First attempt at 3D printing an EOD helmet (probably going to be picture heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fearose

This is my first attempt at making an EOD helmet for my friend's suit. Started off great trying to print in quarters but ended up having a print failure due to my filament deciding to get tangled up. The second attempt was one split into about eight pieces.
20190917_204242.jpg

So far the upper mid section of the helmet is printing well. This has been printing for almost three days. I'm trying to find a good infil that will be strong but not take forever. This is being printed with 60% infil at .1mm layer height. Maybe a little overkill. The learning process never ends. I'll post updates here on the print as more pieces get finished or start printing.
20190917_204254.jpg
20190917_204304.jpg

Attachments

• 20190917_204304.jpg
    20190917_204304.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 255
Your print quality is looking pretty good! If time is a factor you can always sneak up the resolution by increments of the magic number of your steppers and screws (usually 0.05mm increments with a lot of standard parts). For armour pieces I almost exclusively print at 0.2mm layer heights except for very fine detail sections that have etchings and marks such as text.

Looking forward to updates!

Your print quality is looking pretty good! If time is a factor you can always sneak up the resolution by increments of the magic number of your steppers and screws (usually 0.05mm increments with a lot of standard parts). For armour pieces I almost exclusively print at 0.2mm layer heights except for very fine detail sections that have etchings and marks such as text.

Looking forward to updates!
Thank you! I might have to try that out when this piece is done. Time isn't a factor, I'm just an impatient man lol

Anybody have any recommendations on sanding? Should I wait until the whole piece is together, or sand them one at a time when they are done? I plan on doing a base sanding so they will fit together.

Anybody have any recommendations on sanding? Should I wait until the whole piece is together, or sand them one at a time when they are done? I plan on doing a base sanding so they will fit together.
That's a question best answered on size of your piece. For helmets I like to assemble, do body filler and then sand so that the seams are hidden. For larger props I like to sand in parts to get into difficult spots, assemble and then sand down the seams and do the rest.

Dirtdives, get one of these bad bois
1568834068502.png

You've just been FoTR-ed!!!!!!
I was just trying to be helpful with speeding up prints!

Another good option for possibly saving filament and maintaining strength is up the number of shells but drop the infill percentage. This is dependent on the overall geometry of your model but having extra thickness on your surface gives you a bit more strength overall and a bit of leeway when sanding and smoothing.

I was just trying to be helpful with speeding up prints!

Another good option for possibly saving filament and maintaining strength is up the number of shells but drop the infill percentage. This is dependent on the overall geometry of your model but having extra thickness on your surface gives you a bit more strength overall and a bit of leeway when sanding and smoothing.
I'll have to see what I can do. Theres really not much of a tutorial on YouTube/the internet so I've just been winging it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back