First build progress H3 Marine

ConnorCreator

Hey everyone I'm relativity new here but I've been using this new found free time to go nose to the grind stone on costume making. I've always wanted the armor the Halo 3 Marines wore so I was pleased to see it in the files! I figured i would share my progress with the community for thoughts. p.s I've never worked with fiber glass before so the shoulder pad was a learning experience but by the time i made it to the helmet I felt that I had figured it out.

This community is awesome and I couldn't have started if it weren't for all the guides a resources you've compiled so thank you for jump starting my new hobby.

Attachments

Spidermonkey60

RMO
405th Regiment Officer
This is the marine I just finished back in February. Happy to see another Tactical boi join the ranks.
F40E6BE3-05E9-4747-B464-D418FDF11235.jpeg

And heres the build thread.

ConnorCreator

This is the marine I just finished back in February. Happy to see another Tactical boi join the ranks.
View attachment 289008
That's a solid build man.

LegacyAlloy227

it's very sticky. also you need a respirator for the fiberglass stage. and a lot of disposable gloves.
Alright, I might be able to manage after using wood glue paper mache if that's similar. I also have a Cold War era NATO gas mask, so I should be set. How long would it take to complete a Reach ODST? I'm moving out in roughly 13-14 months when I transfer to UW-Platteville. I don't think having an incomplete build would be fun to move with.

Last edited:

he4thbar

Alright, I might be able to manage after using wood glue paper mache if that's similar. I also have a Cold War era NATO gas mask, so I should be set. How long would it take to complete a Reach ODST? I'm moving out in roughly 13-14 months when I transfer to UW-Platteville. I don't think having an incomplete build would be fun to move with.
I have no idea if that would work(gas mask). but it would not be fun to see out of. also I used hot glue and just cardstock before hitting the resin stage. my first build took around 7-8 months. if you put in the time it would take that maybe less.

ConnorCreator

I can dedicate anywhere between 5-20 hours a week towards cosplay. It'll be a challenge, but I think I can do it. ConnorCreator, what are some things you learned that I should look out for?
The gas mask should work being that it's a military based mast so the filters should be rated to filter toxins but it depends on how old it is, i would suggest getting a respirator for $20 at home depot being that you wont want your whole face covered when working with fine detail, i think the mask would be stifling.

make sure you have a ton of disposable cups to mix resins in and a ton of those cheap brushes from home depot being that each brush is ruined after about 1 layer of resin.

work outside as most chems is cosplay are very toxic.

Don't handle fiberglass without gloves and mask, maybe even goggles because the particles getting in your eye is a quick hospital trip, I thought everyone was just being over paranoid and I didn't wear protective gear and let me say....... you don't want any of this entering your body....its like being infected by the flood.

use fiberglass cloth for your first layer inside the armor to fit all the details and corners then use fiberglass mats over that for strength.

Don't rush anything, working with resins is like writing in pen, if you try to finish something real fast before work and you have a slight droop or warp it can honestly ruin the entire piece.

I highly recommend a 3d printer for smaller highly detailed parts.

make sure you understand which way you're supposed to bend a line in pep being that some parts have very specific angles they are supposed to bend at to form the object and if you bend it the wrong way you might have a detail that appears to be indented when its supposed to be protruding, consistent dotted line means bend away from you, abnormal dotted line means bent towards you.

Do a very thin coat of just the fiber glass resin on the outside of the armor before doing a full fiber glassing of the inside to harden the outside and may it hold shape.

good luck with the build, comment if you have any other questions man.

also just for fun I tested my 3d printer to see if its practical to print entire helmets, I've included a pic of the Reach EOD helm I'm working on.
that's fresh off the printer and glued together with no finish or sanding yet.

me posting this pic isn't relevant to the convo in this thread but I felt like showing off what I'm currently working on as a side project from my marine build. :)

Attachments

ConnorCreator

View attachment 289008
hey brotha how did you do your shoulders? the pep files available online are much lower detail and not 100% true to form.

LegacyAlloy227

ConnorCreator Thanks for the tips! I'll especially take the ppe suggestions to heart. I thought the gas mask would be a good way for eye and respiratory protection, but I'll need to get a respirator to account for detailing.

Sean Anwalt

RCO
405th Regiment Officer
What are some things I should know before jumping into it?
Everyone has blasted over the obvious.

Find some good music and settle in, pepakura work is tedious!

You've got some great pointers for the glassing stage, is just caution be careful and work slow. The more you put into it the more you get out. Don't settle for half- heated work, sand it smooth!

Focus on your corners and small bits and the big parts take care of themselves.

Good luck!