't crack until the 5th or 6th hit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back