Fleece For Resin

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok I've done this before when building a custom speaker box for a car just wondering if you guys thought this would be a good idea for a substitution for fiber mat.

Fleece is a fabric you can get at Walmart or most fabric shops such as Jo Ann Fabrics.

This is going to be hard for me to explain since I dont know how to add pictures into my posts yet but im going to give it my best try.

When building a custom fiberglass speakerbox you usually build a frame consisting of a base 2 sides and a back then staple fleece to the open area and coat that with fiberglass resin making sure to basically soak it causing the fleece to act as a fiber mat but only thicker and usually when this is done they add more then one coat finish with bondo and prime paint etc...

If anyone has any experience in this, im wondering if you could cut the fleece in strips and dip it in the resin and apply to the inside of our armour causing it to stick and harden to the inside thus making it maybe just a little bit stronger and a lot cheaper.

Fleece sucks up a lot of resin and is not as strong as fiberglass(and will weigh more). Fleece is great for defining compound curves over large spans but fiberglass mat is better suited to strengthening armor, IMO.

People who build sub enclosures with it always back up the fleece with fiberglass for strength anyway. Unless they're hacks :)

rube said:
Fleece sucks up a lot of resin and is not as strong as fiberglass(and will weigh more). Fleece is great for defining compound curves over large spans but fiberglass mat is better suited to strengthening armor, IMO.

People who build sub enclosures with it always back up the fleece with fiberglass for strength anyway. Unless they're hacks :)

true...not really familiar with the term hacks but i do agree with all that you have said...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd imagine this would be unreasonably hot in addition to it's weaker structure.

Is 6$/ 9ft^2 really THAT expensive for glass cloth?

Somewhere on here, I had read that someone was considering cutting old tshirts into strips, and using that instead of fiberglass.

Anyone try this? Does it hold any water? (I don't mean does it "physically" hold water... does the theory hold proverbial water... :) )

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back