[FOAM] [GUIDE] List of Options for Supplies, Tools, and Methods Used for Foam Builds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: [FOAM] [GUIDE] List of Options for Supplies, Tools, and Methods Used for Foam Bui

First, I would like to say that I've decided that this thread will be the first of many in a series of Resource Threads / Guilds for Supplies for our costumes.
The 2nd one is: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=44624 which deals with miscellaneous Undersuit components that most of us usually end up buying rather than making.

I plan on making ones for Buckles & Strapping as well as for Lighting/LEDs eventually.

Also, while I'm sure some of this stuff can be ordered using the links from non-U.S. countries, I think it would be great if someone was interested in starting duplicate threads for products in other countries.
Either way, this thread is still here to serve at least to give ideas to the products that are out there, while you might not be able to buy it from the same store in Europe, at least you know the name of the product.

In other news: Found a few new things to eventually be added to the OP:
Dremel Carving/Engraving Mini Accessory Kit
Walmart: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dremel-Carving-Engraving-Mini-Accessory-Kit-689-03/28508911
Price: $15.97

Rotary Tool Kit 80 Pc
Harbor Freight Tools: http://www.harborfreight.com/80-piece-rotary-tool-kit-97626.html
Price $9.99

Both of the two above seem to come with the same small carving/engraving pieces for Dremels/Rotary Tools, since I already had a Dremel and didn't need a 2nd Rotary Tool, I went ahead and spent the extra $5 to try out the Kit from Walmart. I already had a few of the bits with the general Dremel Tool set I already had, but it is nice to have a few new pieces and I've definitely been using them. The engraving bits aren't the best though, they aren't giving me the best results with the pieces I'm testing them with, the carving tools I'm using to sand the foam with are working great though and the small bits I didn't previously have are a definite help!

Re: [FOAM] [GUIDE] List of Options for Supplies, Tools, and Methods Used for Foam Bui

FANGS, Ashuraa, any chance we could get this thread Stickied?

Last edited by a moderator:

Toss my vote in go get this stickied as well... lots of good info here, Wanderer TJ!

Noticed some foam at Walmart yesterday, couldn't find the price for it though. Was no where to be found. Didn't need foam at the time, so unfortunately I didn't find out the price.
Looked like it was 1/2'' sheets of 2'x2' in a package of 6.

OP has been slightly updated and cleaned up.

I bought my foam from Walmart and the price tag was also non-existant. The details of mine were as such:

Brand: Gold's Gym
Product Name: High Impact Flooring
Foam Thickness: 1/2 inch
Foam Sheet Dimentions: 2 foot long by 2 foot wide
Foam Sheet Amount: 6 per package
Sheet Pattern: Large diamond-ish pattern
Price: I paid 20 dollars for mine, but the website claims it was only on sale for that price, and that normal price was higher.
Link: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-6-Piece-Puzzle-Mat/43524147

I bought the exact same material via Amazon for $17 per 6 2'*2' sheets. But that too was on sale. I haven't seen a better price since.

So when dealing with thicker foams, how does one, a female specifically, compensate for things such as shorter torso, or larger bust size to waist ratio? I understand manipulating the files themselves, but I still find myself not being able to get a good fit. Things are either to big, to tight, or floating. Any pointers I can use?

Hey Wanderer, for the Polyurethane in Surfacing / "Hardening"..... I have been experimenting with SikaBond - TechGrip, High Strength Multipurpose Polyurethane Glue. Bought it at Bunnings and it's about $7 for 125g bottle. So far my Noble 6 UA/Counter Assault Ab attachment is pretty well much done being reinforced with the stuff. It foams a little when cured and if you keep the layers fairly even in coverage, it gives a pretty good finish. I have been using it with the Pep Section and am pretty happy with the results. It IS a little time consuming to use, because it takes about 20 mins before it slows down. Straight from the bottle it is like good honey in consistency and you can layer it over the parts and it will find its own natural level. Which is good, because if you apply it just thick enough, it will smooth itself out and minimize how much finishing work needs to be done. I have trialed it on the foam sections of my build and it seems to love the porosity of the foam.

Note though...it does harden. Pretty damn well too! I haven't gotten through enough coverage of the foam to see what effect it has on the overall flexibility, but if you leave flex points between sections to allow movement, I believe it will hold up pretty good.

Please fogive my english is not good,This list seems i need someone help me to teanslate.

This thread is awesome! I've scavenged many YouTube videos trying to find the information you've posted about sealing and painting and you described it all so well.

If I may, could you fill in some more info about the sealers and paints? You have a lot of red text "to be added" in those areas.

Thanks!~

While Drake posted this here, he also followed it up by sending me a message with his results...
Hey Wanderer, for the Polyurethane in Surfacing / "Hardening"..... I have been experimenting with SikaBond - TechGrip, High Strength Multipurpose Polyurethane Glue. Bought it at Bunnings and it's about $7 for 125g bottle. So far my Noble 6 UA/Counter Assault Ab attachment is pretty well much done being reinforced with the stuff. It foams a little when cured and if you keep the layers fairly even in coverage, it gives a pretty good finish. I have been using it with the Pep Section and am pretty happy with the results. It IS a little time consuming to use, because it takes about 20 mins before it slows down. Straight from the bottle it is like good honey in consistency and you can layer it over the parts and it will find its own natural level. Which is good, because if you apply it just thick enough, it will smooth itself out and minimize how much finishing work needs to be done. I have trialed it on the foam sections of my build and it seems to love the porosity of the foam.

Note though...it does harden. Pretty damn well too! I haven't gotten through enough coverage of the foam to see what effect it has on the overall flexibility, but if you leave flex points between sections to allow movement, I believe it will hold up pretty good.

Which can be seen here:
This thread is awesome! I've scavenged many YouTube videos trying to find the information you've posted about sealing and painting and you described it all so well.

If I may, could you fill in some more info about the sealers and paints? You have a lot of red text "to be added" in those areas.

Thanks!~

I would absolutely love to!
But unfortunately, I haven't made it that far with my own build, so anything I add would be 3rd hand experience, and I don't want to say something and it cause issues with anyone's build. I do however always welcome others to pitch in and share their experiences in this thread along with the products they use.

I had previously recommended using Mustard as an option for a substance to use between layers of paint for the weathering technique in which you chip off the section of paint that had a temporary layer of a particular substance (in that case, mustard) to reveal the layer of paint below.
Unfortunately, what I did not know, was that the individual wanted to paint their spartan white, and that mustard could stain the white and leave some yellowing in the paint.

I've successfully used toothpaste as a masking medium wheb i repainted my Disguise MC helmet, as well as some foam test sections I'be painted. I first tried mustard, but found the consistency was a little too runny for my taste...and yes it can stain. I went and bought the cheapest white toothpaste I could find, and really liked the results. Besides being thicker, it doesn't stain, and smells good to boot.

Using the Envirotex pour on lite resin,
I have used it now on several pieces of armor. IF you are patient, and have good warm weather it is a good product. IT will take several days of dry weather between coats.

I suggest doing only very thin layers to keep air bubbles out of it, and to not washout/ flood out your find details because it will fill in spaces and gaps. You can use it directly on the foam as both a sealer and a hardener. Between coats you will need to sand it with 200 and then 300 grit sand paper to make the smoothest least drippy looking appearance. If you do so it will be a high gloss smooth surface. The one helmet that I did was a stormtrooper helmet. It was so smooth that it felt wet, even though the surface was dry.

If your armor gets cold, and you have paint on it, and it drops, the painted surface of the armor will chip off of the resin due to the paint having no real surface to adhere to. A spray paint might hold to it better. One possible workaround is to use the Envirotex, then paint, then do a final layer or two of the envirotex.

I would not use this product for all applications, it really depends on the look you are attempting to generate.

i have one foam peices that have vary little texture on one side should I remove it or let it stay and if I remove it how is the best way to do so?

Hey I'm new to the site and this year I decided to build my own Halo armor (I haven't yet) I was just wondering how do I paint my armor (hopefully as cheap as possible) with out dissolving the foam and how do I water proof the armor I need to for filming. Where can I find templates that aren't pepakura that I can use to shape my foam if I could get a response as fast as possible thank you.

Plasti-Dip

You're local Ace Hardware or www.acehardware.com

11 oz Spray cans $8.99 (West coast)
Colors:
Smoke
White
Blue
Red
Black
Gray
Black Cherry
Clear
Camo in both Tan/Brown and Green/Black

Blaze (Vibrant Colors) 11oz Spray Cans $9.99 (West Coast)
Colors:
Blue
Green
Yellow
Pink
Purple
Orange

14.5 oz Brush On Can $9.49 (West Coast)
Colors:
Black
Blue
Yellow
Red
Clear

22oz Bush On Can $13.99 (West Coast)
Color:
Black

22oz Color Kit $22.99 (West Coast)
Comes with pigments to make your own colors:
Red
Yellow
Blue
White
Black

Gallon Can Sprayable or Brushable $74.99 (West Coast)
Colors:
Blue
Red
Black
Green
White
Fluorescent Green
Gunmetal Gray
Orange

11oz Spray Primer $12.99 (West Coast)

Metalizer 11oz $8.99 (West Coast)
Colors:
Blue
Violet
Copper
Green
Red

Pearlizier 11oz Spray $8.99 (West Coast)

hey do make the armour should we buy the eva foam in different colors

hey do make the armour should we buy the eva foam in different colors

I see this is your first post, so welcome.

As for buying foam in different colors, because you will likely want to paint your foam armour, you do not need to worry about the color of foam you purchase. If you buy puzzle mats, I would suggest buying mats that have a least one side without a texture on them to make things easier when you need a smooth surface.

Here is a chart of what adhesives typically are best with what material matchups. Makezine.com is the origional poster of it.

adhesive_chart_big.png

Reactions: Jme

Just figured I'd post this up here to show you guys.

I started up working on my foam armor again. Anyways, I realized I had been using multi-temp glue instead of high-temp. Since I'm pretty much making all of my existing pieces again, I didn't want to risk using mulit-temp stuff again, on the off chance the armor ever has to sit or be worn in hot weather. So, in shopping for high temp glue, I came across this stuff.....Surebonder Acrylstik. Its basically a high performance hi-temp acrylic hot glue. It has a longer work and set time, and a much more flexible bond. Its the same price as regular high-temp stuff to.
41K7kmh76dL.jpg

I just tested it out, and sure enough it worked as described. Took about twice as long to set, but once dry, remained VERY flexible. When my foam test pieces were bent, the Acrylstik rebounded to the original shape, where as the regular hot glue did not.

I'll definitely be switching over to using this stuff. Just figured I share.

41K7kmh76dL.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back