First Timer : Halo Warmaster Helmat Pep Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick update
I spent the day with filler trying to correct some warped areas of the paper pep, I'm not expecting it to end up perfect as I'm using this more as a project to learn but I would like it to be half decent so I can use it plus I'm having fun with this build and it's taught me a lot so far about detail,materials,curing times and using the tools.
I will admit I did cheat a bit with the sanding by using a ryobi mouse sander and switched to sanding by hand for the thin areas.
There's still a lot to do but I'm quite pleased with the way it's going so far.
DSC_0452.JPG

Ok so I've seen a few videos and post's where people have used putty for a smooth finish I suppose anyone has had any experience with this stuff or know if it's needed?
DSC_0460.JPG

looks fantastic. just when you add resin I suggest to sand it down and apply another layer and repeat do it wont look like paper.

just a small update because its been a while since my last. So far i have used many methods to learn and get a feel of different materials also i have been having a closer look at the helmet on xbox and tried adding details using a sheet of foam. I think my next step will be making a silicone mold after i remove some final defects and the temperature rises from below freezing.

DSC_0465.JPGDSC_0467.JPGDSC_0471.JPGDSC_0474.JPGDSC_0475.JPGDSC_0493.JPGDSC_0495.JPG

I used a black gloss spray paint as it clearly shows defects under a bright light.

holy crap!!! I don't see you for a wile then this! great job can't wait to see more!

thanks locostorm sorry its been a while the injury to my left arm has really slowed me down and now the temperature is causing some issues but i will try to add more updates soon

Wow! Solid work! It really is fun to try different things, especially when it pays off. Glad you're keeping up with it!

OK, SO I have been thinking about this one for my first build ever for some time know and this thread is total motivation for me to start. I do have one question though. Is it possible to edit the file to adjust some of the lines or maybe just cut some of the section smaller so that I can alter things just a little or would that be inadvisable?

OK, SO I have been thinking about this one for my first build ever for some time know and this thread is total motivation for me to start. I do have one question though. Is it possible to edit the file to adjust some of the lines or maybe just cut some of the section smaller so that I can alter things just a little or would that be inadvisable?

I am going to be honest I am probably not the best person to ask but I think a pep starts life as a 3D model from CAD or something similar. If it's any help any extras or adjustments I wanted to make to my helmet I used a thin sheet of foam to make a shape and then added it to my build using filler to blend it in

I am going to be honest I am probably not the best person to ask but I think a pep starts life as a 3D model from CAD or something similar. If it's any help any extras or adjustments I wanted to make to my helmet I used a thin sheet of foam to make a shape and then added it to my build using filler to blend it in
That is a good thought. I was also considering just cutting the paper after printing to make adjustments, if needed. Maybe do it in standard paper first to test out before running on card stock.

Hello again everyone sorry it's been a while again but I have been having some disagreements with some silicone I got from the local hobby store I will try to post some pics but I can clearly say don't use cheap liquids and try to get it thick.

So the silicone quality wasn't great but I tried to cast a half to see if it would work, still all trial and error but this is the first half DSC_0018.JPGDSC_0019.JPGDSC_0020.JPG

Hey man that actually does not look too bad for a first cast. Working on doing the same for my basic scout helmet. Just finished covering the whole thing in silicon and putting the keys in. Just down to making the 2 part mother shell for it and then making my first full cast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back