First Time Doing Everything... Needs Advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saber

Member DIN
S028
I'm sorry... Let me further introduce myself...

I'm Saber! (duh...)

I live in Oregon in a small town next to the big cities where I can find anything I need!

I am working on my first suit of armor!! YAY! MARK VI!!! <3

And I am really nervous upon starting it... I have all of the files downloaded (that I need) and I have lots of questions!! If people could give me thier responses (critisism or no) on my armor or to answer my questions, that be great!!

Arigato! ("Thanks!" in Japanese)

-Saber

ok what program are you using pepakura 2 or version 3 if so i use version 3 the to be more presice because it is in millimeters i'll give you a video tutorial on sizing techniques thanks to abrant 3 >>abrant sizing tut<< plently of answers there need any more help use the q&a team or pm me

caio

p.s(make sure you do not double post use the editing tool) hope to see some progres!

Having built a suit before, I know what you're going threw in regards to sizing. It can be a pain, but if you do the calculations right from the tuts mentioned above, you should be fine. However, be aware that for sizing things, you should probably build a low-poly version first, to test for size. Then move on to a higher-quality model. This will help quite a bit in regards to the feet. Also, measure the boot you will be wearing with the suit when scaling the feet as it will better fit you in the long run.

Another tip, is when you work with fiberglass and Bondo, remember to do so in around 80 degree F heat. That keeps it liquid long enough to apply nicely. For fiberglass resin, use a brush to apply onto pre-placed sheets of fiberglass (fasten them with glue or something so they don't warp/move when applying) and keep the fiberglass strips away from the edges as you might run into problems with comfort. In regards to Bondo, use flat surfaces and remember, a little goes a long way. Apply in thin layers to areas needing smoothing and make sure they are pretty smooth before it sets.

This should get you well on your way to making your Mark VI, but I suggest reading every tutorial before going any further.

- Adulese

PS: Get a Respirator. Honestly, the stuff stinks, so get one. Like, now. xD

Pepakura File Index is where you can get HD pep files.

Speaking from experience, the HD pep files can cause quite a bit of aggravation, but the final product is totally worth it.

Try to avoid double and triple posting, if you want to add something, edit your last post.

Throw up some photos! I'm sure we'd all like to see your work.

Start with whatever is most comfortable to you.

I actually found I had to scale the handplates down quite a bit.

check out my thread for pictures of the 74 scale hand plates I made that matched the rest of the suit, and the smaller ones I ended up making to fit my hands.

Generally you can follow the Scaling thread, but it's always a good idea to look at reference pictures and measure what size the piece should be on your own body, then compare it with the scale's measurements in Pepakura Designer.

ok um so how do i even begain scaling my size im 5.7 or 173cm's and what supplies and tools do i need to get started and also do you guys know were i can find mark 4 armour?. thanks please email or pm thank you.

Kainknine said:
ok um so how do i even begain scaling my size im 5.7 or 173cm's and what supplies and tools do i need to get started and also do you guys know were i can find mark 4 armour?. thanks please email or pm thank you.

Please read all the stickies in the noob forum and the pepakura forum. We can help you but we won't hand feed you everything. We were all new at all of these techniques like yourself when we joined. Everything you asked for is in those 2 spots, this stuff takes alot of research and a lot of time. As for Mark IV to my knowledge there is no pep model for it.

This should get you started to finding the stickies and figuring out how this all works :)

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17078&st=0

Cheers,

Kensai

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick Question!!:

I just finished pepping my assault rifle and I don't know how to harden it!! I've been considering paper mache but I don't know whether that is a good idea or not! I'll get pics posted when I find my camera cord... (still can't find it... *sigh*)

i got 1 word of advise TAKE Your time (and get sum headphones lol

and as far as you assault rifle you have several options

1.Resin outside then fill with spray foam(little at time unless you want it to explode

2.Resin then cut in half and fiberglass inside the reattach halfs

3.Resin outside and get a sample kit of smoothon plastic(make sure gun is sealed good)and slush the inside with plastic

hope this helps

Hey 'yall!

I have started a new thread. So I won't be posting on this thread anymore. Thank you to the people who have helped me so far and make sure to check my new thread to see how I'm doing!

I'm sorry if I have sounded VERY noobish or punkish in any way with this thread. That was not my intentions I was just really overwhelmed with all of this work that I compressed into my mind all at once. *dizzy*

Thanks again for helping me out and make sure to check my new thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back