Filling primer? Painting techniques

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike bike

Has anyone used a filling primer rather then a standard primer? I think it might help with smoothing out the piece. Also would you recommend painting a primer down then silver then black. (Black is the color of the armor) or would primer then black, then hitting it with silver edges and details be a better method?

Filling primer definitely works, but if you have really small details you might not want to use it. For the armor, you could do primer then silver then black but only if you plan on masking before the black coat. If you aren't planning on doing that then only do black because unnecessary layers of paint are never good. What you're describing is dry brushing, and that's my favorite way to weather, but if you want to do heavy weathering (i.e. paint chips) you would want to do a layer of silver, use mustard/toothpaste/masking tape on the ares where you want damage and then do a layer of black.

Heres a question when you have the foam and are wanting to fill edges to make them smooth what would you suggest?

Heres a question when you have the foam and are wanting to fill edges to make them smooth what would you suggest?
When you say fill edges, do you mean gaps between glued parts or your cut is not clean and the edge is all jagged an rough?
To smoothen out a rough cut is simple. Sand it down. Use whatever you have available. A rotary tool, sand paper or belt sander.
For gaps or uneven areas after gluing together use some sort of filler. Some people use spackle, caulking or artist clay. Then sand it down.

When you say fill edges, do you mean gaps between glued parts or your cut is not clean and the edge is all jagged an rough?
To smoothen out a rough cut is simple. Sand it down. Use whatever you have available. A rotary tool, sand paper or belt sander.
For gaps or uneven areas after gluing together use some sort of filler. Some people use spackle, caulking or artist clay. Then sand it down.
I also wonder about this, thanks

There was a recent thread that someone had started asking a similar question. I posted this in response.
This may help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back