Fire Emblem Awakening : Lucina

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpecialK

Hello everyone! I'm fairly new here and haven't really posted on here much, so let's see how this goes.

I'm relatively new to the world of costume making (I made my first full cosplay earlier this year, and so other props in years prior), and just to the world of Halo in general as well. I do plan on making a set Spartan armour, but I want to play that game a bit more so I have a better idea of what is what. In the mean time, I'll be making Lucina from Fire Emblem : Awakening.

I wanted to be more active on here so I figured I'd share the 'making of' for this project.

Lucina is going to be mostly a sewing based project but there are a couple armour pieces; her shoulder pieces, knee guards, diadem, custom buckles, and a fairly iconic sword from Fire Emblem, Parallel Falchion.
Lucina_(Fire_Emblem).png

Since she's a more well known character from the series I've been able to find some good references and break downs of the components.

The following 4 images are from --> here <--

The main sewing components, Cape, Tunic, Belt Harness, Gloves, and Boot Covers
tumblr_n990uwv8Hn1qe582jo1_1280.png

Then each component laid out further.

Tunic and Boot Covers
tumblr_n990uwv8Hn1qe582jo2_1280.png

Cowled Cape
tumblr_n990uwv8Hn1qe582jo3_1280.png

Belt Harness and Gloves
tumblr_n990uwv8Hn1qe582jo4_1280.png

An now Armour and Props

Falchion Sword and Scabbard
parallelfalchion.jpg
scabbard.png

Shoulder pieces
f8b1c1a3021355c79c99382a3251833c.png
f8b1c1a3021355c79c99382a3251833c2.png

Knee guards
tumblr_o4rp162KRo1utphfeo2_1280k.jpg

I've already have a template for the sword and I'll be templating for the tunic so I should be starting on those within the next couple days!

Well that's it for now, I'll try and update as much as I can on progress. I'm awful at remembering to take progress photos so fingers crossed.

If you have any tips and /or suggestions on how to do something, let me know! I am still figuring things out so I'd be very grateful for the help.

This should be a magnificent build. I wish I took the time to learn how to use a sewing machine.........I have 2 of them, Singers, sitting in my basement, both of them heirlooms from my mother and her mother before her. Collecting dust.......

This should be a magnificent build. I wish I took the time to learn how to use a sewing machine.........I have 2 of them, Singers, sitting in my basement, both of them heirlooms from my mother and her mother before her. Collecting dust.......
I've been using my mom's sewing machine from high school up until this point. I've just got a new one last week as an early Christmas present so that's made things a little easier.

I've been using my mom's sewing machine from high school up until this point. I've just got a new one last week as an early Christmas present so that's made things a little easier.
Shiny new sewing machine! What's its name?

Also did you start over on the Parallel Falchion that you started earlier this year?

It's been a week, and I finally got to work on this project besides just mental planning. I started with the shoulder pieces.
I ended up finding a pretty good reference on the cover of the official art book that actually shows both pieces.
IMG_20191216_204521.jpg

My initial idea was to make the base shape for the inner piece with 6mm foam then do the different layers with 2mm. I realized though that it would
1) end up being too thick
2) be too stiff and extremely limit the range of motion in my shoulders.

So I decided to make all 5 parts separately and attach them together with magnetic snaps so they can pivot and move individual from each other.
There rest of the night was making templates. I started with one of Kamui Cosplay's armour patterns and adapted it to be the rough shape I needed
IMG_20191216_204538.jpg
IMG_20191216_213801.jpg
IMG_20191216_213835.jpg
IMG_20191216_213845.jpg

I then fiddled around with sizing and placement for awhile until it got to a spot that I was happy with, and how everything lined up
IMG_20191216_224738.jpg
IMG_20191216_224728.jpg

Once I was done with that I started working on the templates for the outer piece.
IMG_20191216_215120.jpg
IMG_20191216_220333.jpg
IMG_20191216_220636.jpg
IMG_20191216_233733.jpg

I then transferred that onto a foam, and made it a bit larger so I can play around with sizing a bit easier.
(it's not the cleanest seam, I know, but it is just a mock-up :lol:)
IMG_20191216_233858.jpg
IMG_20191216_233855.jpg

And that's as far as I got tonight. I'm going to try and work on it as much as I can this week since my family and I will be spending Christmas with my grandma next week, so I won't be able to work on it. I'll continue to try my best to remember take pictures and update as I go so there's not a huge leap in progress but I can't make any promises.

Again if you have and suggestions or tips on better ways to template/build and do attachment, they would be greatly appreciated!

It's been a week, and I finally got to work on this project besides just mental planning. I started with the shoulder pieces.
I ended up finding a pretty good reference on the cover of the official art book that actually shows both pieces.
View attachment 281986
My initial idea was to make the base shape for the inner piece with 6mm foam then do the different layers with 2mm. I realized though that it would
1) end up being too thick
2) be too stiff and extremely limit the range of motion in my shoulders.

So I decided to make all 5 parts separately and attach them together with magnetic snaps so they can pivot and move individual from each other.
There rest of the night was making templates. I started with one of Kamui Cosplay's armour patterns and adapted it to be the rough shape I needed
View attachment 281987View attachment 281988View attachment 281989View attachment 281990
I then fiddled around with sizing and placement for awhile until it got to a spot that I was happy with, and how everything lined up
View attachment 281991View attachment 281992
Once I was done with that I started working on the templates for the outer piece.
View attachment 281993View attachment 281994View attachment 281995View attachment 281996
I then transferred that onto a foam, and made it a bit larger so I can play around with sizing a bit easier.
(it's not the cleanest seam, I know, but it is just a mock-up :lol:)
View attachment 281997View attachment 281998
And that's as far as I got tonight. I'm going to try and work on it as much as I can this week since my family and I will be spending Christmas with my grandma next week, so I won't be able to work on it. I'll continue to try my best to remember take pictures and update as I go so there's not a huge leap in progress but I can't make any promises.

Again if you have and suggestions or tips on better ways to template/build and do attachment, they would be greatly appreciated!
I need to find the video that I found for Lonk armour (14th century Gothic German plate armour) that uses a riveted strap on the underside of the plates to make a flexible connection between the plates of the spaulder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back