*First Ever Build!* Sliced M6G Magnum - Cardboard Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

PiercingThread7

Jr Member
Hello to everybody at the 405th. I am a long time Lurker, but recently created an account to post the progress of my current and upcoming builds. About 3 weeks ago I started making a sliced M6G Magnum. In addition to being young compared to most of you, I am also Broke and have almost no tools (Such as a Dremel, Hot knife, Bondo, Fiberglass, etc...), so I will be making my magnum out of Cardboard (3mm and 1mm), drywall compound, wood glue (For extra strength. It can also be sanded. :)) and various types of paint. I am nearly to the painting stage and will have pics up soon. :)

Credit to CHEVYSRULE for the sliced pep file.

Reference Pic!
M6G_Pistol_zps6de6c044.png.html

I love the fact that even tho most of use have the ability to buy the rquired tools and extras, the amount of scratch build brings joy to my face. i ove looking and reading how ppl "find" things to make what ever they want ..

I love the fact that even tho most of use have the ability to buy the rquired tools and extras, the amount of scratch build brings joy to my face. i ove looking and reading how ppl "find" things to make what ever they want ..

Thank you! I try to build with whatever I have around.

First update!:)

I found some pictures on my phone of the magnum at an earlier stage. This was taken right after sanding the drywall compound.
2013-11-21063924_zpsd15a8543.jpg
[/IMG]
Sorry for the bad quality. I will be using my phone to take pictures of my progress because I do not have a good camera, and as I said before, I am broke.

I will post more updates soon.

It's looking very good so far! It's certainly turning out much better than my attempt at it. I'm curious to see how it develops. Are you planning to add anything else to it when you're finished with the painting process?(ie, a flashlight,laser pointer)

It's looking very good so far! It's certainly turning out much better than my attempt at it. I'm curious to see how it develops. Are you planning to add anything else to it when you're finished with the painting process?(ie, a flashlight,laser pointer)

I have added one of those batteries that go inside of a laser pointer to make the little cylindrical thing on the smartlink scope. I do not plan on making attachments. Pics will be posted soon.

New update!

I have finished strengthening the cardboard with several layers of wood glue due to a lack of resin. The result was quite nice. I ended up with a strong beast. I did a drop test. No dents, no cracks, and no chips. I am quite satisfied.

Here is a pic of the strengthened gun with the smartlink scope magnet.
2013-11-27191907_zps97255e93.jpg
[/IMG]

First Huge Update! Painting Process is nearly done! i just have a few final details to paint on before i call it "Finished."
here are some pics. :)
2013-12-01212252_zps2364cc21.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
2013-12-01212224_zps9c1be9d5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Feel free to reply with any opinions! :)

Very nice, as for your concerns about weathering, keep one thing in mind. Very seldom do you see a weapon that is genuinely silver, they're generally a variation of a gunmetal grey. For your weathering I'd personally use a blackwash on the whole weapon, maybe two or three times to really darken all of the crevices (a dark wash is essentially just watered down black paint, brushed onto the weapon to get into all the nooks and crannys) and then use the silver VERY lightly to highlight the weapon.
Great job though, looking forward to your updates ;)

Very nice, as for your concerns about weathering, keep one thing in mind. Very seldom do you see a weapon that is genuinely silver, they're generally a variation of a gunmetal grey. For your weathering I'd personally use a blackwash on the whole weapon, maybe two or three times to really darken all of the crevices (a dark wash is essentially just watered down black paint, brushed onto the weapon to get into all the nooks and crannys) and then use the silver VERY lightly to highlight the weapon.
Great job though, looking forward to your updates ;)
Thank you! :)
I said, I was NEARLY done. I am going to paint over the silver with a mix of silver and black to achieve a gunmetal colour. After that, I will paint the yellow dots on the rear sight and the red upright rectangle below the rear sight. After that, I will add the little red details to the smartlink scope and try to add a texture to the handle. Progress is a little slow right now, as I just had my mid-semester exams. Pics will be posted soon.

New update!

I have finished giving the magnum a gunmetal (sort of) top coat. I have added a few small deatils, such as the red markings on the smartlink scope. I still need to add more details and some weathering, but I am making progress.

Progress.
2013-12-08190241_zps71469c1b.jpg
[/IMG]
2013-12-08190259_zps89fec004.jpg
[/IMG]

*HUGE CLOSING UPDATE*

As of now, My M6 is Completely finished. It was a great first build and I am quite satisfied with the end result. I would like to thank all of you for your comments, opinions, and ideas, especially with the weathering. As all updated s should have pics, here they are!

2013-12-17184332_zps6293a9e6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
this was probably my favourite part of the Magnum to weather.

2013-12-17184541_zps94a869ed.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
I made the grip look worn down by getting a metallic silver marker and rubbing in little circles or ovals.

2013-12-17184103_zpsff48b7e2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
This was originally a minor imperfection, but with some weathering, I made it look pretty badass.

2013-12-17183939_zps9d1c21d9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Grip and Handguard.

2013-12-17184230_zps2d1bfa02.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Rear view from an angle.

2013-12-17182807_zps249a1313.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Full view of the final product.

Again, I would like to thank all of you for the motivation and comments, opinions, and ideas. more will be appreciated! :)

Also, here is a little sneak peek at my next build. :)
2013-12-17191723_zps96a14cd4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Stay Frosty 405th!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back