Foam build, but with plastic sheets

Discussion in 'Halo Costumes and Armor' started by Pescadero, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Dirtdives

Dirtdives Keeper of Con Lists Community Staff

31124a6e01ca596863cbad15b43f1ece--so-funny-funny-stuff.jpg Reaching for the wallet.......so close........

Pescadero This is definitely a unique building material. How does it take paints? Great job so far!!!

Pescadero and Lieutenant Jaku like this.
  2. Pescadero

Pescadero New Member

Thank you ☺️

I use normal spraypaint. Sometimes it peels off a little but I spray silver before normal paint,. So it looks more battle damaged.
    A friend said I have to dry every layer longer. I will try this...

Lieutenant Jaku and Dirtdives like this.
  3. Dirtdives

You might try sanding the pieces down a bit before painting......it will hold the paint better. Plastic sometimes has a sheen to it that prevents full adhesion.

4. TurboCharizard

TurboCharizard RMO & BCO 405th Regiment Officer Community Staff

Your friend may be super smart, I don't know him/her but I'd put more value into the instructions on the side of the can written by the people that mixed up the paint and chemical concoction. A lot of sprays have a listed temperature and humidity range for application as well as layer and recoat times which all works together to help the paint properly cure and bond to the material you're applying it to. Like Dirtdives said, rough up the surface with a Scotchbrite pad or very fine sandpaper to help with base coat adhesion and then thin coats to build up the colour.

Many sprays for plastics like Krylon are formulated to work best between 15°C and 30°C with low to moderate humidity below 30% and working outside these temperatures will change cure times. Hotter and dryer in summer? Quicker set up! Colder and damp in the winter, lol what is curing?

Between coat times are also important because it's the difference between the paint being a tacky surface and a fully hardened surface shell. If you're hitting the times right for applications of the same colour you'll get one thicker and consistent layer of colour, if you wait too long you run the risk of getting many thin layers that can chip and flake off easily. Most paints for plastics are 10 to 15 minutes between layers but always double check, one of the paints I was using this week was only one minute suggested.

Once you work with paints and get used to your environment you can start figuring out your fudge factor for adjusting times, I live in what used to be labelled as "temperate rainforest" so humidity is a big factor and if I want to keep parts having smooth paint coats I need to work inside and keep air moving with fans so that bubbles don't appear and create an orange peel surface. Other times like this last week with an average afternoon temperature of 32°C and evenings hovering around 20°C has meant that between coat times have been shortened by five minutes or so because it's "the Canadians are melting" hot out.

PAINT
    SCIENCE
    PAINT

5. Dirtdives

giphy.gif PAINT, SCIENCE, PAINT, SLEEP.........

6. TurboCharizard

TurboCharizard RMO & BCO 405th Regiment Officer Community Staff

I'm not familiar with that last one. Is it a form of thermoplastic?

7. Dirtdives

It's a form of thermo-unconsciousness.

8. Pescadero

Pescadero New Member

Have I do this every layer or is per colour enough?

Lieutenant Jaku likes this.
  9. Dirtdives

You could sand each layer of paint or just the last one, but sanding the base plastic is key.

10. Pescadero

Pescadero New Member

Really really interesting point! I think I do it that way. It saves time. 12 hours between every layer is a long time (thats what my friend said) and I don't have enough space to paint all parts together.

TurboCharizard likes this.
  11. Pescadero

Pescadero New Member

I did right tigh armor with a holster. I will secure the Magnum with a strap and velcro.

IMG_20180718_002913.jpg IMG_20180718_111124.jpg

And I finished the second knee . Thats only chest plate and Helmet left.
    But now short break because I'm gonna rock at open air festival next days :D
    I'll continue next week.
    Hope I can finish this thing till 04. August. I want to wear that armor at this event soooo much:lol:

12. Pescadero

Pescadero New Member

Let's put some paint on it...

After sanding and primer I spray a layer silver on it. And in some edges a little bit tooth paste to similuate battle damage later.

IMG_20180717_143900.jpg IMG_20180717_143910.jpg

After dry time I spray some layers anthrazite/ dark grey color on it. And some red markings...

IMG_20180719_142146.jpg IMG_20180719_142157.jpg

I used a rough sponge and smooth sand paper to remove tooth paste and colour on the edges and give it a more matt look.
    After that some black wash.
    I like how it came out. It has a light metallic shine.

IMG_20180719_142252.jpg

13. PaiganBoi

PaiganBoi Sr Member

Colours are looking good. We need to see some test fitting!!

Dirtdives likes this.
  14. Pescadero

Pescadero New Member

Thanks...
    I try what I can do tomorrow or Thursday

PaiganBoi and Dirtdives like this.
  15. Pescadero

Pescadero New Member

Finished today my helmet with Eva...

This is how I did it:

IMG_20180723_143023.jpg IMG_20180723_154339.jpg IMG_20180723_154329.jpg IMG_20180724_193506.jpg IMG_20180724_193545.jpg

I just followed Andrew DFTs tutorials and templates.

IMG_20180724_203241.jpg

16. PerniciousDuke

PerniciousDuke RXO & BCO 405th Regiment Officer Community Staff

I really like your plastic technique. It ends up looking molded like a lot of storm trooper suits.

For the paint... did anyone mention primer? Most paints don't like to stick to anything besides other paints. Primer is like a buffer. It sticks well to most things and then the paint will like to stick to the primer. With most spraypaints I only wait like 30 minutes between layers on a warm day, two hours on a colder day and I avoid painting on humid days.

Pescadero and Dirtdives like this.
  17. Pescadero

Pescadero New Member

Didn't I mentioned primer?....;)
    You always have to spray primer. Your paint Methode sounds good. That's what I did here.

Dirtdives and PerniciousDuke like this.
  18. Pescadero

Pescadero New Member

Last parts finished...
    IMG_20180725_173444.jpg IMG_20180725_183228.jpg
    I did 2 layers and the backplate.

Some work with Dremel....
    IMG_20180725_192817.jpg

And some pieces to give some distance to chestplate.
    IMG_20180729_170957.jpg IMG_20180729_183837.jpg

Lieutenant Jaku likes this.
  19. Pescadero

Pescadero New Member

Ohhhh and I forgot to post fully painted set:
    IMG_20180803_114531.jpg

And I forgot to mention how I did visor. I got cheap transparent plastic sheet, cut them together and put tinted foil for car windows on it.
    I never do this again! It was hell! I used hot glue but that didn't hold parts on position. And the foil... Well, it sticked on all, table, fingers,... But not the plastic!
    At the end I camouflaged it as battle damaged.I had no time to think about other solution.
    IMG_20180803_151433.jpg

I think I will order vacuum formed visor:D

20. Pescadero

Pescadero New Member

Some pictures of an event last weekend . First time I wear this armor...

IMG_20180805_150729.jpg IMG_20180808_172313.jpg IMG_20180808_172359.jpg

Now I know what to change...
    I glued all straps with hot glue. And it was really really hot t that day....
    Ok, I did it because to change it later if it doesn't fit. But one piece after the other fell down

And I don't like the leg and belly armor! I think I will change it to Halo 3 or 4 armor.
    The upper body is great. Thats what I want to keep but the other piece...

One more pics with some friends, the almighty samurai

IMG_20180804_150648.jpg

IMG_20180805_150729.jpg

IMG_20180808_172313.jpg

IMG_20180808_172359.jpg

IMG_20180804_150648.jpg

21. Lieutenant Jaku

Lieutenant Jaku Well-Known Member

Pescadero the ab plate looks a bit loose in the last picture

Pescadero likes this.
  22. Begocer

Begocer Member

Maximum crotch protection is what that is!

Great work on the suit! Love the Boomco repaint too!

Pescadero likes this.
  23. Liamthedevastator

Liamthedevastator Well-Known Member

Great work! I'm very impressed with the outcome. My favourite part is the shoulders; you achieved excellent definition on those.

Pescadero likes this.
  24. Pescadero

Pescadero New Member

Thank you, guys

Jep I like the shoulders too. Better than I thought they will be.

25. Pescadero

Pescadero New Member

Thats right. That what I want to change.
    The problem is if I really change version the upper torso armor is different, right?

I have to think about that....
    Perhaps I keep the version but I wear a tactical vest under that and velcro armor on it.