First Time Fibreglassing..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hacky21

Hey guys this is my first post, I've been browsing this site for months now and finally built up the confidence to fibreglass my pep MKVI helm:

dscf0220.jpg

As you can see, I'm only about half way to completion and i have a few problems.

Firstly, how do I get the fibre matting to go sharp round corners? I tried for ages to bend the glass round, soaked it in resin and it just wouldn't stay!! - Anyway it dried with half of it sticking off the bend, and one peice just skipped the corner completely (i hope you can see in the pic)

dscf0221u.jpg

and secondly, how do you guys get the fibreglass into hard to reach areas like the peak of the helm?

dscf0227n.jpg

Also I'd welcome constructive criticism with open arms (just try not to hurt my feelings :p)

Thanks guys

Looks great for your first time!

Sharp edges are really difficult to get. You can try fiberglassing it in sections, sometimes that works. Sometimes it's just unavoidable. In the areas you circled in the second picture you could try cutting away the hardened fiberglass and filling it in with resin.

Again, it looks great!

gamerguy55 said:
Looks great for your first time!

Sharp edges are really difficult to get. You can try fiberglassing it in sections, sometimes that works. Sometimes it's just unavoidable. In the areas you circled in the second picture you could try cutting away the hardened fiberglass and filling it in with resin.

Again, it looks great!
Thanks for your advice, I was just worried it would seriously affect the strength of the helm but I suppose if I just filled the gaps with resin it should be fine, I don't really care what it looks like inside. I'll have a go tomorrow if it's nice outside hehe.

Also I've left the helm for hours and it stinks of resin still. Is this normal? How long would you usually have to wait for it to stop smelling?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hacky21 said:
Thanks for your advice, I was just worried it would seriously affect the strength of the helm but I suppose if I just filled the gaps with resin it should be fine, I don't really care what it looks like inside. I'll have a go tomorrow if it's nice outside hehe.

Also I've left the helm for hours and it stinks of resin still. Is this normal? How long would you usually have to wait for it to stop smelling?

This is absolutely normal. Do not worry about the smell if the resin is dry and hard, but don't go around breathing the stuff. Leave it outside in a hot, well ventilated area for a week and the smell should dissipate or weaken. The smell wont really go away, but within a week or two the smell wont really bother you.

For tricky sections like sharp corners, I would always tear off a smaller than usual piece of the mat. I'm assuming you're brushing the resin onto the surface before laying the mat down? That always helps it stick a little better too. Other than that, brush the piece of mat down (Actually, I always found dabbing at it was better than brushing), and then keep coming back to it as you do other pieces. At first it will stick nicely, then it'll lift a little...so you can come back to it as many times as you need to in order to stick it down while you glass up other areas inside the helmet. Also, try laying the mat so that the edges of the pieces you've torn off are what are going over the corner. Then overlap them with other pieces for strength.

As far as the peak is concerned, there's no secret to it...you're more or less flying blind. Get the resin in there, then try dabbing small pieces of the f/g mat in. You can always use a small hand mirror to get a look in there and see if you're getting it right.

Hope that made sense, good luck!

Nice start Hacky.
And don't be anxious about fiberglassing. You can always cut out any bubbles or jagged pieces of fiberglass with a dremel once it is cured and just reglass those areas.

For some of those sharp corners you may want to use fiberglass cloth. It conforms to thse sharp bends alot better. What I do is use 2 layers of mat for the flatter sections and 4 layers of cloth for the tricky spots because the cloth is thinner. You can usually find FG cloth on the shelf right next to the FG mat.

Another way I learned to reduce air pockets was to reduce the amount of resin. The first time I fiberglassed something I figured the more resin the better. This is not the case. Fiberglass mat and cloth are sold with a weight designation. (example - 6 oz mat, 9 oz mat ect.) At first I thought that this was the actual weight of the material per square yard.

Actually, the "weight" designation of the cloth or mat is how many ounces of resin it takes to fully saturate 1 square yard of mat or cloth. So for 6 oz mat you would need to mix 6 ounces of resin for a 3 foot by 3 foot piece of mat. Any less resin and the mat won't fully "wet out" which can be easily fixed . But add too much, and the fiberglass cloth kind of "moves around" within the wet resin layer. On top of that, adding alot of resin significantly increases weight, but doesn't add any strength.

Maybe someone here can give you a more understanable explanation, but I know from my expeirence that less resin is better.

Now when I glass, I first cut my fiberglass into various small squares, (1"X3", 2"X3" 3"X3"). Next I brush a coat of resin into the piece. Then I start placing the small squares into the part, dabbing them down with the tip of the brush. Add a few more pieces and make sure sure that your squares overlap a little. Once I have a small area done, I dip the brush into the resin and DAB a little onto the mat. Don't brush it on or the mat will get messy . It may take a minute or so for the cloth to "wet out", so start working on the next section, be paitent, and wait for the resin to soak through. If an area of mat looks white, then I go back and add little bit more resin (usually on the overlaps). Once the mat looks transparent, it's "wetted out"and I do not add any more. As I continue to work, I check the completed ares for air bubbles. If a few pop up, I scrape the brush on the edge of the mixing container to remove any excess resin from the brush, then dab down the bubbles with the tip of the brush. When the resin starts to gel, I stop applying it and do a final check for bubbles. Then I clean the brush with acetone before it turns into a stick. Once the brush is clean set it aside to dry and use another one for your next batch.

Working with smaller batches as opposed to trying to do the entire part with one batch will give you more time to work and produce much better results.

Anyway, that's just what works best for me, hope it helps, and good luck!

Beau Nidle said:
As far as the peak is concerned, there's no secret to it...you're more or less flying blind. Get the resin in there, then try dabbing small pieces of the f/g mat in. You can always use a small hand mirror to get a look in there and see if you're getting it right.

Hope that made sense, good luck!

I was very curious about this also, but I have f/g cloth not that shredded mat stuff so I will be cutting off some small small sections and then doing my best to wedge them in there and just being careful not to get any on my skin as I reach my arm around into it.

But its looking great mate keep going and let us all know how it comes out when your done.

Please, take this advice, don't try to glass an entire helmet at once. It's much easier to just do a little section at a time.

Ok guys thanks a bunch for your advice. What I've taken from this thread is that i should be taking my time, using smaller strips of fg and maybe the cloth on the tricky bits.

Right I guess I'm off to buy a dremel now to cut out my mistakes haha, thanks again for all your help.

Im not sure if it would work, but if my logic prevails maybe it will, try teasing out the matt so its less dense, therefore it should bend easier, if you do it in lots of layers instead of big thick ones it should bend around the sharp edges better than it is now.

Hope this helps :unsure:

TheOriginalTallGreyAlien said:
Im not sure if it would work, but if my logic prevails maybe it will, try teasing out the matt so its less dense, therefore it should bend easier, if you do it in lots of layers instead of big thick ones it should bend around the sharp edges better than it is now.

Hope this helps :unsure:

What do you mean by "teasing" out the matt? do you mean pulling strands away from it to thin it or something?

Hacky21 said:
What do you mean by "teasing" out the matt? do you mean pulling strands away from it to thin it or something?

yeah thats exactly what i mean, it would require more layers and be time consuming but it should bend to the contrours of the surface better than a thich sheet.

okay, i have a quick question, is it really necesary to put multiple layers of cloth/resin down on the inside. I have no problem with doing so, but ive also started fiberglassing and with one layer of cloth down on the inside of a piece, it seems extremely strong already. I also decided not to use mat becuase of this very problem and so ive started with the cloth.

YuutaKenshi said:
okay, i have a quick question, is it really necesary to put multiple layers of cloth/resin down on the inside. I have no problem with doing so, but ive also started fiberglassing and with one layer of cloth down on the inside of a piece, it seems extremely strong already. I also decided not to use mat becuase of this very problem and so ive started with the cloth.
Well I'm guessing that if you think it's strong enough it should be fine. I'm putting a few layers on any way, just to be sure and there are still a few soft bits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back