First Spartan III build (3D print)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Current WIP paint job of the stanchion. It's not easy to see yet but I did end up carving the letters into the shroud with a solder. Still gotta paint the optic and clean up some spots where the paint ran a bit.

20220129_162120.jpg
20220129_162146.jpg

Also did a few blood paint tests on some other prints of human, elite, and hunter blood.
20220129_162821.jpg
20220129_162841.jpg

Ok, so i went back and looked at the first set of pictures when you suited up. I noticed that you had a CQC plate on one of your shoulders. I was just curious (if it's not too much trouble) if you could put up some pictures for reference. I'm thinking about building a Halo: Reach spartan, specifically my spartan from the MCC. On said spartan, however is a CQC shoulder plate, but I can't find any clear models or pics of the plate to be able to replicate it.

Ok, so i went back and looked at the first set of pictures when you suited up. I noticed that you had a CQC plate on one of your shoulders. I was just curious (if it's not too much trouble) if you could put up some pictures for reference. I'm thinking about building a Halo: Reach spartan, specifically my spartan from the MCC. On said spartan, however is a CQC shoulder plate, but I can't find any clear models or pics of the plate to be able to replicate it.
I can show a few more pictures of it later as a source of reference but I did purchase them from NerdForgeDesigns on etsy. I'm pretty sure you can message them here on the forums (or Etsy) and work something out for better reference images.

I do have a little bit of feedback on the longboi that I noticed from carrying it around for a couple hours and if you're interested.
I'm always down to hear how other people experience things. Just because I'm having an okay time with something doesn't mean everyone else will.

I'm always down to hear how other people experience things. Just because I'm having an okay time with something doesn't mean everyone else will.
It carries and handles fine but there is a week point near the back that could use a bit more support.
FB_IMG_1644890043284 (2)_LI.jpg

The steel supports are non-negotiable for this area and are absolutely necessary. With so much weight on the front even just carrying at a low ready had the area outlined flexing and cracking the paint there, I didn't notice until a couple hours into carrying it and it wasn't noticeable in pictures but could be a concern if anyone likes to lift it with one hand like me. If possible I'd recommend for others to find a way to put a solid support structure in this area like with the shrouds.

It carries and handles fine but there is a week point near the back that could use a bit more support.
View attachment 314254
The steel supports are non-negotiable for this area and are absolutely necessary. With so much weight on the front even just carrying at a low ready had the area outlined flexing and cracking the paint there, I didn't notice until a couple hours into carrying it and it wasn't noticeable in pictures but could be a concern if anyone likes to lift it with one hand like me. If possible I'd recommend for others to find a way to put a solid support structure in this area like with the shrouds.
Sounds good. So a greater emphasis on print orientation to help with flexing and supports for days to help with the swinging around.

After wearing my armor to an actual con I've decided to make some changes (additions, upgrades, and improvements). The screenshots attached show some of the revisions to scaling and additions I'm thinking of adding.

Screenshot (120).png

This screenshot shows the current intent of my armor with some current and alternate scales of a few pieces. Firstly I'll be making some alternate helmets, mostly for fun and added variety. Secondly I'd like to point out the MA37 that I've scaled down to 80% to fit me a bit better that I'm currently working on printing.

Screenshot (122).png

This screenshot is to help show the intent to add the recon chest pieces, I currently have the mag pouches locations and canted position printed out in the MOLLE configuration and am debating which to use. I'm also planning to make a set of CQC shoulders rescaled to reflect the new size I did for the biceps. I'd also like to point to the hand plates that I'm using, they are the hand plates for the Elite's energy daggers modeled by Moesizzlac.

Screenshot (121).png

This last screenshot Is to show off the intent to add a backpack like Jorge has for his turret and the butt pouch for the Tactical Recon chest pouches. The current intent is to use Moesizzlac's files and make them fit onto NerdForgeDesigns files but I might not do that if its too much trouble.

These are the things I'm currently working on and wanted to let you all know. More pics will follow as things are completed.

I've been a little slow to build the attachments for my armor but I'm almost done printing the all the pouches that go on the front, pics to follow soon. I have gotten quite a bit of work done on filling out my armory a bit however with adding a MA37, M7, and currently still printing out a VK78. These 3 are my current focus as I want to finish all of them before the cons coming up next month.

20220323_104809.jpg
20220323_104448.jpg
20220323_104545.jpg
20220323_104648.jpg

Finished the preliminary paint pass of the MA37 and threw on the yellow strip for the heck of it. Came out a little more shiny than I wanted on the black parts but I can brush over some flat black to fix it. Unfortunately when I first put it together I didnt line up a few parts properly and they stand out a bit more than I was hoping, even after trying use a solder to align/melt them into the proper position. I'll probably remake this in a left handed configuration anyways but it's still a good looking prop.
Snapchat-1862528953.jpg

Snapchat-1114443550.jpg

20220331_225542.jpg

Details and other props to follow soonish.

Small photo dump of some of my favorites from planet comicon this weekend with so many different 405th members. (I've tagged the in so many other things so I wont tag them here so I dont annoy them)

IMG_3677.jpg
20220423_173244.jpg
IMG_5305.jpg
20220423_113238.jpg
IMG_3599.jpg
Screenshot_20220422-185315_Instagram.jpg
IMG_3704.jpeg
IMG_3698.jpeg

Absolutely great time this weekend and still so many more photos to be posted, cant wait till the next con with everyone. Next post will be about all the repairs and planned improvements to come!

Breaks amd repairs:

1.) Chest plate shoulder straps.
The sections for my chest plate broke 2 different times. Once from friday and was able to be fixed with duct tape and welding it together with extra material and then again on saturday from carrying the stanchion for a few hours.
Snapchat-78625893.jpg
20220426_120428.jpg

I originally printed most of my armor in 1.2-1.6mm walls with 5-10% infill which you can see above. I'm now upping the strength of this section by about 3 times by reprinting in 3.2mm walls and 25% infill to make sure it can fully withstand the wrath of the stanchy. I'll be trying to just cut away the old broken sections and salvaging the remaining chest and back plates but its likely I'll have to completely redo both.
20220426_120456.jpg

(New wall and infill view)

2.) Weapon breaks
As what seemed to be a running theme with the con mine and a few others magnums kept falling and hitting pretty hard. On either side of the slide to my magnum a thin section of the slide snapped off. Easy enough of a fix, I'll just have to glue it back together.
20220426_120524.jpg

Additionally the scope mount to the stanchion came off when doing glory pictures with nobles CE armor. I originally used hot glue but am just going to weld it back together with a solder. No picture of the break.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back