First build - Jorge, Halo Reach

PapaBear271

Member DIN
S271
While many start with their helmet, I'm starting from the bottom up. Here are my self made halo pimp shoes that add 4 inches. I'll be 6'8" without the helmet.

307006614_10225616741479208_1119482127424887539_n.jpg

The base shoe is some Sketchers. I traced the sole out on paper. I cut 3 layers of 10mm foam and glued them together. Then I added two stair stepped layers of 10mm in the heal. I filled in gaps with foam wedges and hot glue. Once the toe and heal are glued down, I cut out the middle to allow for flex in the shoe (otherwise they slip off my heal as I walk). I filled any holes and gaps with hot glue as best as I could. I used gaffer tape for extra strength. To finish it I added a rubber sole with contact cement. This will all be covered by the armor pieces coming here soon

Lesson learned: I would cut the platform foam addition to match the toe armor piece and heal piece instead of matching the sole of the shoe. This will give you a better surface to mount these pieces. I had to add wedges after the fact. Also I would add the rubber sole after the toe and heal piece is mounted to the shoe to protect the foam and strengthen the bond between the shoe and the armor pieces.

Rubber Sole: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083KLM6YZ?psc=1...
Sketchers: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FKX52DJ?psc=1...

Last edited:
While many start with their helmet, I'm starting from the bottom up. Here are my self made halo pimp shoes that add 4 inches. I'll be 6'8" without the helmet.

View attachment 323197
I know it’s just begun but I can’t wait to see the finished product of the whole armor set! Is there any other part that you have made yet that you can show off or is the footwear your starting piece?

Ah youve started with comfortable shoes.
Its going to be a good build.

Shoe bases for cosplays nearly always seem to be the kind youd find that sorta look the part, not the sort youd ever choose to wear for 8 hours.
Good that youve not fallen into that trap. Looking forwards to the build!

The base shoe is some Sketchers. I traced the sole out on paper. I cut 3 layers of 10mm foam and glued them together. Then I added two stair stepped layers of 10mm in the heal. I filled in gaps with foam wedges and hot glue. Once the toe and heal are glued down, I cut out the middle to allow for flex in the shoe (otherwise they slip off my heal as I walk). I filled any holes and gaps with hot glue as best as I could. I used gaffer tape for extra strength. To finish it I added a rubber sole with contact cement. This will all be covered by the armor pieces coming here soon
Rubber Sole: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083KLM6YZ?psc=1...
Sketchers: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FKX52DJ?psc=1...
I can't wait to see your complete set! I also appreciate the list of materials and your attention to detail in your build log so far!

As soon as i can get a printer the right size im going to be scaling the feet to fit an allbirds shoe inside. I dont wanna stand all day on uncomfortable shoes so im glad to see others doing the same thing

yes i am with everyone when i say this is going to be a awesome thread to watch. and the list of materials are a nice touch.

That boot is nice! I wonder how you are going to make jorge's gun. A mini or a full scale version.
Full Scale!!! I want to put lights, speaker, and smoke on it. I want to be able to "shoot" it with muzzle flash, sound and overheat condition with hot barrel smoke. I see an arduino in my future...

duct/gaff tape for the win...

those look great
So the gaff tape I ordered didn't hold for long. I ended up scrapping the tape. Ever gap between the shoe and the foam platform was filled with hot glue. It had a great bond and was really strong when I tried to pull it off. So I pulled all the gaff tape off, re-cemented the rubber soles directly to the foam. See "Lessons Learned" in my original edited post.

I know it’s just begun but I can’t wait to see the finished product of the whole armor set! Is there any other part that you have made yet that you can show off or is the footwear your starting piece?
This is my first build so I'm starting from the bottom up. People tend to focus at the helmet and work their way down. By starting at the bottom, my errors and mistakes are less noticeable and my skills will improve as I go. At least that is my theory...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back