Finished Pep Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright guys here it is, after countless hours a finished pepakura helmet. I started from pepakura, then fiberglass, then bondo, and finally paint.

med_gallery_2207_25_85589.jpg

gallery_2207_25_40361.jpg

Before paint
gallery_2207_25_14174.jpg

gallery_2207_25_33284.jpg

Here's the link to my gallery
http://405th.com/forums/index.php?automodu...um&album=25

I used Adam's paint technique. The hammered silver looks just like battle damage. It's my first helmet so its ok, and its starting to grow on me but i am a prefectionist, but it looks pretty good to me. During the fiberglass stage the mouth piece got warped and I didn’t notice. I didn’t bondo the entire thing like I should have and after 4 hours of sanding I called it quites and just painted it. The mouth piece is warped and its not completely smooth like it should be. These are my options what should I do?

1. Cut out the mouth guard and replace it, sand it down until the entire helmet is smooth, and dremel in the details. Buy 2 gold visors and make it look 1337.

2. Go with all Black armor, so you cant really see the blemishes.

3. Sell it, if someone pm’s me a price I cant refuse.

4. Be content with what I have.

Thanks everyone for all the help!

how long did it take?!?!?! i making my second decent pep helm ive been sanding it for 5 hours and the cheek bone still isnt smooth......... :mad: ima using butter putty 2 (commonly known as stopper, finings, or thinner filler) how long did it taker to sand?

I did one coat of resin on the cardstock, then i did 3 coats of fiberglass cloth on top of that, then bondo body filler for the top layer to make it smooth.

Awesome! I'd be happy as all hell let out if I could do something like that! Awesome job man! Possibly the best Pep helmet to date (Though no offense to the others who have gotten through Bondo, sanding and painting.).

I used bondo body filler, it is so annoying. You only have like 4 mins to get the stuff on there decently smooth then you have to sand it the rest of the way. I had to do some areas twice. But i sanded for like 3 hours and then i just really gave up. The helmet isnt completely smooth like it should be. But im sure if i would have spent another 5 or 6 hours with bondo and sand paper it would have been very smooth.

mnm_enterprises said:
I used bondo body filler, it is so annoying. You only have like 4 mins to get the stuff on there decently smooth then you have to sand it the rest of the way. I had to do some areas twice. But i sanded for like 3 hours and then i just really gave up. The helmet isnt completely smooth like it should be. But im sure if i would have spent another 5 or 6 hours with bondo and sand paper it would have been very smooth.

for those small areas of the body filler that aren't as smooth as you'd like after a lot of sanding you can just go back over that area with the bondo glazing and spot putty... it comes in a tube and is much much easier to sand than normal bondo

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back