[FOAM] [GUIDE] List of Options for Supplies, Tools, and Methods Used for Foam Builds

Discussion in 'Halo Costumes and Armor' started by WandererTJ, Jul 30, 2014.

1. WandererTJ

WandererTJ 405th Regiment Officer

Re: [FOAM] [GUIDE] List of Options for Supplies, Tools, and Methods Used for Foam Bui

While Drake posted this here, he also followed it up by sending me a message with his results...
    Which can be seen here:
    I would absolutely love to!
    But unfortunately, I haven't made it that far with my own build, so anything I add would be 3rd hand experience, and I don't want to say something and it cause issues with anyone's build. I do however always welcome others to pitch in and share their experiences in this thread along with the products they use.

I had previously recommended using Mustard as an option for a substance to use between layers of paint for the weathering technique in which you chip off the section of paint that had a temporary layer of a particular substance (in that case, mustard) to reveal the layer of paint below.
    Unfortunately, what I did not know, was that the individual wanted to paint their spartan white, and that mustard could stain the white and leave some yellowing in the paint.

Frozensnot likes this.
  2. Corweena

Corweena Jr Member

Re: [FOAM] [GUIDE] List of Options for Supplies, Tools, and Methods Used for Foam Bui

I've successfully used toothpaste as a masking medium wheb i repainted my Disguise MC helmet, as well as some foam test sections I'be painted. I first tried mustard, but found the consistency was a little too runny for my taste...and yes it can stain. I went and bought the cheapest white toothpaste I could find, and really liked the results. Besides being thicker, it doesn't stain, and smells good to boot.

3. Ashuraa

Ashuraa Judicial Officer Division Staff 405th Regiment Officer

Using the Envirotex pour on lite resin,
    I have used it now on several pieces of armor. IF you are patient, and have good warm weather it is a good product. IT will take several days of dry weather between coats.

I suggest doing only very thin layers to keep air bubbles out of it, and to not washout/ flood out your find details because it will fill in spaces and gaps. You can use it directly on the foam as both a sealer and a hardener. Between coats you will need to sand it with 200 and then 300 grit sand paper to make the smoothest least drippy looking appearance. If you do so it will be a high gloss smooth surface. The one helmet that I did was a stormtrooper helmet. It was so smooth that it felt wet, even though the surface was dry.

If your armor gets cold, and you have paint on it, and it drops, the painted surface of the armor will chip off of the resin due to the paint having no real surface to adhere to. A spray paint might hold to it better. One possible workaround is to use the Envirotex, then paint, then do a final layer or two of the envirotex.

I would not use this product for all applications, it really depends on the look you are attempting to generate.

4. grifandsargert

grifandsargert Jr Member

i have one foam peices that have vary little texture on one side should I remove it or let it stay and if I remove it how is the best way to do so?

5. James209

James209 New Member

Hey I'm new to the site and this year I decided to build my own Halo armor (I haven't yet) I was just wondering how do I paint my armor (hopefully as cheap as possible) with out dissolving the foam and how do I water proof the armor I need to for filming. Where can I find templates that aren't pepakura that I can use to shape my foam if I could get a response as fast as possible thank you.

6. FatherDamien CO

FatherDamien CO

Plasti-Dip

You're local Ace Hardware or www.acehardware.com

11 oz Spray cans $8.99 (West coast)
    Colors:
    Smoke
    White
    Blue
    Red
    Black
    Gray
    Black Cherry
    Clear
    Camo in both Tan/Brown and Green/Black

Blaze (Vibrant Colors) 11oz Spray Cans $9.99 (West Coast)
    Colors:
    Blue
    Green
    Yellow
    Pink
    Purple
    Orange

14.5 oz Brush On Can $9.49 (West Coast)
    Colors:
    Black
    Blue
    Yellow
    Red
    Clear

22oz Bush On Can $13.99 (West Coast)
    Color:
    Black

22oz Color Kit $22.99 (West Coast)
    Comes with pigments to make your own colors:
    Red
    Yellow
    Blue
    White
    Black

Gallon Can Sprayable or Brushable $74.99 (West Coast)
    Colors:
    Blue
    Red
    Black
    Green
    White
    Fluorescent Green
    Gunmetal Gray
    Orange

11oz Spray Primer $12.99 (West Coast)

Metalizer 11oz $8.99 (West Coast)
    Colors:
    Blue
    Violet
    Copper
    Green
    Red

Pearlizier 11oz Spray $8.99 (West Coast)

7. Caboose76

Caboose76 New Member

hey do make the armour should we buy the eva foam in different colors

8. ZP180

ZP180

I see this is your first post, so welcome.

As for buying foam in different colors, because you will likely want to paint your foam armour, you do not need to worry about the color of foam you purchase. If you buy puzzle mats, I would suggest buying mats that have a least one side without a texture on them to make things easier when you need a smooth surface.

9. Ashuraa

Ashuraa Judicial Officer Division Staff 405th Regiment Officer

Here is a chart of what adhesives typically are best with what material matchups. Makezine.com is the origional poster of it.

adhesive_chart_big.png

Jme likes this.
  10. Corweena

Corweena Jr Member

Just figured I'd post this up here to show you guys.

I started up working on my foam armor again. Anyways, I realized I had been using multi-temp glue instead of high-temp. Since I'm pretty much making all of my existing pieces again, I didn't want to risk using mulit-temp stuff again, on the off chance the armor ever has to sit or be worn in hot weather. So, in shopping for high temp glue, I came across this stuff.....Surebonder Acrylstik. Its basically a high performance hi-temp acrylic hot glue. It has a longer work and set time, and a much more flexible bond. Its the same price as regular high-temp stuff to.
    41K7kmh76dL.jpg

I just tested it out, and sure enough it worked as described. Took about twice as long to set, but once dry, remained VERY flexible. When my foam test pieces were bent, the Acrylstik rebounded to the original shape, where as the regular hot glue did not.

I'll definitely be switching over to using this stuff. Just figured I share.

Attached Files:

TurboCharizard likes this.
  11. Athear

Athear New Member

Since I'm using mac I don't believe I can use the PApakura reader so is there any alternate files I can use to Print out Templates for the Reach HP/Halo armour.

12. mike bike

mike bike

I am planing to make a foam gravity hammer. Would hot glue work or should i go with contact cement for a more sturdy connection?

13. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

Either work very well.

mike bike likes this.
  14. Distemper

Distemper

Thank you for all of this wonderful information. You did an excellent and extensive job on this. My only suggestion would be to add barge cement to the list of adhesives. I know it is not available in all countries but I have found it to be great for EVA foam and has a high tolerance to heat and cold so it will not fall apart easily. It is the same stuff they use on allot of shoes.

15. EndlessForrest

EndlessForrest

This was Helpful Thanks!