First time pep helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

socom

Hey guys. This is the first pep anything I have ever done. Just thought I would post and get some opinions/advice. Are things looking ok? Is the order that I have chosen to assemble gonna cause me grief down the road.

Anything you guys can offer would be great, thanks in advance,

Andrew.

IMG_2839.JPG

IMG_2840.JPG

IMG_2841.JPG

Lookin good so far! As for order of assembly... It all gets to be a pain in the ass with the helmet ha ha

Good to know, thanks for the response. So all helmets are a PITA. As I progress I will post more pics. Plan on doing bondo to freindly up, and would like to do the lights. This is such an interesting hobby, can see why people get hooked.

Hey guys, thought I would give a bit of an update as to my helm progress, and maybe ask a few questions.

Here is where I am at so far.

IMG_2842.JPG

IMG_2843.JPG

IMG_2844.JPG

IMG_2845.JPG

IMG_2846.JPG

IMG_2847.JPG

So, I know I need to assemble the supports and the visor to help with warping. The supports are easy...just match the numbers. But what about the visor../there are no tabs or numbers, so what does it get glued to?

Also since I am close, how many coats of resin do you guys recommend.

Thanks in advance for looking and your help,

Andrew.

Im doing this for myself. If it works(and looks good) then I will do the rest of the armor. But the helmet first. Be cool to have done for the Halcom held here, next year.

I have no experience with the visor issue, however I only put 1 coat of resin on my helmet and it held up great for the glass stage. I only resined the outside and let that cure overnight before I resined and glassed the inside. Looking at the visor, are there any indications as to where it might fit in? I dont think the visor in my JFO helmet had any edge id's but it was pretty self explanatory by looking at the shape and how the tabs on the helmet lined up with the completed visor. Good luck on your project! It looks great so far!

I just resined my first Mk. VI helmet. I ended up not even using the pep visor. I didn't even use all of the supports. I just did a few a round the visor opening......nothing warped.

It doesn't even look like the visor would fit with all the supports glued in place. I might end up gluing the visor in place when I am going to rondo the inside of the helmet. But for resining, you should be completely fine with just the supports.

I have no experience with the visor issue, however I only put 1 coat of resin on my helmet and it held up great for the glass stage. I only resined the outside and let that cure overnight before I resined and glassed the inside. Looking at the visor, are there any indications as to where it might fit in? I dont think the visor in my JFO helmet had any edge id's but it was pretty self explanatory by looking at the shape and how the tabs on the helmet lined up with the completed visor. Good luck on your project! It looks great so far!

Thanks. The visor has no tabs at all. But maybe glue to the supports. Thanks for the resin tip was not sure how many to do.

I just resined my first Mk. VI helmet. I ended up not even using the pep visor. I didn't even use all of the supports. I just did a few a round the visor opening......nothing warped.

It doesn't even look like the visor would fit with all the supports glued in place. I might end up gluing the visor in place when I am going to rondo the inside of the helmet. But for resining, you should be completely fine with just the supports.

I'm just really nervous about the warping issue. This is the first time I've ever done this, everything smooth so far don't wanna muck it up. Just theard about warping, a little gun shy I guess.

I was too.....the helmet I resined was too small for my head, so I figured I might as well see if it warped with just a few supports. It was absolutely fine.

Just use light coats of resin. That way, it won't saturate the cardstock, which is why it warps. For my first coat of resin, I did just enough to stiffen it up. Then I went back later and resined the whole thing again, which also filled in any spots I missed.

Also, do the helmet in sections. I divided mine into three.....the top dome, the back, and the front cheek area / visor. This will further reduce the probability of warping.

Thanks, maybe it will be ok. Good thing is I got the supports started...now my wife can't keep putting on the helmet:) Think it has been on her head more than mine. I can see in the future me making one for her.

Really good work so far:D You're doing one of the hardest helmet( the best Mk VI helmet) It looks awesome so far, better than my HD helmet. I could'nt figure out how to put the visor in so I left it out, and It didnt really warp at all.

Keep up the good work:)

awesome pep work there! as far as resining goes,out in your struts and than just light even coats and do it in sections (top, mid, lower) I usually go with three coats. i know it takes more time but it is well worth it to me. Also make sure you don't let the resin pool up in creases and indentions if you wanna keep the detail that is there nice and crisp. Hope to see you finish this one!

Really good work so far:D You're doing one of the hardest helmet( the best Mk VI helmet) It looks awesome so far, better than my HD helmet. I could'nt figure out how to put the visor in so I left it out, and It didnt really warp at all.

Keep up the good work:)

Thanks for the encouragement. I did the HD as my first pep ever, figured if I could get through that the rest might seem easy, and everything else that can be will be HD. Maybe wishful thinking.:D Good to know about the non warping issue.

awesome pep work there! as far as resining goes,out in your struts and than just light even coats and do it in sections (top, mid, lower) I usually go with three coats. i know it takes more time but it is well worth it to me. Also make sure you don't let the resin pool up in creases and indentions if you wanna keep the detail that is there nice and crisp. Hope to see you finish this one!

Thanks for the words. So you do 3 coats of resin. Hmm, any specific reason. How many coats of fibreglass do you do? I do fully plan on finishing this one...resin, fibreglass, bondo, paint and lights. The guys at work are pushin to see it as well, and so is my wife...so lots of push to get it done.

Thanks for the words. So you do 3 coats of resin. Hmm, any specific reason. How many coats of fibreglass do you do? I do fully plan on finishing this one...resin, fibreglass, bondo, paint and lights. The guys at work are pushin to see it as well, and so is my wife...so lots of push to get it done.

I do three coats for structure, but they are light coats which is my key. it keeps detail alot better and doesn't pool up alot like two thick coats do. as far as fiberglassing the inside goes i do one layer than rondo the inside (mixture of bondo and resin with hardener) and rotocast it inside of the helmet by hand. its a popular method used by alot of people on here for the internal structure. Need anymore help let me know through a PM and if i can help i will, the stickies are great too. Biggest thing is to just be patient< i started my warrior helmet mid october and am still working on it and I am still not happy with it 100 percent, just 95 percent lol.

Hey guys. This is the first pep anything I have ever done Peimar led. Just thought I would post and get some opinions/advice. Are things looking ok? Is the order that I have chosen to assemble gonna cause me grief down the road.

Anything you guys can offer would be great, thanks in advance,

Andrew.

IMG_2839.JPG

IMG_2840.JPG

IMG_2841.JPG

Make use of bright led lights on top to make it effective in nights

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back