First armor project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demonbane775

So, I'm making my first armor. It's Halo Reach, UA/ODST chest plate, Operator helmet, and default sholders, forearms, and equipment.

What I'd like to do is make some kind of base suit, then put a metal covering over it and paint it. Could someone help me out with this?

you could use pepakura to make a base suit. which you could layer metal sheeting over that or if you had the tools i suppose you could take the pep files and transfer them straight onto thin metal sheeting to make the armour then bash out using rounding hammers into a more curved shape...

here's the link to the peps

halocostuming.wikia.com/wiki/Pepakura_File_Index

No offense to Cantium042, but disregard that link. We're trying to phase out the Halo costuming wiki, even though it was a great place when it first started. There is a new place to get almost all the files you could possibly want.

405th Pepakura Database

Why not first harden the pepakura, with resin, fiberglass, and then more fiberglass, so the item is more rigid for the metal? Quite a task, sir, so be mindful of your surroundings ^_^

Ps... made any armor/costumes before?

No offense to Cantium042, but disregard that link. We're trying to phase out the Halo costuming wiki, even though it was a great place when it first started. There is a new place to get almost all the files you could possibly want.

405th Pepakura Database

I will defiantly second Carpathia's link.

If this is your first time working with pepakura I would suggest to try and make a smaller piece like the hand before jumping into a big piece like the chest... That way you can get some practice in making sure you get the scale right.. Good luck!

Don't wanna threadjack, but concerning the Halo Costuming Wiki and the 405th Pepakura Database.......I noticed that the 405th Database is missing a few HD Spartan Mk. VI armor files, which the Costuming Wiki has (thigh, shin, and codpiece if I remember correctly) . Now, there might be other ways to find those files on this site, but I didn't want to spend a long time searching for a few files.

Just wanted to throw that out there, so that maybe they could be added to the database, and truly make it a one stop shop.

...I noticed that the 405th Database is missing a few HD Spartan Mk. VI armor files, which the Costuming Wiki has (thigh, shin, and codpiece if I remember correctly) . .

The database is currently being updated. I'll let MissingSpartan7 know that those files are missing and get them in there.

So, what should I use for a base material on the armor?

If you're building your armor using the pepakura method, you'll want to use 110 lb cardstock. For a basic run through of what you'll need, I HIGHLY suggest you read around before starting. Pay particular attention to this thread...

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/34408-All-In-One-New-Member-Introduction-Guide

I made a very baisic War Machine costume about a year and a half ago- which I don't really want to count, as it sorta sucked before falling apart. I did the entire thing wrong, so I'm actually going to go at this one with a plan.

Plans are definitely a good thing, and there's a wealth of knowledge on this site. The tutorials are great, and after those you might consider checking out some of the threads in the other sections as well. Several other members have builds that give very good information along the way. I've learned a lot from reading through builds by carpathiavh99, Longshot-X and Cereal Kill3r. They all used the pep method to form a base.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back