Firebomb Grenades (ODST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renac

Hello!

To compliment my ODST kit I've decided to make some firebomb grenades. I chose these because they'd be less bulky then the spike grenades, a little more rare then the plasma or frag grenades, and just plain fun to make. Plus they light up, who doesn't love things that blink at you?

So. First thing to do is get parts. I'm working with a 2 inch diameter plastic tube, and some everyday plumbing accessories. Also in use is a remote controlled LED light (waterproof) and some plastic sheeting.

awc7it.jpg

So, first thing was to cut out the fins and spikes from the plastic sheet. Had to use the scroll saw because of the nature of the plastic (would melt from the dremel's cutting disk, would shatter with a higher powered saw). They don't look like much now, but just you wait.

2uqlz.jpg

The top of the grenade needs to have a removable lid (battery replacement, turning the LED on and off), but still be strong (as it's the attachment point to the belt). But it also is shown angling inwards towards the top. Mine won't do that, but I'll simulate it by angling the ridges at the top of the grenade. Here they are, more or less cut out of the plastic.

ogcrp3.jpg

More to come as it develops. As always, please feel free to leave comments and questions.

I love the idea! Good luck and I can't wait to see more! These were so fun in the game, and the look is pretty awesome.

Thanks! Just you wait, I'll make these so awesome you.. your... your gonna wish I didn't make them so awesome. You know. Because of the awesomeness ;).

Assembly has begun! Here is the top of the grenade with the ridges and the screw on top.

24xi97r.jpg

And here's the base with the fins, the tube's 'lid' with the light inserted, and the top for the second grenade already on the way.

9unpjs.jpg

So the grenades feature a shadow effect inside of the casing. What could be a heating element or structural support. All that shows it that it -does- come between the gel's light source and the tube so it casts a shadow. For these, instead of inserting a precut shape into the tube, I'm going to use vinyl tape. It's thick enough to allow a little light to come through, while still casting a shadow. And should stand up to the gel insides. So that needs to get cut out in the shapes I'll use.

1zouqeh.jpg

Once cut out, it's attached with a little bit of glue to help adhesion, and the tube is filled with gel. The caps are waterproofed and sealed on afterwards.

5zo15.jpg

2e15evs.jpg

Next step will be painting the tops and bottoms, and attaching them on. Also modifying the armor on the belt to accept an attachment point.

Feel free to leave comments and questions!

Pretty neat idea im likin it! :D

i completely had forgotten those from odst though i used them ALOT in firefight

gotta love that napalm ;)
cant wait to see them glow!!!

Looks awesome! I want to build my own, after you finished the tutorial. What type of gel you use?

A highly secret gel that is commonly known as dish soap. No, really. Holds bubbles well, non flammable, and viscous. And it smells like oranges.

Alright! All done! And here's the proof.

359da2w.jpg

The screw top can get tighter, but here's the final product!

2r77zbn.jpg

Bubbles suspended in the Gel.

1ihhds.jpg

And the bottom.

Now, some of you more eagle eyed folks will notice the S hook on the top. That's for attachment points on the armors belt. I simply ziptied a few regular clips to the sides of the hip plate. I chose these models specifically since they had a flat back, and thus would lay against the armor plate smooth with minimal rubbing.

i3cikz.jpg

And now here's some pictures of it 'In the Wild'

14ih7c7.jpg

904oj5.jpg

9k9gkz.jpg

Finally some shots to show the light up effect. It's hard to get this effect really shown (the grenade is actually 'on' in the above pictures), with the camera I have. It really does -glow-. The combination of the orange gel with the red light produces a vivid colour.

rr2jnl.jpg

rmi2p4.jpg

332tfz9.jpg

So here it is! The LED light setup has a remote control on it, so after the LED is turned 'on', it can be lit or unlit to save batterylife or for effect. And the best part is that I actually ended up with enough left overs to make 1-2 more of these! I think I'll offer those for sale to help cover the cost of parts and to share the goodness!

Please feel free to leave commentary on this or ask questions.

Great job on the firebombs. I just love the glow of the fire bomb, it reminds me of a lava lamp that I use to have. I like how you attached the bombs to the hip plate. I would never thought of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back