First Build and stuck on how to fit visor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shumway

Hi, This is my first go at making anything like this. I have been using EVA foam for my Mark VI armor but i have found that fitting a bike visor to the inside of the Helmet is pushing on the sides of the helmet and distorting the shape of it. Is it possible to heat the visor to hold the right shape or will this damage it?

Hi, This is my first go at making anything like this. I have been using EVA foam for my Mark VI armor but i have found that fitting a bike visor to the inside of the Helmet is pushing on the sides of the helmet and distorting the shape of it. Is it possible to heat the visor to hold the right shape or will this damage it?

How about trying to fit the bike visor to the shape of the helmet and not the other way around, its what i would do if i was in that situation

I know for my eod I had to put a ton of pressure on my visor to make it conform to the helmet, and trying to build up the helmet around the visor to leave it at its original curve would have looked rather silly. Unfortunately with an eva helmet you don't have the luxury of manhandling the visor into place and bolting it down, so modifying the visor or making one from scratch is your only option.

Is all of your visor needed to fit your helmet? If you have any scrap pieces, you could test out adding heat to see if it distorts the tint of the visor or the visibility of it. If you do not, you might just have to give it a go on your intact visor and hope for the best, accepting that there is a chance it may not work. I'd give it a day or two to see if anyone else chimes in first! Most motorcycle lenses are made from polycarbonate, which I believe can be molded by heat. Unfortunately if your heat is uneven and parts of the visor bend at differentrates/angles, that will cause the vision to be distorted. The tint is your other dilemma, and I'm not familiar enough with it to give much insight.

I have seen some one gently heat a visor with a heart gun in this same prodicoment. If I remember right you need to heat the side with no tint on. I can't guaranty 100% perfect results though as never done it personally.

Is the visor already attached? You can use a heat gun but w/ great care and precision. And as drack said, do not heat the tinted side.

I heated mine on the sides to bend and I can tell you for certain that it is very easy to damage the visor. Mine formed vertical white lines when stretched beyond a certain point (not much room for error). Be cautious and try it out on the end of the visor or if you cut it at all, a piece you are not using. Hope you have better luck than I did.

How about something unconventional like hot water. If you put the end in boiling water it may soften enough to allow it to bend w/o damaging the visor.

Hey, when I did my helmet I used a flexible visor. It allows you to have full freedom with it (At the cost of some minor details) but its very flexible and you can't see inside the helmet when looking from outside. Now, unlike the other visors it doesn't protect from anything except light (Its like using sunglasses for me when I'm using contacts). That's just my two cents, but If anything I think what drack said about heating the non tinted side would work or Moe with cutting the visor. Hope you get it to work!

Hi, I have used heat gun on it and i ended up with some small white flecks running through it which aren't too noticeable unless you hold to the light.It doesn't show at all when fitted so should be good once the tinted film is added.
SAM_4041.JPG

Thanks to everyone for your advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back