First Timer : Halo Warmaster Helmat Pep Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

D1G1TAL GH05T

Ok so hi i guess im kinda new with this as previous posts online just left me with a pile of abuse
but was told by a friend that this site is more peaceful so i thought why not.

So like many people around the world i have always wanted to make halo armor because 1. its awesome and 2. i have been inspired by other builds made with many different materials by many different talented people so i have started to make a halo warmaster helmet (pep model by satchmo III) even though i have little experience and i do believe i have shot myself in the foot in not choosing an easier build to start with but its too late to turn back now as i have already made the pep and its just encouraged me to continue and i will understand if anyone says it looks terrible i will also probably agree and try and keep updating as much as possible .

DSC_0409.JPG

Hi !

First of all, welcome !
Secondly : no way that's your first try at it. :)
My first one looked like a garbage bin because, well, that's the ONLY thing it bare any resemblance to. It looks very good and yes, it's not the easiest one to start with.
Thirdly : I've never read any kind of abuse on this forum either, which was one of the reasons to join. From what I've seen and read so far, every single one of the ladies and gentlemen over here behaves exactly like you would expect from people worthy of those titles.

Looking forward to how this one will proceed, it's an interesting armor for sure.

Hi !

First of all, welcome !
Secondly : no way that's your first try at it. :)
My first one looked like a garbage bin because, well, that's the ONLY thing it bare any resemblance to. It looks very good and yes, it's not the easiest one to start with.
Thirdly : I've never read any kind of abuse on this forum either, which was one of the reasons to join. From what I've seen and read so far, every single one of the ladies and gentlemen over here behaves exactly like you would expect from people worthy of those titles.

Looking forward to how this one will proceed, it's an interesting armor for sure.

me too! i agree my first one was actually made of a garbage bin! but now look at me! now im not trying to brag but saying that you can "just do it" just look at this!

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=46665&p=750612#post750612

From the angle you gave us your pep looks great! Welcome to the 405th!! Don't forget to introduce yourself and do an avatar and all that. You'll find everything to get you started in the new recruit sticky here. Good luck with the rest.

Thankyou all for your supportive response and yes this is indeed my first pep build. My interest in halo armor began year's ago around the time of halo 3 where I decided to build a mk VI and cyberman from doctor who. I worked on both of those projects at the same time only having hot glue,cardboard, a pair of scissors and some pictures. I started building the helmets first and although not perfect they did look kind of decent so I posted them on YouTube, bebo and my space only to have a high level of criticism and abuse of other users. After that I believed that I didn't have the ability to make anything decent so I scrapped the project and anything else I made from then on was small and I kept to myself until about 3 years ago when I desperately wanted my own ghostbusters proton pack which took me about 4 months to make. Once again I posted my progress and finished product on Facebook and YouTube and although I did get some positive response I had a steaming pile of harsh abuse. It was only recently I was talking to 2 of my friends about the proton pack I made over a game of halo and after sending them videos and pictures they were fascinated by my creation and spent hours trying to convince me not to give up and be put off by what other people think. It was then that one of them suggested I make helmets based on our halo characters (warmaster,pathfinder, mk V) and told me about this website full of friendly people so I thought why not and so here I am and I can't believe the support I have been getting

Re: First Timer : Halo Warmaster Helmet Pep Build

Also I do apologise for any bad spelling as I am using my phone to post and it gives me the smallest box ever to view what I have wrote

That's quite a story. I apologize on behalf of the internet for people's insensitivity. I think you're only problem was posting on YouTube. Lol. That place is a den of trolls. In all seriousness, we are not messing with you. Your work so far is great. Feel free to ask questions as you go along to make sure that your work continues to be great! Don't forget to look into stuff before asking though. Lots of the answers are already on the site. :)

DSC_0401.JPGDSC_0402.JPGDSC_0403.JPGDSC_0405.JPGDSC_0408.JPGDSC_0410.JPGDSC_0411.JPG

Ok so here's some more pictures of the pep build.
I used standard paper,pritt stick and a crafting knife.
Although I am happy with the build I do wish I had used card instead of paper as it is quite flimsy but today I have sprayed it with an adhesive and put the fibreglass on so hopefully it will turn out ok and I will post more pictures once it's solid

You may get your wish of using cardstock. Chances are that the regular paper won't hold up to any sort of hardening and will warp and collapse on you. Not to worry though. You've done two things worth doing. One is you can see if you sized the helmet right. (Many people do two or three peps of the helmet before they get the size right) The second is practice assembling a pepakura and assembling it well. Now if you make one out of cardstock you know you're going to do great! Keep us posted!

... ditto.
One of the first builds I did was done on normal printer paper. That's the one that disintegrated, as the paper just couldn't cope with the later stages of the build.

Afaik, rule number one is "get cardstock paper". Normal paper will warp, buckle and deform. I hope you'll prove me wrong, but from what I've learned myself and read from other people, starting out with normal paper is not a good idea. But as Duke correctly points out, the build experience you've gained with normal paper will serve you for all projects afterwards.

finished with the fiber glass and im quite surprised that the whole thing hasn't collapsed so i am guessing the adhesive spray has worked although i have picked up a dent on the back of the head and the visor has warped as shown in the picture but i have been able to correct that by re-printing the visor this time on card and i used my dremel to cut the old one out and filled the dent on the head with wall filler as i had some lying around and its easy to sand

DSC_0420.JPGDSC_0422.JPGDSC_0418.JPGDSC_0431.JPGDSC_0430.JPG

p.s my work on the helmet for the next few weeks will be quite slow as i am suffering from an injury to my left arm so updates will be slow as well but i will try my best to progress with the project

So i know bondo is a commonly used brand for these projects but i don't think its available at all in the UK so i have searched the web for the next best thing and found one that i was able to get from a local halfords and it also had the highest positive feedback, I have put a coat on the top of the helmet and will soon see how it sands.
I know it looks a bit messy but my injury has restricted the use of my left arm which did make it quite difficult to get right but i suppose with the use of both hands the filler would be easy to apply and handle.

DSC_0433.JPGDSC_0434.JPG

i suppose with the use of both hands the filler would be easy to apply and handle.

Well, you'd be wrong. It's a messy challenge to apply the stuff no matter how many good arms you have! :p
Just remember as thin of coats as you can. You don't even need to apply it to spots that don't need shaping (ie. already detailed).

Also, since you've got the challenge with your arm save yourself sanding and get as much done before the bondo dries as you can. Just before the body filler hardens, it is still a little pliable but not so much that it can be moved.... grab a thin blade like a razor blade and you can sort of shave or saw off the filler that is sticking up and cut along your edges to keep them clean. Nice work so far!

I feel this has some relevance to this build because if I didn't show my friends this they wouldn't have convinced me to keep crafting
_20160128_100618.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back