Foam dust

Status
Not open for further replies.

blubber616

Hello, I have been experiencing some troubles with making my own props or costumes.

Whenever I go downstairs, black dust appears in my hair afterwards. Can foam dust from a rotary tool create the dust that's found in my hair? If this is the case, how do I get rid of it? I've already vacuumed the air by waving my extension hose around my workplace.

Also, I've been wearing a small doctor's mask to protect my lungs. Does that work or do I have to buy a respirator? If so which respirator is the one you would recommend?

Thanks!

Hello, I have been experiencing some troubles with making my own props or costumes.

Whenever I go downstairs, black dust appears in my hair afterwards. Can foam dust from a rotary tool create the dust that's found in my hair? If this is the case, how do I get rid of it? I've already vacuumed the air by waving my extension hose around my workplace.

Also, I've been wearing a small doctor's mask to protect my lungs. Does that work or do I have to buy a respirator? If so which respirator is the one you would recommend?

Thanks!

A doctors mask probably isn't enough as that doesn't filter out any dust, you would need to get a respirator, I am unsure what type you would need but a doctors mask isn't going to protect you very much.

I use a 3M brand that filters paint fumes. You can pic them up for around $20 at a hardware store. As for cleaning the air if you have a window in the room place a fan in the window facing out and leave the door to the room open.

To get ride of the dust try putting the vacuum on and close to were your using the rotary tool (wean you are using it) to try to get ride of most of the dust before it get into the air

When in doubt, check the filter's technical specifications. Most major brands cover what size particulate that it can filter and what substances it can filter out.
If you have a mask that can handle sawdust, you'll likely be fine. That said, if you're going to be using any paint, you may as well buy a respirator rated for chemical (I like the 3M one),

They do make tables specifically to vacuum up dust particles. It's fairly simple to make one for yourself as if you are going to be working indoors in a confined space, it would be a healthy choice. It's almost as if you were to build a vacuum forming table......just w/ out the cover. For the simplest explanation: It's a thin box w/ a peg-board top (small holes) that is attached to a shop vac (or regular vacuum). You turn on the vacuum while you sand/dremmel your pieces right over it. The majority of the dust is collected/sucked safely and your clean up is minimized. As for dust in your hair......either a hat or showercap.......stupid looking; Yes. dust in your hair; No. But it's your choice. And I agree w/ everyone else.......a 3M dust filtering mask is the way to go.

long term respirator $35:

short term respirator $5-10:

Good luck!

I also like the idea of running the vacuum while you're sanding/grinding if you are doing it indoors. But be careful, if your vacuum filter doesn't get cleaned/changed regularly you'll just be throwing the particles higher up in the air.

cheap 20" box fan
place a paper 20x20x1 house furnace/AC filter on the intake side
run it on Low, generally nearby where you generate dust

Not so annoyingly loud as running a vacuum.
Worked great when I had to sand drywall patching & paint. You can see when it gets full of stuff.
This is only for DUST management, not chem fumes

Great idea Bimbie but how much suction can you get out of a low running fan w/ a filter on it. You will catch the small particles of that I have no doubt, but some of the particles that get spit out have velocity on their side from the sanding tool. You might not catch enough. Have you used this method? Only reason I ask is because I have an outdoor workshop and if there ever come a time that I can't work out there due to weather.....I can't work. As I said, this is a great idea and it might come in handy for myself.

So if I buy the respirator Bill Doran recommends on his website, how long does each filter last? How effective is the respirator (does it block all the dust from entering your lungs or will it only block half?)

Please answer

Thanks to all the people who helped!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back