Fitst Attempt At Armor Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Putting the two parts together is easy enough. just hot glue some straps with adjustable length and buckle(or snaps) on the ends. This way you can adjust them to fit together nicely and to fit you. Don't forget to use some foam padding to make sure the armor fits and isn't bouncing around.

On the sizing part, it looks like your chest piece is just a wee bit too big. I'm not an expert on sizing, though. My first helmet made me look like a bobble head and I still haven't been able to size my chestpiece. I keep getting something that maybe an eight-year-old could wear :unsure

Thanks for the fast reply! So you cut the chest at the very top on both sides, but where to cut on the bottom?

Thanks

andrewstrand

Andrewstrand,

Look through others WIP's and see where they cut their armor at. You typically cut it where I marked on your picture. Give or take a little. You just want to cut it where the lines are consealed the best when put back together.

I do think your chest armor is a little big, judging by the picture. When you put it on did it feel big? If so then scale it down a little.

the problem with guys like us is we have bigger chests then the typical scaling is good for.

My two cents.

~James

[attachment=13086:post-18576-125673886556_thumb.jpg]

P.S. your helmet looks great. Good scale

The armor is a little wide in the front, but sitting on the shoulder by my head its a little snug. Being that it isnt too much bigger than what it should be, i might just leave it? But i dont know yet...

Thanks!

andrewstrand

I would agree with the sizing sentiments above. It looks a little big. For most people, if it's sized correctly, you shouldn't be able to fit your head through the neck hole if the torso is still in one piece. If you want to be able to try on the armor while it's still just card stock, I'd suggest not gluing the sections that James had indicated as if you had already cut them and just temporarily hold it all together with tape.

Other than the sizing issues (which everyone runs into), you've got a great start. Welcome to the 405th!

Look at some reference pictures for where to cut it. The real Spartan armor does have seams where it fits over him. Also, just a reminder, it is a chest armor, not torso armor. It should end with your rib cage. Othat than scale it looks fantastic though! :D

I need some input.....

I am thinking of redoing my helmet.....I used the default scale from robo of 86. Im only 5'10, so the helmet should be way to big for. When test fitting, its a little snug to put on by the ears, but then is really loose once it is on my head. Let me know what your opinions are. I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

andrewstrand

I ended up having to take reference pics and then measure the same area on myself for plus a little to ensure the raised part was right. Then you just convert from inches to millimeters and it pans out from there. the helmet was a bit more tricky. I added an inch (Approximately 26mm) to the normal size for my second one and it works nicely.

so......in a bery noob move... i realized i didnt use enough hardener on the resin.....so, should i let that get sticky, and then fix the correct amount, and reapply? Any help is greatly appreicated.

Thanks

This weekend, i decided to take my oversized helmet and play around with the fiberglassing/bondo. I think it came out looking pretty nice. For the fiberglass, i cut small strips of the cloth and then sprayed the inside of the helmet with spray adhesive, then mixed up about 4 oz of resin, then poured all of it directly into the helmet and sloshed it around until there wasnt any left. I then mixed up some more and poured that in. I think it took about 12 oz of resin to coat the entire helmet. I left it cure, and then moved to the bondo.

That being said, i had a thought about the smoothing of the bondo.... Could you just leave all the pits and inperfections of the bondo to make it look like battle damage? I might try and play around with that.... Let me know your thoughts on the fb/resin technique and the bondo idea?

Thanks

Looks good so far. I recently finished a suit made entirely from RoboGenesis' pieces and you're doing a good job so far. Yes, I'd scale the chest down a little, but I too had an issue where there was a bit of a gap between my chest and the 'pecs' on the armour, what can we say? We're just not built like Spartans XD

The hardest parts are easily the helmet and chest piece, now those are done you should find the resta doddle. Good job so far, keep it up :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back