First time building, on a budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xandion

Hey all. I've been lurking around for a little while, and finally bit the bullet and made an account with intent to get into building things, especially with Outpost Discovery being a thing that's looking to stick around for a while.
I've got plans to jump in with a Reach Pilot set, and I'm wondering if there's any specific place I should get EVA foam, or any other materials. And I'm wondering what the difference is between the Foam Models and pepakura assets.

Last question would be what the significance is between the Army BDU chestpiece set: Halo: Reach - UNSC Army

And the Marine chestpiece shown here: Halo: Reach - UNSC Marine
As far as anyone I had asked had gone, we could have sworn Reach Marines were just using a darker brown Army set.

The file in the Army Trooper
Has the chest and Ab plate/belt.

The file in the Marine Section:
Has the chest armor by itself.

You are correct that technically in Halo: Reach, the UNSC Army Troopers and UNSC Marines share many components, including the base chest armor and that either chest file is fine for either character, and that the primary differences are in terms of coloration, Armor Markings, and gear and accessory load outs and layouts. In this case, what happened is that all of our FIles are user and member generated and offered for use. When these files were submitted to us by a member, that is how they were labeled by that user, and we added them to The Armory as named.

For foam I like harbor frieght as it is usually the cheapest place to get it, as it comes in a pack of four puzzle peice anti fatigue floor mats, but you can get em from Amazon or fro cosplay supple shops if that is more down your alley or you would like to try different thicknesses and densities

Hey all. I've been lurking around for a little while, and finally bit the bullet and made an account with intent to get into building things, especially with Outpost Discovery being a thing that's looking to stick around for a while.
I've got plans to jump in with a Reach Pilot set, and I'm wondering if there's any specific place I should get EVA foam, or any other materials. And I'm wondering what the difference is between the Foam Models and pepakura assets.

Last question would be what the significance is between the Army BDU chestpiece set: Halo: Reach - UNSC Army

As far as anyone I had asked had gone, we could have sworn Reach Marines were just using a darker brown Army set.
PerniciousDuke and I have gone through a few different resources to help put together a guide for the non-SPARTAN UNSC members of Halo:Reach
The pilots are a bit of a weird one depending on if they are Army or Navy (in-atmosphere or not) since the flight suit changes slightly and certain armour components change out for breathing apparatus.

Congrats on starting your first build!! You can purchase EVA foam from harbor freight or amazon. I buy mine on TNT cosplay because both sides are smooth and it has a high destiny. I usually use 5-6mm and 13mm thicknesses because you can easily bend and mold those. 1/2 starts getting hard to mold and bend--atleast it is in my experience.
Always have a hot glue gun on hand and a blade sharpener because you will need to replace/sharpen the box cutter blades often if you want clean lines. Beveling is also a good friend for armor building.
If you want buying a rotary tool is also SUPER helpful when sanding and adding different designs and edges. A heat gun is necessary if you want to mold/bend your foam and it also helps seal it for when you go to prime your foam.

Hope that helps and it wasn't information overload!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back